No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Highness

Didn't see a thread, so I'll start one.

I really enjoyed the film. The irreverent humor blended well with the established tropes of the genre, and I was laughing throughout. A few times I was rather pleasantly surprised.

Not many nitpicks at all, but then again, I was having fun. It took me a few minutes to understand that the two brothers have basically the same name, but that wasn't such a big deal.

Any other thoughts?
    Looking to take the "Bono" off my screenname.

Re: Your Highness

I liked it too. People have to be in a silly, playful mindset to appreciate it. From all the negative critic reviews, they were definitely not in the mood for silly fare when they saw it!
    www.cheapskate-a-holic.com Release your inner cheapskate!!

Comment

It was better than I was lead to expect from the reviews, and I liked it more than PINEAPPLE... but have no idea how this will ever show on network TV. It's seriously R rated. I laughed, and thought the elements of parody were great (from the mechanical bird to the endless shots of them marching on mountain tops like in LOTR). I also thought the hand villain guy was a cool idea. Not a perfect movie (may use one of the big flaws in a script tip) but no reason for the critics to trash it to this extreme. I think all of the reviews I read hated it because it was raunchy... and that's what it was supposed to be - a raunchy comedy.

What's interesting to me about this film: it tested *really* well and everyone thought it was going to be a big hit... but it wasn't. Is that because McBride isn't a star? Because they didn't want to see a raunchy comedy this week? Because there's a difference between test screenings and when a film opens?

- Bill
      Free Script Tips:
      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I had been looking forward to this film. I was expecting a raunchy comedy - an American Pie meets LORT sort of raunch, but the jokes consistently misfired. McBride's character did not go to any great length to avoid danger nor did he go to any great length to become heroic (SPOILER: a wall of eyes said he was worthy, that's it). The whole film felt like it was made with the assumption that the audience was too smart for the obvious humor and therefore made no effort to elevate it or take risks. It relied on us being amused by the premise alone, "Hey look, fantasy characters talking like foul mouthed teens and doing 'naughty' things." Better, "Hey geeks, here's your four years of high school without the paper and dice. But with real chicks."

Can anyone remember a single thing from the film - not in the trailer - that they found funny and told their friends to see it as a result? Lazar was the funniest character but the all the funny was in the red-band trailer.
        "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

nor did he go to any great length to become heroic
          That was my big problem with the film. He starts out as a whinny worthless slacker... and ends up as one, too. I could not understand why he's a hero at the end (etc). (escpecially the "etc").

- Bill
          Free Script Tips:
          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I liked this! In fact my wife wanted to see the "Hanna" film, but we decided instead to check this one out! Oh, don't get me wrong! We will eventually see the other film, but this was something I'd been waiting to see since I heard about it!

Enjoyed the two brothers and loved the ending... without giving away a spoiler here... but check this one out!

=D
            D. Alin
            http://alinproduction.blogspot.com Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Basically) [Skype me at "Buyitpc" - I will surely love to talk!]

Comment

Originally posted by Kermet Key View Post
              Can anyone remember a single thing from the film - not in the trailer - that they found funny and told their friends to see it as a result?
              The only thing I remember from the trailer was Portman in a chastity-belt thong, so I apologize if any of these were in the trailer.

Just to name a few....(Highlight due to spoilage):

-"We're here to help you kill Lazaar and she's on our side now!" Nods... "Nice"
              -The minotaur dick, he would not take that disgusting thing off!
              -Awesome toppless village
              -"If your vagina is anything like my hand, we should have no problem."
              -James Franco's awful singing

Comment

Originally posted by ProBono Writer View Post
                The only thing I remember from the trailer was Portman in a chastity-belt thong, so I apologize if any of these were in the trailer.

Just to name a few....(Highlight due to spoilage):

-"We're here to help you kill Lazaar and she's on our side now!" Nods... "Nice" That was funny and worth sharing?
                -The minotaur dick, he would not take that disgusting thing off! Got old quick.
                -Awesome toppless village Yes. But funny?
                -"If your vagina is anything like my hand, we should have no problem." In the red-band.
                -James Franco's awful singing Not worth seeing the movie
                As I said, I did want to see this one. I was looking forward to it. Perhaps I had too high expectations.
                "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

Originally posted by Kermet Key View Post
                  As I said, I did want to see this one. I was looking forward to it. Perhaps I had too high expectations.
                  To each their own. But I have told other people to see it, FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                    Is that because McBride isn't a star?

It's not that he couldn't be a star (and I really do love him), it's just that Americans don't really go in for his 'type' which is a sarcastic, mean-spirited jerk who ultimately does the right thing, if only for selfish reasons, but doesn't really have any true catharsis.

We prefer the dim-witted klutz who makes unintentional mistakes and then pays for them, hopefully while getting kicked in the nuts (see any Kevin James movie).

But I couldn't seriously recommend Your Highness to anyone. It wasn't really a spoof, and it wasn't anachronistic enough to be absurd. It was just an R rated homage to 80's fantasy flicks, most of which aren't even remembered by the 15 to 24 core audience.

Add to that the fact that every joke was in the red band trailer or print review, and, yeah, I didn't really have a great time. But I was out there, supporting the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by ProBono Writer View Post
                      To each their own. But I have told other people to see it, FWIW.
                      Understood. Comedy is subjective. I thought my experience might be indicative of why it's not getting a great reception from the critics.

Comment

While I wasn't blown away by Insidious, I'm taking plenty of satisfaction that the $800,000 movie outperformed the $49.9 million dollar Your Highness.

Not that I have a problem with stoner comedies...I just like them to at least measure up to their modest ambition.
                        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Working...
                        X