X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Teaser trailer has dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wji-BZ0oCwg

It's cool to be getting this film and I have faith in Edwards (even if Godzilla was so-so), the teaser is sort of a mixed bag for me tho, in the sense that it throws you in and out of the Star Wars Universe, case in point - Forest Whitaker is just someone I associate with Battlefield Earth and Star Trek and the far eastern martial arts are out of place.

Overall though, I like it.
    Last edited by Captain Jack Sparrow; 04-07-2016, 05:46 AM.

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

I see that this is what Disney will be cranking out under the Star Wars label from now till infinity: one flick after another of Mary Sue fan fiction.

Can't wait to miss it.

Comment

Downton Abbey Wars, replete with wise black man trope

Comment

Is it me or does this not look far better than the garbage they served up in the last one?
        Eric
        www.scriptreadguaranteed.com

Comment

i find the lack of humor/fun disturbing

Comment

It's great to see Twitter's already dived into the rabbit-hole of 'if you don't think this is BRILLIANT you're a racist/sexist/whatever manbaby'.

To be honest I'm amazed anyone has any opinion on this, it just feels like a few cut-scenes from a decent SW computer game. Even my daughters - who loved Force Awakens, dig Rey etc - were completely underwhelmed by it.
            My stuff

Comment

Originally posted by nativeson View Post
              Downton Abbey Wars, replete with wise black man trope
              You joke, but I would totally watch a Downton Abbey/Star Wars crossover movie. That sounds amazing.

Comment

Marvel was clever to make many of its films into genre pieces so if this one can be either a Bourne/Bond type thriller or WWII with lasers film, or some combo of both, this could turn out better than expected.

There is the problem that we already knows what happens to the Empire's big weapon but if you don't worry about the real-world fad of extended cinematic universes this movie should be worth a ticket to be entertained for a few hours. There's roughly zero chance it will have the impact the first two Star Wars films had or to make any top 100 movie lists but that's okay.
                Give it all and ask for no return/And very soon you'll see and you'll begin to learn/That it's alright, yes, it's alright...

Comment

Originally posted by omjs View Post
                  You joke, but I would totally watch a Downton Abbey/Star Wars crossover movie. That sounds amazing.
                  I would watch Cockney Star Wars, with Michael Caine in his Get Carter trench coat

Comment

It might me being a misogynist prick, but I allready hate the female lead. I'm so tired of these uber masculine rebel females that know how to kick butt. I just don't buy that.

Forest Whittaker is a cool dude though. I wished he got the chance to do more roles like this. Ghost dog is one of my favourite movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Bananos View Post
                      It might me being a misogynist prick,
                      "might"?

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
                        I see that this is what Disney will be cranking out under the Star Wars label from now till infinity: one flick after another of Mary Sue fan fiction.

Can't wait to miss it.
                        Yeah! I mean the original Star Wars didn't have some sort of kick ass woman character that was obvious more together, braver, and skilled compared to any of the men who were supposed to be saving her. #sarcasmfont

If you don't like highly competent female characters, Star Wars might not be the IP for you. But the Batman Vs. Superman movie might be more up your alley.

Comment

Problem I've had with this and other prequel-type stories is staying in the moment with the characters and pulling for them to complete their mission. Will they or won't they? Oh, that's right, they will and a great deal of them will die in the process.

But as a SW fan I'll go out of curiousity, as will other fans and the film will make a bunch of money. And Disney will assume that prequels are exactly what the people want, look how much money we made. More prequels!

Comment

I just find this (as much as one can tell from a teaser) and Force Awakens are good films but not great films, Star Wars is sort of like pizza, even when it's cold it's still good. These films are well put together but suffer from mediocre scripts (I'm just going off the dialogue in this teaser which is not a good sign), looks like a fairly generic heist plot as well.

I wish Disney weren't so obsessed with diversity in these Star Wars films because it's frankly getting to the point of being distracting. I get that they wanted an Asian guy in there for the China market, but when you got him doing martial arts dressed in robes it just looks like an ancient Chinese warrior in space, which jolts you out of the scene. Did he have to be doing martial arts?

They're definitely playing up the Katniss vibe something fierce in that last shot.

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                              Yeah! I mean the original Star Wars didn't have some sort of kick ass woman character that was obvious more together, braver, and skilled compared to any of the men who were supposed to be saving her. #sarcasmfont

If you don't like highly competent female characters, Star Wars might not be the IP for you. But the Batman Vs. Superman movie might be more up your alley.
                              I don't have any problem with competent females. I have a problem when a competent woman is one who knows kung fu. It's become a cliche and actually works against it's, presumably, feminist message. Leia, Ripley and Samus Aran are competent females. The character in this trailer falls in the category of the females in male fantasies like Resident Evil and Underworld. The only difference is that she doesn't look as hot, and that is the only difference. It's uninspired and insulting from a feminist perspective. Of course, the end result may be entirely different from what's seen in the trailer. But my point still stands. Make her outsmart the bad guys, without knowing how to fight for once.
                              Last edited by Bananos; 04-07-2016, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X