The advantage of having a short under your belt?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The advantage of having a short under your belt?

My ultimate goal is to become an established writer director in hollywood, the proximate goal, of course, being to get on the map/get a manager etc.

Now, my plan is to cold query managers with a couple of scripts and my question is how much of an advantage would it be having a well written and directed short under my belt. Would they care/not care?

And second question, what are the odds of getting any attention or work off a short that is not CGI heavy, just a comedy?

Re: The advantage of having a short under your belt?

I would say it would be a definite advantage. If you could win a couple of film festivals, it could easily generate some heat.

Comment

As DnagoForth mentioned, it doesn't hurt to win an award and have a couple shorts. I just interviewed Alethea Jones about her career and new movie "Fun Moms Dinner." She got her start by doing shorts and talks about it in the interview.

HTH,
      Last edited by KitchonaSteve; 08-04-2017, 03:15 PM. Reason: typo
      Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
      3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitri001 View Post
        My ultimate goal is to become an established writer director in hollywood, the proximate goal, of course, being to get on the map/get a manager etc.

Now, my plan is to cold query managers with a couple of scripts and my question is how much of an advantage would it be having a well written and directed short under my belt. Would they care/not care?

And second question, what are the odds of getting any attention or work off a short that is not CGI heavy, just a comedy?
        Having a short under your belt is especially useful if you want to be a writer/director, as the short will show off both skills.

As a writer alone, I've still found it useful to have my shorts made (by others). Going to festivals with your short is a great way to make contacts. And working with others on a short is also good for cementing relationships. The director of one of my shorts hired me to write a feature for him.

A well-written short can get you attention, with or without CGI. I recommend spending the time you need to make the script really stand out.

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

And here's my answer to my own question

David Sandberg made a 2 min short Lights Out that went viral and he got into Hollywood off that

Here's an interview with him telling the story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoAazPqORXA

Comment

Working...
          X