James Cameron - God Among Screenwriters or Hack?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Cameron - God Among Screenwriters or Hack?

We can see in a great many scripts across a range of genres, that he is truly a master of genre and structure.

I forgive him for True Lies and Avatar given the quality of his other screenplays. Yes his dialogue is clunky, but dialogue is a skill you either have or don't, and yes some of his sub plots can be derivative, but every writer has their flaws.

What does everybody else think?
    Last edited by MadSam; 02-05-2012, 03:31 PM.
    "This kid is going to be big"

Re: James Cameron - God Among Screenwriters or Hack?

'Forgive him' for True Lies and Avatar?

Seriously?

'True Lies' was piece of well-written entertainment that did it's job so well that it grossed over a third of a BILLION dollars in the box office.

How would you have improved the script? Do you think your version would been more successful or less successful than the Cameron version?

Mac
    (PS: Re: "it's job". Yes - I know the 'rule' that possessive personal pronouns should never have an apostrophe. I just don't agree with it)
    Last edited by Mac H.; 10-08-2011, 10:19 PM.
    New blogposts:
    *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
    *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
    *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
    *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Yea, I thought True Lies was an awesome piece of work.
      One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Hack? The guy is brilliant. Way back when he was writing The Terminator, Rambo and the Abyss on three separate computers right next to each other.

You try doing that.
        Introduce a little anarchy.

Comment

Tell ya what, if I could have that kind of success I wouldn't give much of a damn about people calling me a hack.

I think it would be safe to say that his goal isn't making obscure movies that academics or anonymous internet posters think are brilliant despite having box office earnings of $12,420. If his goal is to make movies that are entertaining to a large part of the population, it's an understatement to say he's been successful.

Comment

I agree, the guy is brilliant, though some have criticised his screenwriting. However the success of True Lies was not down to the screenplay, which I think can be held up as an example of very clumsy screenwriting. He has of course more than made up for that in numerous other screenplays that showcase true talent.

Comment

Originally posted by MadSam View Post
              I agree, the guy is brilliant, though some have criticised his screenwriting. However the success of True Lies was not down to the screenplay, which I think can be held up as an example of very clumsy screenwriting. He has of course more than made up for that in numerous other screenplays that showcase true talent.
              If there's one thing that Cameron has showed in his writing, it's his understanding of the craft. He is so locked into structure that he makes the most out of playing within the rules. Almost to the point of unoriginality.

But even then his stories are so well padded that they're hard to not enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by BurningWorld View Post
                If there's one thing that Cameron has showed in his writing, it's his understanding of the craft. He is so locked into structure that he makes the most out of playing within the rules. Almost to the point of unoriginality.

But even then his stories are so well padded that they're hard to not enjoy.
                Agreed, like I said he's a master of genre and combining elements. By the way where did you pick up that about him writing on three simultaneous computers?

Comment

Originally posted by MadSam View Post
                  Agreed, like I said he's a master of genre and combining elements. By the way where did you pick up that about him writing on three simultaneous computers?
                  I remember reading it somewhere, completely blew me away. Couldn't imagine juggling that.

Comment

He's a good businessman. Let's leave it at that.

Will we be talking about Titantic or his other films 30 years from now (other than about their grosses) the same way we would e.g.- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, or There Will Be Blood? No. But that's not really the point. The point is $$$.

And I've got to respect the man for at least making a decent product, compared to the embarrassingly awful work of a similar businessman, Michael Bay. He's good at making good populist films, and the clunky dialogue or cliches are either missed by their audience or overlooked for their spectacle value.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanq View Post

Will we be talking about Titantic or his other films 30 years from now (other than about their grosses) the same way we would e.g.- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, or There Will Be Blood? No. But that's not really the point. The point is $$$.

And I've got to respect the man for at least making a decent product, compared to the embarrassingly awful work of a similar businessman, Michael Bay. He's good at making decent populist films, and the clunky dialogue or cliches are either missed by their audience or overlooked for their spectacle value.
                      Dude, come on. A good businessman and leave it at that? The man has changed film in more ways than one and happens to make movies that are universal, therefore they make a lot of money. 30 years from now he'll be accepting a Greatest Achievement award in film making, that's where he will be.

You don't have to like his movies, but you can't say he hasn't been at the forefront of motion picture industry from the moment he got on the scene.

Comment

lol at anyone calling James Cameron a hack.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanq View Post

And I've got to respect the man for at least making a decent product, compared to the embarrassingly awful work of a similar businessman, Michael Bay. He's good at making good populist films, and the clunky dialogue or cliches are either missed by their audience or overlooked for their spectacle value.
                          I think there's a lot more to the industry than just being a good business man. Perfect example of someone who is ONLY a good business man: George Lucas. He has some nifty ideas but let's face it, the only time that the execution has been amazing has been when someone else is writing, directing, editing, etc. He is a brilliant marketer and business man. But when he tries to be creative... well, look at the last three Star Wars to see what kind of sh*t being nothing more than a "good businessman" can produce.

Comment

This board kills me.
                            @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Of those three only Titanic will be remembered for anything.

Cameron may not be the greatest screenwriter of all time but his work is solid and more importantly his words are transformed into great movies. Isn't that what screenwriting is all about?

Cameron knows his audience and he delivers exactly what they want. Only writers and critics complain about cliches and clunky dialog.
                              Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Working...
                              X