Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of Action Scenes?

I was thinking about characteristics of the genre today. And out of random curiosity I thought I'd pose this question to everybody (both pros and aspiring):

On average, how many action scenes (fights, battles, chases, etc) do you personally tend to include in an action spec? Or if easier to figure, approximately what percentage of your spec does actual action usually take up?

Re: Number of Action Scenes?

Originally posted by scripto80 View Post
    I was thinking about characteristics of the genre today. And out of random curiosity I thought I'd pose this question to everybody (both pros and aspiring):

On average, how many action scenes (fights, battles, chases, etc) do you personally tend to include in an action spec? Or if easier to figure, approximately what percentage of your spec does actual action usually take up?
    Action scenes go where they fit in the story you want to tell. You can't force a number.
    Last edited by EdFury; 10-26-2014, 03:53 PM.

Comment

They have to have 13 and a half. No more, no less.

Comment

I think Raiders is a third to a half action set pieces. But they're great action SCENES, with great storytelling and character moments. That is to say, however many the story calls for.

Comment

I (unproduced, unrepped I) don't think this is the right way to ask this question.

Instead of asking random strangers what their percentages are, I would look at actual action movies I like (Hong Kong chop sockey, Fast/Furious, Marvel superhero, McQueen in a Car, 80s buddy-cop, whatever) and break those down in terms of absolute screen time and estimated page count.

Tom Cruise and Tony Jaa both do action movies, but their styles couldn't be more different. Pick three films that are in the general territory of what you're aiming for, fill out three sets of index cards and memorize each structure until you know each one back to front, then dive in.

Comment

Joel Silver sez: One in every 10 minutes.

And that's not just true for action scripts. I did an article for Script Mag years ago where I looked at pacing in films, and decided to focus on *rom coms* since that is not my genre at all. That article was expanded into a larger chapter (with more examples) for my Act Two Blue Book... and the result is: Within every 10 minutes of a rom com there is a comedy scene where the couple looks like they will hook up but then things go really wrong in a funny way. I used WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING, MY BEST FRIEND'S WEDDING, and WHEN HARRY MET SALLY as my main examples and all three of those have a rom com "juice" scene within every 10 pages.

That's basic pacing, the heart beat of your story. You want a regular heartbeat.

Remember, an action scene is a *character scene* and a *story scene*, not just a throw away cool set piece.

Bill
            Free Script Tips:
            http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Staircaseghost is exactly right.

Study the action films that you love, that move you, and see how many they do, and how they connect them to the plot.

It's hard for me to answer, as well, because it gets to the definition of "action scene." I could think of reasonable definitions where my last actiony spec had five, or where it had 12, or probably where it had more than that. It gets to your definition of "action" and "scene."

I mean, there's a reasonable definition where pages 54-67 are one action sequence. That's probably not how I'd define it, but it's not obvious where you'd break it up. And at the same time, while 72-79 is clearly one action sequence, so is page 2-3, so I don't know how much simply counting action sequences tells you.

I will say this, however: remember that people go to action movies to see action. I've read a lot of action scripts where there are a couple of good action sequences but lots and lots of talking.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, but to clarify, because maybe it came off wrong... I wasn't really asking because I need overall advice, if I did I'd ask my manager, or just ask you guys outright "What do I do?! How much is too much?!" Sorry if my post came off like I was seeking such on a personal level. I've actually written several action specs currently floating around town, had a spec optioned, etc.

Rather, I'm asking because I'm just genuinely curious how many action scenes my fellow writers have wound up with in their specs. I've researched produced specs to get those numbers, I just wanted to start a discussion on how much action people like to insert, or even wind up with on a final vs first draft, that sort of thing. *shrug*

Interesting story though wcmartell, sounds like a great article.

And Ronaldhino, I've seen the same in specs sometimes. I've wondered often "How is this considered action?" when it seems more appropriately labeled as a drama or thriller. On the flip side, I've read specs that are all action and very little story and character depth and purposeful dialogue. Battle: Los Angeles comes to mind. I read an early draft and it was literally 110 pages of military speak and shooting at aliens. I think they had to bring in a couple writers to poke at it before they had a final version, and if you've seen the film there's still not a lot going on besides action, lol. Anyway, it all varies. I was just looking for a discussion on the topic. You all give good advice though, in general.

Comment

I never really counted them. I just do this /\/\/\/\ several times in the middle.

It's interesting how short our attention span has become. Can you believe that scene where they sit on their asses and Ben Kenobi enlightens Luke on the nature of Everything for like 30 minutes?

