Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attachments to project

I have tv project out to talent just now. Producers opted to target a select list of A-list actors before approaching directors.

Wondered if any other dd’ers had gone through the sloooow process of attachments in recent years (particularly tv) and for good or bad, if they were willing to share their experiences?

Re: Attachments to project

Originally posted by Mintclub View Post
    I have tv project out to talent just now. Producers opted to target a select list of A-list actors before approaching directors.

Wondered if any other dd'ers had gone through the sloooow process of attachments in recent years (particularly tv) and for good or bad, if they were willing to share their experiences?
    It's all just brutal. Even if they eventually attach, they can unattach if some other shiny thing comes along at any stage and then you are back to square one. I've been through versions of this many times. My only way to stay sane is to have a many projects in the fire at any one time. So, as always, the 'keep writing' advice has been the best advice for me.

Comment

In TV, actors trump the vast majority of directors in the selling process. Known actors can secure more eyeballs than directors, and creators and showrunners are more important to networks than a director. A good package with a respected director can help get a project to pilot, but a good director without much else is useless to a network. In features a great director championing a concept or flailing project can attract good writers and actors, but I've never heard of a top flight showrunner jumping on board a project that only has a great director attached. Maybe they have, my knowledge is not encyclopedic, but the most important element of a TV show is a showrunner who can deliver shootable scripts on time, not a director.

Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
      3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

That’s interesting re the Showrunner. There haven’t been too many talks about adding one to the team yet. I did bring it up during the first convo with the producers, saying I’d be cool if they wanted to bring someone else aboard but the they didn’t seem too fussed about doing so.

I do feel like the actor element is a little like chasing shadows. With other projects I’ve had packaged (albeit mainly features) the directors seem to come back with a decision much quicker.
        Last edited by Mintclub; 04-27-2021, 04:45 AM.

Comment

For the most part, actors and non-writing directors are all at home with nothing to do but read. It's a good time to try and get them attached.

Comment

That's interesting re the Showrunner. There haven't been too many talks about adding one to the team yet. I did bring it up during the first convo with the producers, saying I'd be cool if they wanted to bring someone else aboard but the they didn't seem too fussed about doing so. I've worked in writers rooms before on some big budget shows in the UK and am a credited writer too, so maybe that's why they've held off for now.

I do feel like the actor element is a little like chasing shadows. With other projects I've had packaged (albeit mainly features) the directors seem to come back with a decision much quicker.

Usually you don't bring a Showrunner on (unless the opportunity falls in your lap), because the studio you bring it to has a list that they like.

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
              Usually you don't bring a Showrunner on (unless the opportunity falls in your lap), because the studio you bring it to has a list that they like.
              This is true. Going through this as we speak.

As for features (mentioned above), the reason directors come back faster is because you can go to multiple directors at once. Actors want the script exclusively (you can go out to multiple actors if they're different parts.)

Comment

I really don't get why producers send to one actor at a time. It's ridiculous and unnecessarily laborious. Take it to a handful and see who bites first. I'm saying this because I'm still going through this whole nonsensical process. 4 months for an actor to read.

Comment

I really don't get why producers send to one actor at a time. It's ridiculous and unnecessarily laborious. Take it to a handful and see who bites first. I'm saying this because I'm still going through this whole nonsensical process. 4 months for an actor to read.
                  You have a script out to Brad, Matt, and Denzel at the same time (these are the first names that popped to mind, so don't over analyze). Anyway, Brad and Denzel both want to play the lead. That means you have to pick one and tell the other no thank you. I think you can see the dilemma inherent in this situation, and that's why you send to one at a time.

Comment

When you reach a certain level, as actor, director, or writer, you get things submitted to you exclusively. You can't sent a script to Brad Pitt and then call him and say "sorry to waste your time, we just got Tom." What should happen is that the producers, with their talent agent and manager relationships, call the rep and ask "is Brad reading right now? Is this the kind of thing he's looking for?" etc. and decide whether it's worth the wait or move on to the next person.

Comment

And agencies (well, one of them, certainly - you can guess which one) will get mad if things don't flow through them in the Three Letter Approved Way. Oh you exposed this to two producers before showing it to us for packaging? How dare you.

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
                        Oh you exposed this to two producers before showing it to us for packaging? How dare you.
                        How do you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Northbank View Post
                          How do you mean?
                          Like Don Corleone - "I'm not mad, just disappointed you didn't come to us first.-

They want to control everything. And other, non-preferred producers, perhaps muddies up the process when they want stuff in exclusive for talent.

Comment

I see. In my experience it very much depends on things like who showed it to producers - you, the writer? Are you repped at that agency? Most agents don't really care if someone showed it to one or two producers first, particularly if they passed and they can place it with a producer they rep. They do care if they feel it has been shopped around town.

Comment

Originally posted by Northbank View Post
                              I see. In my experience it very much depends on things like who showed it to producers - you, the writer? Are you repped at that agency? Most agents don't really care if someone showed it to one or two producers first, particularly if they passed and they can place it with a producer they rep. They do care if they feel it has been shopped around town.
                              I'm not repped there.

Last year they got pissy when we had slipped to one producer (Recent Best Picture winner even) just to get a read before we started taking it out and they got annoyed with that as well. (Before they took it exclusively to an A+ lister)

I don't find anything consistent about their behavior other than the dick swinging.

Comment

Working...
                              X