Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do TV programmes sell for?

Finding figures to estimate a film's expected gain isn't too difficult - I could get a rough idea based on genre, budget and star/s (or lack of) for all of the major territories, but I can't seem to find any info of TV anywhere.

Obviously, some go for more than others, but if anyone has a rough idea, I'd appreciate it.
    Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Re: How much do TV programmes sell for?

i don't know that they "sell" in the same way that a feature spec will. if a pilot is bought and eventually goes to series, there are "created by" fees that go to the creator per episode that is produced. if the creator is also on staff, they'll paid for their episode(s). Lowell or BDZ probably know the structure of the various creator-showrunner-writer payments more first-hand

Comment

Pilot's generally sell for 150% of whatever the minimum is for an episode of that type of show. Check the MBA or preferably the Schedule of Minimums to figure it out for your series.
      Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
      3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

Would be interesting to know if the same TV structure in terms of how things are acquired apply to streaming services like Netflix and Amazon in regards to their original series.
        One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by KitchonaSteve View Post
          Pilot's generally sell for 150% of whatever the minimum is for an episode of that type of show. Check the MBA or preferably the Schedule of Minimums to figure it out for your series.
          Actually, the absolute minimum for a pilot is 150% of the minimum for a normal episode of that kind of show. A working writer with a quote -- or a project with any sort of heat -- is going to get more.

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
            Would be interesting to know if the same TV structure in terms of how things are acquired apply to streaming services like Netflix and Amazon in regards to their original series.
            Acquisitions only matter to writers in terms of residuals, and they SUCK for streaming.

What I've heard is that streaming services pay more for originals they produce because there are usually no residuals for straight to streaming.
            Last edited by KitchonaSteve; 02-02-2017, 03:52 PM. Reason: for clarity

-Steve Trautmann

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Tooke View Post
              Actually, the absolute minimum for a pilot is 150% of the minimum for a normal episode of that kind of show. A working writer with a quote -- or a project with any sort of heat -- is going to get more.
              Yeah a track record can get you more, but I assumed the OP didn't have one.

And of course bidding wars are awesome but not that common.

Would love to talk to you about your experience on Colony.

-Steve Trautmann

Comment

I am pretty sure based on the question above/below, that Grandmaster is asking about the bigger picture amount a TV series will make overall. Not the cost of a pilot script. I say that in particular since no one is selling "territories" for a script, so to speak. One would sell syndication rights to territories & networks, TV stations, etc.

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
                Finding figures to estimate a film's expected gain isn't too difficult - I could get a rough idea based on genre, budget and star/s (or lack of) for all of the major territories, but I can't seem to find any info of TV anywhere.

Obviously, some go for more than others, but if anyone has a rough idea, I'd appreciate it.
                Thus, I think what's actually being asked about is something a little more along the lines of the link I will list below. I don't even know if any the major players involved with a show truly know how much the show ever makes. The money coming in for syndication rights can obviously go for years, if not many years, for certain shows. It's almost never ending in some cases. One would have to ask the accounting department for the (TV) studio that produced the show to be accurate, most likely.

See if this will get you a little closer to an answer to your question:

http://www.spottedratings.com/2010/1...ion-deals.html

You'll have to do some math on your own to really figure out some kind of rough estimate as to how much money to date a show has brought in using some of the listed numbers. Though, even then I wouldn't use those numbers in court or even at a cocktail party, to be safe.

Here is a breakdown for SEINFELD, for example:

http://www.vulture.com/2014/06/break...d-economy.html

If you are simply asking "how much would a writer make from a pilot script" -- don't think in terms of territories -- and see if this info along with what the fine folks mentioned above helps:

https://www.writersstore.com/the-ins...-writer-deals/
                Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 02-03-2017, 07:07 AM.
                Will
                Done Deal Pro
                www.donedealpro.com

Comment

A pilot probably starts at around 50-75k for a new writer.

If you end up with sole "story by" on the pilot and it goes to series, you'll also get created by, which means a weekly royalty. Probably starts at... 5k?

Hopefully you'll also be asked to be on staff. Per episode at the beginning probably starts at 7500, and goes up from there.

You'll have bonuses built in if it goes multiple seasons, and those can be big. Hundreds of thousand to tens of millions, depending on the success of the show and profit definition.

And the weekly numbers should go up quickly as you rise on staff.

An established writer is probably looking at 150k plus for the pilot (up to 400, 500k), plus exec producer fees and royalties which could mean 50 to 100k per episode.

Comment

A friend of mine sold a half-hour pilot to a broadcast network and I don't know the exact numbers but I think it was something in the ballpark of $90k.

Originally posted by KitchonaSteve View Post
                    Acquisitions only matter to writers in terms of residuals, and they SUCK for streaming.

What I've heard is that streaming services pay more for originals they produce because there are usually no residuals for straight to streaming.
                    This is wrong.

Streaming residuals generally suck for content that originates on other platforms. The writers get 1.2% of what the rights-holder is paid by the streaming service, but these fees are pretty low for most shows. The amount of money you end up getting is much less than it would have been in the age of multiple network reruns and heavy DVD sales.

Made for premium-SVOD content has a better residual structure, though. I don't know the exact percentages, but basically you get it on an annual basis - they have to pony up for the right to keep showing the show every year.

What you don't get from the premium SVOD services is PROFIT participation, since there's no way to define profit.
                    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 02-07-2017, 03:42 PM. Reason: Removed errant code

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
                      This is wrong.

Streaming residuals generally suck for content that originates on other platforms. The writers get 1.2% of what the rights-holder is paid by the streaming service, but these fees are pretty low for most shows. The amount of money you end up getting is much less than it would have been in the age of multiple network reruns and heavy DVD sales.

Made for premium-SVOD content has a better residual structure, though. I don't know the exact percentages, but basically you get it on an annual basis - they have to pony up for the right to keep showing the show every year.
                      Not entirely wrong, but thanks for keeping me honest, Ronaldinho. Had a call into the Guild already this morning and was able to ask about several issues on one phone call.

There are residuals for High Budget SVOD (HB-SVOD), but if your project doesn't meet that threshold then you're out of luck as far as residuals are concerned. Those per episode thresholds are substantial:
                      HIGH BUDGET SVOD PROGRAMS

Derivative and original dramatic new media programs made for exhibition on a subscription video-on-demand consumer pay platform (e.g., Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, Netflix) that meet the following high budget thresholds shall be defined as "High Budget SVOD Programs.- Programs less than 20 minutes in length shall not fall under this category regardless of the budget.

LENGTH OF PROGRAM AS INITIALLY EXHIBITED
                      HIGH BUDGET THRESHOLD
                      20-35 Minutes $1,300,000 and above
                      36-65 Minutes $2,500,000 and above
                      66 Minutes or more $3,000,000 and above
                      The flagship shows tend to meet the threshold but Netflix, Amazon, et al. try to keep shows under the thresholds to avoid residuals and such.

New Media is wide open right now, and we need to go into these deals with our eyes wide open, and make sure our reps are aware of all the particulars.

The main takeaway is, call the Guild if you have any questions about this stuff. They're happy to help members and non-members alike. There's no need to guess, and deals can get weird in a hurry.

HTH,

-Steve Trautmann

Comment

Thanks for the correction/detailed info, KitchonaSteve!

Comment

Working...
                        X