No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Loving your character too much

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
    ...and when a script is done or during the rewrite process i always print hardcopies and hand write notes with a red or blue precise V5.
    Exact same!

The other tweaker thing I do is print out the scene locations and highlight them with different colored highlighters. Yellow, Blue, Pink, Orange. So that I can get a visual overview of the flow. "Too much pink in this section, I need some orange" Ha!

Dead serious! LOL
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Turns out, mountain towns are not great places for writing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
        Seaside towns are great.

walk on the beach, come home

write

walk to the local pub, come home

write

Swim, home

write

Look at the beach houses, work out how much they're worth, get despondent

write
        I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Okay. Hmm. They’ve worked out well for me in the past. Why aren’t they good for you? What happened?
          “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
            Okay. Hmm. They’ve worked out well for me in the past. Why aren’t they good for you? What happened?
            Well all the coffee shops close at 5 pm, for starters

Look, I actually live in a small mountain town now, so I should have known that, obviously. But I got sick of being part of the scene in my own town, and I needed to get away, so I thought that another, slightly more resort-y town would... yadayada. Doesn't matter. It felt good to be somewhere different, but productive and inspiring? No.

I've realized that productive for me is either the library with headphones on, or... a cafe in Paris or Madrid. Big city. Hopefully removed from your world.

That said, I got a whole lot of material just from hanging out at the coffee shop in my own town. But then I felt that I had gotten what I needed out of it. Great stuff, but enough is enough. And while I'm OK with being a regular, I'm not OK with being a fixture.

As for nature, which some writers find refuge in, it's great, and it's inspiring on a lot of levels, but at least for this chick, it's not what inspires writing. I need people and dialogue and all sorts of noise, because those are what create the vibe in my writing.

Whatever. Live and learn. I typically need to leave town to have a decent shower, so at least that was a positive experience (zero water pressure in my apartment)

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
              Seaside towns are great.

walk on the beach, come home

write

walk to the local pub, come home

write

Swim, home

write

Look at the beach houses, work out how much they're worth, get despondent

write

Well you have certainly made me want to visit New Zealand!!!!

Comment

...but productive and inspiring? No.

I've realized that productive for me is either the library with headphones on, or... a cafe in Paris or Madrid. Big city. Hopefully removed from your world.
                I'm not being facetious when I say this: Have you considered traveling to the location your story takes place in and writing there? I've done it only once (alas...) but it was fukkin EPIC! I felt like I was IN the movie in REAL LIFE.

Prob ain't gonna work for the Matrix... but Manchester/Sacario etc? Fo sho!

But... same... I need noise/chaos. I need characters. Locations. Etc. I could never write in the woods in isolation.

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                  I'm not being facetious when I say this: Have you considered traveling to the location your story takes place in and writing there? I've done it only once (alas...) but it was fukkin EPIC! I felt like I was IN the movie in REAL LIFE.

Prob ain't gonna work for the Matrix... but Manchester/Sacario etc? Fo sho!

But... same... I need noise/chaos. I need characters. Locations. Etc. I could never write in the woods in isolation.
                  Dude... I moved from a big city to a small town and... the rest is history.

I AM where my story be.

Half the town is in this freaking story and I am going to have to choose yet another pen name if this thing ever goes anywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                    Here's what I think: you get your inspiration one place, you write stuff down, you plot and you structure, etc., and then maybe you isolate yourself somewhere else to actually write the damn thing.
                    I get that.
                    But why does it always have to be a cabin in the woods?
                    I don't get that.
                    I got stung by a bee the other day. That was actually a little traumatizing. The last thing I would want to worry about is more vicious wildlife attacks while trying to write my masterpiece.
                    Tarantino went to Amsterdam to write PULP. I've often wondered: how much did he isolate himself to write versus how much time did he give himself to enjoy the city? These are the questions I find interesting in life

Comment

I still think this is all just procrastinating, which trust me, I'm great at too. There is no perfect place to write. We just trick ourselves into thinking that.

I write most of my stuff at my desk in an uncomfortable chair.

I love the idea of writing in a coffee shop. But every time I try to do that, I have a great time, but I post on DD instead, drink coffee, check email -- I do everything but actually write my script.

I wish I could do it... but I seemingly have to be at home, missing out on life, to be able to write. I can dream and think of stories, but actual pages -- i have to bleed them out of me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                        I still think this is all just procrastinating, which trust me, I'm great at too. There is no perfect place to write. We just trick ourselves into thinking that.

I write most of my stuff at my desk in an uncomfortable chair.

I love the idea of writing in a coffee shop. But every time I try to do that, I have a great time, but I post on DD instead, drink coffee, check email -- I do everything but actually write my script.

I wish I could do it... but I seemingly have to be at home, missing out on life, to be able to write. I can dream and think of stories, but actual pages -- i have to bleed them out of me.
                        Try the library. With headphones and some rain sounds. Nothing has ever been as good for me when it comes to actually writing the thing that you're writing. Hands down.

The cafes? For me, the best places to observe and record human behavior.

Comment

We all have a different way...

The last few things I've written. Yup, same, sitting in a box. FUKKIN HATE IT!

But, when your story goes from NYC, to AZ, to the fukked up ugly slums of Mexico... and you already bought plane tickets. Well... you'd better fukkin write something because that's the ONLY reason this trip exists.

I dunno about Tarantino, but I did ZERO sight seeing on that journey (and I was solo). 101% focus on the script every second I was a wake, constantly on the move and meeting new people. You'd think I'd already gotten financing to shoot it, that's the way I acted. HA! Fukkin fun as sh!t tho...

I just wanted to live into it as much as humanly possible... Doing it that way SUPER informed the script, for me. And FORCED me to FOCUS!

Comment

Nope the library is where I take my kids and it's actually so good near me that is sort of my old school video store as they get everything -- so it's literally a place I go to for fun!

I'm telling you, I get inspired sitting by the pool, but unless I'm there all the time, I'm going to day dream and not write.

Because writing is work and I want to play!

Comment

I think it's awesome that it's different for everyone. The fact that not everybody has the same taste / habits / triggers /etc. is precisely what enables us to keep the hope alive.

Nighty night, peeps.

Comment

Apparently Andy Breckman didn't love his character too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msAu...XDN1j-&index=1
                                STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Working...
                                X