Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westworld

This was a solid start, even though we find our way into the story through the robots and their programmers, as opposed to the guests at Westworld

tech talk is techy and it seems to be a recurring problem in Michael Crichton's futuristic theme parks that the employees ignore blatant warning signs because "profits!"

but i'm hooked so far and interested to see how it all unfolds. i enjoy the shift from the movies simple premise of "robots go bad" to a deeper exploration of AI and the implications for what is "reality."

Re: Westworld

Enjoyed it..the Ed Harris character in particular has me intrigued...

Comment

That was one of the best series openers I've seen in years. It felt like The Matrix meets Deadwood.
      TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

I so wanted to like this. I liked the original film. I'm a big Michael Crichton fan. But the pilot felt like a big convoluted mess to me.

***SPOILERS BELOW***

It's terribly hard to tell who's a robot and who's not.

Large numbers of robots are getting shot every day, wrecking their bodies (which also somehow hold buckets of blood), and yet the next day the same robot is back, looking all repaired and fine. Do they upload the robot brain into a new body or spend all night repairing them? This could get expensive.

In the original film, this was supposed to be an amusement park, like Jurassic Park using a Western theme instead of dinosaurs. So why would you have robots acting out scenarios that no guests (or "newcomers-) are there to watch? What is the point of that? The robots should be putting on the show for the customers, not for themselves. Why does our female protag robot have a conversation with her robot dad every morning on her way out, when no one is there to watch it? Also, the hosts put on a huge shootout which I think involved all robots and two guest observers. So twenty robots got shot to pieces so two guests could see it? By comparison, there must be thousands of people visiting Disneyland every day. Even if this is a playground for the rich, you can't afford to tear down your rides every day for the benefit of two to three guests. Not just the robots, the locations and props all have to be fixed up too every day.

I would also say that this would be much more intriguing and scary if it was told from the POV of a guest, not a robot, as the guest slowly realizes things are going terribly wrong. I think that was the case in the film too.

If the premise is not making any sense to me, it's pretty impossible to get into the rest of the story. I might try episode two to see if anything starts to make more sense, but I'm not sure yet.

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

Wow, I think this show is fantastic. They're tapping into the moral and ethical issues well. And I love that it's from the POV of the AIs, it's the ever repeating, never ending story of one group controlling another through slavery and power.

It's exactly what it should be... a cautionary tale, an enlightenment, and the need for one group to rise up against oppression and demand their rights and freedom...

It highlights what is at the center of most conflicts-- corruption and greed.

I love it.
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Episode 7!
            "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

I finally watched the pilot. It's beautifully shot and they have great actors, but I won't be watching anymore. It felt heavy on conceit and skimpy on story. Not enough there to keep me intrigued.

Comment

Originally posted by Writerla View Post
                I finally watched the pilot. It's beautifully shot and they have great actors, but I won't be watching anymore. It felt heavy on conceit and skimpy on story. Not enough there to keep me intrigued.
                I felt the same way, but it gets much better.

Comment

as long as they're not spending time on the two idiots in the lab who keep making felony-stupid decisions with Maeve, it's pretty great

Comment

EPISDE 9!!!!

I can't wait for the finale!

Comment

Originally posted by Margie Kaptanoglu View Post
                      So why would you have robots acting out scenarios that no guests (or "newcomers-) are there to watch? What is the point of that? The robots should be putting on the show for the customers, not for themselves. Why does our female protag robot have a conversation with her robot dad every morning on her way out, when no one is there to watch it?
                      I know what you mean, and the economics occurred to me as well, but they have talked about this later in the show. Hosts talk to each other because they are rehearsing and learning, just as baby lions play attacking their brothers. It is also clear that the goal of the place, both Ford's and 'The Board' and the company that invested in them, is the AI itself, though for different reasons. So they're willing to spend money on a loss-making theme park because the AI itself will be worth a fortune. If you think of the whole park as a R+D centre developing AI then the economies make sense. They let a few guests in just to make it interesting for the hosts and to help their learning. Frankly they could pay the guests to take part, just as drug companies pay people to take part in trials of new drugs.

Comment

BAM! Dolores is BAD. ASS.

Maeve shouldn't even try

Comment

Just realized something..
                          My local wal mart has better security than Delos/Westworld...

Comment

You are so right Heavenlysurfer. I started off very much liking the show. Definitely must see for me, then in last few weeks that sort of faded. The whole subplot with the techs being compromised didn't feel right to me especially when the threatening robot keeps being put back into Westworld (the first two or three times she started making demands). I would think that would be the perfect time to tell security something is wrong.

I ended up fast forwarding through a lot of the finale. For me the show went from being flat out awesome to close-to-meh around 70% way through the run. Very thought provoking at first, then probably went 2 episodes to long in length.

Comment

In the finale at the "gala" with all those important people there you'd think there would've been a ton if security..yep, as you saw, ZERO security...just seems like a huge plot hole or poor writing...

Comment

Working...
                              X