No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blacklist partners with Disney...

A year long residency.

For writers with "diverse perspectives" which I suppose is a fancy way of saying female/and, or/minority writers (?)

http://www.blcklst.com/disney

I wish studios would just buy some scripts off the BL and make them, instead of all the hope-through-partnering going on... but that's just me.

Re: Blacklist partners with Disney...

Great news.

Have to say, even though I continue to have concerns about the BL's scoring methodology (I do think that overall it is an invaluable service), I am impressed by the many programs/partnerships Franklin has implemented designed to provide more opportunities for diverse voices.

He's putting his money where his mouth is when it comes to fulfilling one of the BL's goals of increasing access for those less likely to have a seat at the table. This proactive effort is wonderful when considering the many in the industry who only pay lip service when it comes to this type of mission.

It's especially refreshing coming on the heels of this weekend's historic Oscar telecast, when we witnessed the first Black director to accept the award for Best Picture, the first Hispanic person to win for Best Director, and only the second Black person to win for Best Adapted Screenplay.

Because of these programs, we can hopefully look forward to more Julie Delpys and John Ridleys coming through the pipeline in the future.
    "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Awesome news! I'd been hoping that Disney would bring back its feature-writing fellowship program. It sounds like that's very close to what they're doing--only as Black List initiative. It sounds like a great opportunity.

Totally agree with UpandComing. While I too have concerns about the BL scoring methodology, I also think that it can be an excellent resource for new writers to break in, and I have to applaud Franklin's efforts and dedication to launch writing careers. It's really fantastic that he's putting together these opportunities.

Thanks for yet another great opportunity, Franklin!

Comment

Thanks, Franklin, for another great opportunity! Keep 'em coming!

A few questions...

The program is described as follows:

"The Walt Disney Studios' Feature Writers Program is a paid one year residency housed in Disney's live-action production group that provides up-and-coming feature writers with development and mentorship opportunities."

The submission requirements refer to "in person writing services."

So that sounds like it's full-time on-site.

However, the FaQ says:

"your services may be required in the U.S."

That sounds like it's not necessarily full-time on site.

So which is it?

And I assume the applicable weekly WGA minimum is $4,246, correct?

Thanks again!
        "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Do you have to write a family friendly script? If so, I'm out

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
            It's especially refreshing coming on the heels of this weekend's historic Oscar telecast, when we witnessed the first Black director to accept the award for Best Picture, the first Hispanic person to win for Best Director, and only the second Black person to win for Best Adapted Screenplay.
            This is great news and congratulations to Franklin Leonard.

Btw, Alfonso Cuarón is the first Mexican to win the Best Director Oscar. Or more broadly, the first Latin American. The term "hispanic" is often too broad or vague to be useful.

Comment

I'm confused on when the script needs to be active to be eligible. You need to pay $25 to rehost your script and opt in?

Comment

Still waiting for the old bald white guy with no connections fellowship

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                  Thanks, Franklin, for another great opportunity! Keep 'em coming!

A few questions...

The program is described as follows:

"The Walt Disney Studios' Feature Writers Program is a paid one year residency housed in Disney's live-action production group that provides up-and-coming feature writers with development and mentorship opportunities."

The submission requirements refer to "in person writing services."

So that sounds like it's full-time on-site.

However, the FaQ says:

"your services may be required in the U.S."

That sounds like it's not necessarily full-time on site.

So which is it?

And I assume the applicable weekly WGA minimum is $4,246, correct?

Thanks again!
                  Assume that the vast majority of the residency will require you to be on site for the vast majority of the year long commitment.

I believe the applicable weekly WGA minimum is slightly lower (but only slightly) than that but I don't have the # handy.

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                    Do you have to write a family friendly script? If so, I'm out
                    Disney is looking for great writing, period.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
                      I'm confused on when the script needs to be active to be eligible. You need to pay $25 to rehost your script and opt in?
                      You need to have hosted the script for at least a week during the period between the announcement (March 5) and the end of the submission period (May 5.) If you've taken your script down, that will mean rehosting it. Keep an eye on us on Twitter (or read Go Into The Story). We'll be giving out a fair # of free months of hosting over the next few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by nativeson View Post
                        Still waiting for the old bald white guy with no connections fellowship
                        Depending on how old, there's a good chance you qualify. Be sure to check out the WGA's report on diversity. Age diversity is indeed an issue.

http://www.wga.org/uploadedFiles/who...r11execsum.pdf

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post

I believe the applicable weekly WGA minimum is slightly lower (but only slightly) than that but I don't have the # handy.
                            I got that from the 2011 WGA contract. WEEK-TO-WEEK AND TERM EMPLOYMENT (ARTICLE 13.A.15.) It's for the period 5/2/13 to 5/1/14. 40 out of 52 weeks. So I assume the Disney deal will be under the new contract, which should be a little higher.

http://www.wga.org/uploadedFiles/wri...ts/min2011.pdf
                            "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Question for Franklin (apologies if this should go somewhere else - but you seem to be checking in here)

Re: Disney/ Ongoing WB/ TBS&TNT and now WIGS -- As a ridiculous hypothetical... What happens if a writer(s) opts in to more than one of these programs? I mean, since there's no additional charge, and the submission periods are overlapping, it's very likely people will opt in to more than one, right?

And say the Powers that be at the Black List site say, "Hey, this is a great script/ writer - let's put her/him on the shortlist" - and you see they've opted into more than one program. Will y'all decide specifically which one to submit the writer to or will you recommend a script to multiple partners or how do you foresee handling that?

Comment

Working...
                              X