Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Draft Big Break 2017

Giant congratulations to Marjory Kaptanoglu! In the top 5 at Big Break with "Invader"!!!

Re: Final Draft Big Break 2017

Her name sounds familiar ... Congratulations to her!

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Thanks very much, Dan and ComicBent! The suspense is killing me. Their announcements go: qfs, semis, top 10, top 5, top 3, top 1 for each category, and then two months later, the grand prize.

But I'm grateful and happy they like my script so far!

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

I wonder what the after contest success rate is for QF and SF scripts. Of those 300 that get sent emails for requests to read the script, how many of them get picked up or get signed by a manager?

I think it is probably as low as 3.

Comment

At the risk of being Bobby Buzzkill, I don't think a semi finish does anything for you.

I was finalist/category winner and got zero interest from industry pros.

Of course, script won the period/historical category, so that may explain it. Or the script sucks. That could explain it, too.

Your results may vary.

Comment

So far I've had two requests from reputable managers to read the script, so that's something. I'm in a commercial category (sci-fi/fantasy) so I suppose that helps.

But yeah, it's typically been my experience that you have to be at least a finalist in most contests to get any notice at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Margie Kaptanoglu View Post
              So far I've had two requests from reputable managers to read the script, so that's something. I'm in a commercial category (sci-fi/fantasy) so I suppose that helps.
              Great news, Margie! Good luck!
              "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

But yeah, it's typically been my experience that you have to be at least a finalist in most contests to get any notice at all.
                Bravo!

You've certainly gone far enough to get attention. But, semis or QF? I still say no.

Comment

I also am in Top 5 with a Family story, surprising because I've done a significant amount of polishing on the script since the submission.

It's a long shot I'll make category finalist, and a drawback is I now won't be able to submit the improved script to Big Break contests in the future.

Comment

Thanks, UpandComing and Clint!

Goliath, I just looked back at the Big Break rules, and it says "category finalists" cannot reenter the same script in a future contest. But I'm not sure if they just mean the winner of each category, or all finalists in each category (starting from top 10??). I suspect the former. You might want to ask them if you don't win your category. In any case, congrats and good luck!

Comment

Thanks, UpandComing and Clint!

Goliath, I just looked back at the Big Break rules, and it says "category finalists" cannot reenter the same script in a future contest. But I'm not sure if they just mean the winner of each category, or all finalists in each category (starting from top 10??). I suspect the former. You might want to ask them if you don't win your category. In any case, congrats and good luck!
                      Thanks, good luck to you too.

I'm quite sure they mean Top 10 finalists and above, if they meant just the winners they would have said "category winners" not "category finalists". I'll check with them though after the contest ends.

Comment

Working...
                      X