• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fox Writer's Intensive/Residency Program

Fox in-house writer's diversity programs-

http://www.fox.com/audiencestrategy/...tersintensive/

Re: Fox Writer's Intensive/Residency Program

Posted about this in another thread, but the deadline for the Writers' Intensive is November 9th, and you need to be nominated and get your login info for the site before you can apply, so if anyone's thinking of going for this, now would be the time to hit up anyone who can nominate you.
    The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter -- it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. - Mark Twain

Comment

The devil is in the details for this offering.

Ten writers will be accepted, trained, loved and nurtured... but in the end, there can be only one to win. Why just one? And win what, exactly? The promise that you'll meet with people all over, but no job.

There's more about first-look stuff and whether they buy your pilot or not.

It seems like a good start, but there need to be, um, more OPPORTUNITIES maybe? IMHO
      I'm always right.

Comment

None of the other network programs for TV promise a job, either, and the others don't commit to even one sale. But those other programs make an effort to get writers coming out of them staffed, and they do a decent job of succeeding. I'm not sure a program can promise to do more. (Other programs add a financial incentive for showrunners by paying towards a program writers salary for a while, but they don't usually put that on their main info page, either, so I have no idea if the Fox program does it.) What are they going to do, promise to force you on to the staff of a show, regardless of how well you do in meetings or the quality of the work you produce in the program?

I suppose they could commit to more pilot sales, but that's a HUGE financial commitment, and they have no idea what scripts they'll be getting.

The appeal of these programs isn't just access or opportunities but the chance to have people in the know help you develop and fine tune your work. I'm not saying they're the end-all, be-all, but for a writer who keeps coming close but not quite landing the sale or getting the job, the combo of guidance AND more rooms to get into could make the difference. You learn from the people who might otherwise pass on you what it is you might be doing to work against yourself.

I guess I don't get the suspicion. There's no cost to the writer for this program. You fill out an application and then show up two days a week for three months. Why exactly should that earn a guarantee of work or a sale? I guess you could argue that it's all for show or PR, but again, it doesn't seem much different from other respected network programs, and, anyway, you don't get much PR on a program that doesn't do anything. Their profile depends on having success with the writers they develop.

To me, wanting them to guarantee more would be like expecting a university to promise you post-grad employment the second you get in. Obviously, opinions will vary, and you may think I'm just hovering in Drink-the-Kool-Aid-Land, but to me, it seems like any other program, mentorship, internship, etc -- if you're lucky enough to get in, you work hard, learn stuff, and the astronomical odds against cracking into this business shift a bit more in your favor.
        The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter -- it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. - Mark Twain

Comment

I was asked to submit materials to one of the programs I graduated from in hopes of getting nominated. But I found out that much info was still unknown about Fox and the overall process...it's still new... well at least that's what my program contact said.... they couldn't tell me the evaluating criteria and what they need/want (besides great writing of course and unique voices).

Then, I was thrown when I submitted to my program's "gatekeeper/head of the program" and they said, "this is great for you but what do I get out of it?"

I asked them what they meant and they side they got blindsided by Fox and didn't know they were one of the groups who could submit writers and they may not actually want to submit. I was WTF!? Submit me!!!! Why did you ask in the first place? Ahhhhh politics/people/projections

Comment

Jillybob -- just curious. If you don't mind answering...

Were you nominated by one of the selected groups on their website? Or were you nominated by your reps?

And how did that process go down? Did you ask them to put your name in or did they approach you, or was there a prelim weening within your group/rep's clients, etc...

And so what -- you got an email from Fox saying you've been nominated and here's your login info?

Would be cool to know if you feel like answering, as general or specific as you feel comfortable.

Comment

Alfred, here's my experience:

I found out about this program from a friend, then got on the phone with my rep and asked him to nominate me. He literally had gotten the Fox email that same day and was planning to nominate me anyways, so I just sped up the process. A week later, he forwarded me the password from Fox.

From what I read from the site and from what I know about other network programs, this is a great opportunity, but it is by no means a golden ticket. But if you're not currently staffed or worse, you're not even repped, why wouldn't you want to at least apply? Not really understanding the resistance or the expectation that a major network is going to hand out money to people who have no credits or little experience.

Comment

onthecusp -- thanks for the breakdown on your experience so far. Good luck to you with the application process.

Yeah, it's definitely a good opportunity in my book. It's all about exposure and just being put in the room with people who, if you impress, have the ability to push your career forward. Sure it's gonna be tough to get in -- but if you do, the worst case scenario is you get some kick ass knowledge dropped on you via the weekly meetings and you make some good contacts. Why anyone would think that's a bad situation is beyond me.

Comment

Alfred,

My experience is similar to onthecusp's. I emailed my reps asking about it, and shortly afterward I got an email with my login info. I actually wasn't sure I'd be able to get nominated via my rep (just because Industry's a big company with a lot of clients and they can only nominate a limited number of people), so I had backup contacts at Film Independent and Women in Film I was going to ask, if I had to. *

I'm sure, with it being the first year of the program, they'll be finding their way and figuring out what works, and there may be things they'll do differently next time. On the other hand, it's not rocket science. Put promising writers together with people who want to help and educate them (or just meet them), and it's bound to be helpful.

I am concerned because I've never been on staff or made a sale, and they do seem to mainly want that. But I've worked as a journalist and sold short fiction and had plays produced, so I'll play up that.

I do think it's a real long shot, but I would never not try. If history is any indication, I have an excellent chance of being a finalist but not getting in. Which will be as fun as ever, but I'm shooting for an all-network set.

* Aside - I know everybody tells you this, but it bears repeating: you always have to be letting your reps know about opportunities that you want to be considered for, or places you think your script should be going out. My manager is a powerhouse demon person when it comes to getting me out there, and still, I'll bring her info about a program or say, "How about this pilot for this studio, since it's in line with what they're doing right now," and she'll say it's a great idea & follow up on it. Your reps have other clients and can't possibly be thinking of you 100% of the time. Plus, they're not psychic, so they can't be doing what you wish they'd do unless you mention that you'd wish they'd do it. So keep your eyes open and speak up.

Comment

Working...
                  X