X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sicario

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
    Who am I to argue with unnamed sources.
    Someone who is too lazy to do cursory research yet feels confident enough to sarcastically mouth off on a subject they clearly know little about? Just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
      Someone who is too lazy to do cursory research yet feels confident enough to sarcastically mouth off on a subject they clearly know little about? Just a guess.
      You guys both offer great insights and posts, hate to see you arguing.

Personally, I loved the movie. I do like that we had to learn things with Blunt's character and that she was an outlier, being used, and I felt it was much more realistic that she was treated that way by the guys using her. Great cast, great cinematography.

I really liked that it wasn't front loaded with info the way so many movies are now, and it seems like that's a prerequisite now, to explain everything so quickly. It was refreshing to get that sense of mystery centered around her involvement.

Comment

QUESTION FOR ANYBODY WHO SAW THE MOVIE: When Benicio entered the room where the cartel leader's brother was being detained....what was implied in that scene once they cut to a shot of the drain? They showed Benicio basically shoving himself (from the waist down) up against the drug boss's face while he was tied up and sitting down in a chair. Maybe I'm way off the mark here but for a minute I thought it was implied that he did something sexual to the drug boss like raped him or some twisted sh*t. They cut to another scene as if to say whatever Benicio did in this scene was so dark and terrible we can't even show you a hint of what happened.
        One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

I think you hit the nail on the head. Or maybe they made him drink until he had organ damage, or maybe something else, or maybe all of the above. For my taste, it was a good film, but not as good as I'd hoped. Kinda predictable, actually -- but maybe I'm twisted That, and I get that Benicio's character had a history, but he seemed a bit old (and chunky) for that role. In fact, ALL those special ops guys seemed a bit long in the tooth. My uncle was special ops with 20 years service, and retired in his late thirties. And... after all she'd seen, her persistent -- obstinate even -- idealism just didn't ring true for me. Just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
            QUESTION FOR ANYBODY WHO SAW THE MOVIE: When Benicio entered the room where the cartel leader's brother was being detained....what was implied in that scene once they cut to a shot of the drain? They showed Benicio basically shoving himself (from the waist down) up against the drug boss's face while he was tied up and sitting down in a chair. Maybe I'm way off the mark here but for a minute I thought it was implied that he did something sexual to the drug boss like raped him or some twisted sh*t. They cut to another scene as if to say whatever Benicio did in this scene was so dark and terrible we can't even show you a hint of what happened.
            I think a lot of people were confused by that scene. He was going to water board him, which is why he grabbed the giant jug of water before entering the room. And Brolin makes the comment about him being a devil for giving him a stomach full of water beforehand. The moving his crotch into his face was just intimidation, as far as I could tell.

Comment

Originally posted by madworld View Post
              You guys both offer great insights and posts, hate to see you arguing.

Personally, I loved the movie. I do like that we had to learn things with Blunt's character and that she was an outlier, being used, and I felt it was much more realistic that she was treated that way by the guys using her. Great cast, great cinematography.

I really liked that it wasn't front loaded with info the way so many movies are now, and it seems like that's a prerequisite now, to explain everything so quickly. It was refreshing to get that sense of mystery centered around her involvement.
              Agree. And wow, the cinematography. Probably the best I've seen in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by nativeson View Post
                ... after all she'd seen, her persistent -- obstinate even -- idealism just didn't ring true for me. Just sayin'
                Yep this did bother me too. I felt like they were putting forth a very rational argument that she continually refused to listen to - even after finding out about what happened to benecio's character.

Comment

Agree. And wow, the cinematography. Probably the best I've seen in a long time.
                  It was awesome. There's a great interview with Deakins on Collider right now.

