It's already in development at a studio...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's already in development at a studio...

It's already in development at a studio...

Words I never want to hear.
    So once I have my logline or concept I do a thorough search for any similar stories in development and then proceed if the way is clear. Managers always hear the logline before I proceed and provide notes at every step of the process. Thus they would tell me of any similar projects in the market. Done Deal Sales is my number one source for information but I use the internet and read the trades too.
    My questions...

Why is a script dead if a person finds out it's in development at another studio?
    Why can't there be two films about (a boy who switches bodies with an adult)? Or two films about (a meteor on a collision course with Earth)? Godzilla and Cloverfield - Would Cloverfield have died if it was suddenly revealed that Godzilla was being developed at another studio? What about Matrix, The Thirteenth Floor and Dark City?

My point is that there are similar projects always in development? Is the weaker project doomed and the stronger script fated to crush its competitors even if it's just arrived on the market and is a stronger concept?

What are your sources to be aware of what's in development?
    All input is gladly welcome.

Re: It's already in development at a studio...

Originally posted by Raff View Post
    What are your sources to be aware of what's in development?
    Manager.
    2011 Screenwriting Goal: 15 pages a day.

Comment

I think ithe only way you will have success at putting something out with similar concept is if you are already a well established pro.

It does happen, see Tombstone/Wyatt Earp which were released about 6 months apart, but were filming at the same time. Tombstone (May 93' to August 93') and Wyatt Earp (July 93' to December 93').

But considering Wyatt Earp, which was the later released, did horrifically in the American Box Office, it may explain the reluctance to take on a similar project.

It's the only example i can think of where they were actually produced concurrently by studios and featured theatrical releases. I am sure there may be others, I know Jumpers/Push were very similar but they were about a year apart in their releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucha Scribre View Post
        Manager.
        It's On The Grid is also not a bad bet.

Comment

Try changing the location, genders, or genre. Even without the "it's already out" context, sometimes changing the genre gives your project a necessary kick in the pants.

So, "Fail Safe" (thriller/drama) and "Dr. Strangelove" (satire) both came out in 1964. Both were very similar stories and both were very highly thought of.

Big stories, about big issues.

But if it's just a stupid comedy about a guy who can't find a date, I don't know if you could pull it off.

Comment

Originally posted by madyellowduck View Post
            It's On The Grid is also not a bad bet.
            Yeah, I agree. That's how I was finding out about other things in development. But, I've relied more on asking my manager.
            2011 Screenwriting Goal: 15 pages a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucha Scribre View Post
              Yeah, I agree. That's how I was finding out about other things in development. But, I've relied more on asking my manager.
              Try a pooled sub.

Comment

It is always a rough day when this happens.

It becomes very difficult to find the balance between finding something that you want to write, but will also make your reps happy.

Back in August, I came up with:

I DO OVER - A groom with cold feet wakes up every day on the morning his fiance is marrying someone else.

Awesome. Everyone is on board. Let's write this. THEN we find...

REPEAT AFTER ME-
                Logline: A woman realizes she is reliving her disastrous wedding day again and again and begins to question getting married.
                Writer: Deborah Kaplan Harry Elfont
                Agency: Creative Artists Agency Creative Artists Agency
                Mngmnt Firm: Benderspink Benderspink
                Studio: Universal Pictures
                Prod. Co: Stuber Productions
                Genre: Romantic Comedy
                Logged: 5/6/2010
                More: Assignment. Based on an original pitch by Dave H. Johnson. Scott Stuber will produce. Universal's Scott Bernstein & Maradith Frenkel will oversee.

We took a hard look at who was attached and whether it was worth pursuing when we would basically be eight months behind.

With those names attached... it just would have been too much of an uphill battle.

It is part of the game. I beat three other writers to the punch when we took Funemployment wide. I DO OVER was the third project that someone else beat me to. Honestly, I was just relieved I found out BEFORE I spent six months on the project.
                "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

IMDbPro lists everything that is in development, pre production, production, etc.

I looked up a friend's movie and it said "in development" - followed by "not necessarily to go to production".

I assume that means that a script can get to the development stage and the producers can still pull the plug.

Echo

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Jarvinen View Post
                    IMDbPro lists everything that is in development, pre production, production, etc.

I looked up a friend's movie and it said "in development" - followed by "not necessarily to go to production".

I assume that means that a script can get to the development stage and the producers can still pull the plug.

Echo
                    ALL THE TIME
                    "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

If your script is not a script at all, but just an idea, oh well, shake it off and write something else.

But if you've went beyond an idea, and you have a solid outline for execution, or even better, an actual solid script -- then write it anyway. Remember, the worst thing that can happen to a good script is that it can become a great writing sample that can attract reps and OWA's.

Emphasis on the words GOOD script.
                      "U don' know me, muddafugga..."
                      - Al Pacino, Carlito's Way

Comment

To be clear this example of having a screenplay finished that's already in development hasn't happened to me.

I just want to make sure that it doesn't happen to me, or anyone on this board, and was seeking a stronger foolproof methodology.

An ounce of prevention...

Comment

Happening all the time. When you start taking meetings, and they say what else do you have? Mark it; half the stuff you pitch they'll tell you is in devo somewhere else, LOL. Just because it's not announced or front and center on IMDB doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And just to add... doesn't mean these projects will ever be made either.

Comment

The downside of not doing project research struck home with me shortly after completing a script a few years ago. I was at the movies and saw a trailer for a major HW movie very similar to my script, and my jaw dropped open when they showed part of one of my scenes with almost exactly the same dialogue!

The film was being shot at the same time I came up with the idea, so there was no funny business. But after that I never again laughed at release forms saying the company may be developing the same or similar projects.

To make matters worse, the film wasn't a success so I felt I should shelve the script.
                            TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

This has been a pretty interesting topic. I've had a few individual scene encounters like this, but nothing major.

It's a rock and a hard place. If you do "creative", the likelihood of your story already being in development is remote. Then again, if you do "creative", the story and structure may be so unrecognizable that the chances of it being developed are remote.

So it is at this I have happily concluded to avoid the norm and instead keep true to my art, by writing the strange and unexpected, hoping that all my querying yields that most desirable result: That my properties cross the right person's desk, at the right time of day, perhaps right after they've had a nice call with their better half, right before they get a cranky call from somebody else, right after they've made some spare change from their latest film and can reinvest, etc. etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X