Comment

And Ronaldhino, I've seen the same in specs sometimes. I've wondered often "How is this considered action?" when it seems more appropriately labeled as a drama or thriller.
                    I think you've missed my point, which is that the number of actions scenes tells you very little about how much action there is in the script.

A better example, perhaps: There's only one action scene in the first half hour of "Saving Private Ryan." Must have a pretty slow, talky opening, right?

Comment

I got what you were saying, I just wanted to express a related note, in how I've literally read scripts that a writer labeled as "action" that had like two fist fights. That, IMO does not an action script make. There's no set rules, obviously, and action is dictated by necessity and tone and a bunch of other things. But still...

Anyway, with your SPR example -- yeah it's one scene in the first 30 minutes, but it's huge, EPIC scene and sets the tone for the entire film. And then pretty much in between every chunk of dialogue and drama for the rest of the movie, there's constant threats, gun fights, and a slew of other action elements. So I can see how in some cases, like with SPR, it's hard to specifically quantify "how much" or "how many". Either way, I love movies like that where you don't thirst for more plot over action or vice versa. Balance is always a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post

And that's not just true for action scripts. I did an article for Script Mag years ago where I looked at pacing in films, and decided to focus on *rom coms* since that is not my genre at all. That article was expanded into a larger chapter (with more examples) for my Act Two Blue Book... and the result is: Within every 10 minutes of a rom com there is a comedy scene where the couple looks like they will hook up but then things go really wrong in a funny way. I used WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING, MY BEST FRIEND'S WEDDING, and WHEN HARRY MET SALLY as my main examples and all three of those have a rom com "juice" scene within every 10 pages.

That's basic pacing, the heart beat of your story. You want a regular heartbeat.

Remember, an action scene is a *character scene* and a *story scene*, not just a throw away cool set piece.

Bill
                        I follow this general rule... Every 10 pages. I write action so it's definitely my preferred storytelling method as i'm outlining-- no different than placing the inciting incident or act breaks. I learned it from studying movies I watched... I'd beat the story out with a stopwatch and notebook in hand. I don't force it, it's more like what Bill suggests-- the heartbeat. I fill in the big turning points, then go back to fill in beats needed to get from one to the next-- works for me.

FA4
                        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post

Bill
                          I wonder how something like that applies to a movie like Zulu, where the first big action scene -- the first battle doesn't happen until almost half way into the movie. And obviously an awful lot happens before that -- the Missionary and his daughter run from the Zulu camp. The conflict between the two officers, the conflict about whether to evacuate the wounded, the whole preparation for the oncoming Zulu army. It's all really great stuff, but there's not a shot fired, not a spear thrown. Virtually none of it would really qualify as an "action scene."

Then the Zulus show up and it's virtually non-stop action.

There's a similar structure with the original King Kong. An extended beginning that has no action at all -- it's all just set-up and build up. Then Ann is kidnapped by the natives and tied to the altar -- the men on the ship run to the rescue -- and it's virtually non-stop action from there to the end of the movie.

There are other movies that have this sort of "roller coaster" structure -- slowly climb to the top with a slow build of tension and then you get to the top and -- down you go for an extended thrill ride that doesn't let you off until you reach the end.

I don't see how you could make the "action every ten minutes" paradigm apply to movies like these -- unless you get really loose with your definition of action.

NMS

Comment

Originally posted by nmstevens View Post
                            I wonder how something like that applies to a movie like Zulu, where the first big action scene -- the first battle doesn't happen until almost half way into the movie. And obviously an awful lot happens before that -- the Missionary and his daughter run from the Zulu camp. The conflict between the two officers, the conflict about whether to evacuate the wounded, the whole preparation for the oncoming Zulu army. It's all really great stuff, but there's not a shot fired, not a spear thrown. Virtually none of it would really qualify as an "action scene."

Then the Zulus show up and it's virtually non-stop action.

I don't see how you could make the "action every ten minutes" paradigm apply to movies like these -- unless you get really loose with your definition of action.

NMS
                            Time to loosen up on the definition of action.

I haven't seen Zulu in years but I'll bet that approximately every ten minutes there is a new conflict to deal with. Same with Saving Private Ryan. Conflict is action.

Speaking of Zulu, its strange how well I remember the final fight of that movie while most modern action scenes are forgotten in a week.
                            Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
                              A better example, perhaps: There's only one action scene in the first half hour of "Saving Private Ryan." Must have a pretty slow, talky opening, right?
                              Actually, it does. It's a crappy opening and one that's not needed. And it doesn't even make sense (as William Goldman pointed out) once we find out who it's supposed to be.

But I do get your point. I just had to be an ass.

Comment

Working...
                              X