Comment

I think a lot of people were confused by that scene. He was going to water board him, which is why he grabbed the giant jug of water before entering the room. And Brolin makes the comment about him being a devil for giving him a stomach full of water beforehand. The moving his crotch into his face was just intimidation, as far as I could tell.
                    That's probably the case, I forgot Brolin said that. The "moving of his crotch into his face" just threw me off at that point I didn't know how low Benicio's character was willing to go.
                    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Some people say Bencio raped the guy. Because the camera aimed at the drain and showed no water was leaking out. I'm curious to hear what really happened in the scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Deion22 View Post
                        Some people say Bencio raped the guy. Because the camera aimed at the drain and showed no water was leaking out.
                        Exactly why I thought that.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

I disagree with anyone complaining about Blunt having little to do (as a character). In fact, I loved that. Because guess what...it was realistic. I was afraid from the previews that they'd make her some super badass, defying logic (there's a reason women aren't combat Rangers and it has nothing to do with equality), and I'm glad they didn't. She was completely out of her element (as was her partner), among hardened killers who do what they do for a living. The whole point was, she isn't a shark. Sure, it's different having the "protagonist" not be "the hero," but it makes sense. One could even argue that Benecio is the protagonist, and we're simply seeing the story from Blunt's POV. Oh, and Deakins will get an Oscar.
                          Well, I agree with you about realism - that character, in that situation, wouldn't affect the outcome of the situation. I thought the attitude of the deltas - "keep your finger off your trigger and your gun pointed down" was just right. Compared to them, she's an amateur.

But it gets to the question of if she's the right character to be the lead of the movie. If your story is such that a given character literally makes no decisions that affect the outcome of the main plot in any way, maybe that character isn't who you should pick as your lead.

(As for the female Army Rangers - I think given what we know about what happens to women when they seek to join all-male or predominantly-male institutions, we should treat "unnamed sources" that the trials were rigged in their favor with some skepticism; it's certainly possible that the trials were rigged, but it is at least as likely that there are people who would spread tales like that about them if they weren't.).

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
                            But it gets to the question of if she's the right character to be the lead of the movie. If your story is such that a given character literally makes no decisions that affect the outcome of the main plot in any way, maybe that character isn't who you should pick as your lead.
                            Yeah, this is where the ending fell flat for me, after about 80 minutes of otherwise solid building of tension. "Okay, I guess it really was Medellin's story all along!" Also, when there are "teams" as such, and nothing bad ever really happens to any of the team members . . . kinda undercuts the other tension that's been ratcheted up to this point. Compare to the opening sequence of the first Mission Impossible where *all* the team gets wiped out and now Ethan Hunt's world is truly turned upside down. Here, they pretty much get everything they want with no costs paid, except to Emily Blunt's ego I guess

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                              Yeah, this is where the ending fell flat for me, after about 80 minutes of otherwise solid building of tension. "Okay, I guess it really was Medellin's story all along!" Also, when there are "teams" as such, and nothing bad ever really happens to any of the team members . . . kinda undercuts the other tension that's been ratcheted up to this point. Compare to the opening sequence of the first Mission Impossible where *all* the team gets wiped out and now Ethan Hunt's world is truly turned upside down. Here, they pretty much get everything they want with no costs paid, except to Emily Blunt's ego I guess
                              This is one thing that did bother me (but just slightly). That no team member died, or from what I recall, was even shot (aside from Blunt). But in fairness, these are elite Delta guys, and frankly, their equipment, skills, and experience is vastly superior to that of the average cartel member's. But I do concur that it sort of takes away from the tension (kind of like Super-man because you know he can almost never be hurt).

Comment

This is one thing that did bother me (but just slightly). That no team member died, or from what I recall, was even shot (aside from Blunt). But in fairness, these are elite Delta guys, and frankly, their equipment, skills, and experience is vastly superior to that of the average cartel member's.
                                That actually is, I suspect, fairly realistic.

You look at the casualty data from something like the Battle of Mogadishu, where 150-or-so US Troops (most of whom were less well-trained than Deltas) fought 5000 locals, and almost all of the US casualties were related to vehicles being hit or people who essentially went on suicide missions.

I think under 10 US casualties came in situations other than that, despite the fact that the American's tactical situation was god-awful and they were outnumbered 30-1.

When amateurs - and guys guarding a cartel tunnel would absolutely be amateurs - go up against special forces, the amateurs lose. Badly.

I will say, about the film, that Emily Blunt was able to produce such an effective performance despite the script giving her so little to do says impressive things about her.

Comment

Working...
                                X