Breaking Bad... (continued from ctp's thread)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Breaking Bad... (continued from ctp's thread)

I gotta agree. The ending was very safe. I thought they would go for it. I think Game of Thrones (if Grrm can finish the series) is on course to have one of the greatest TV endings ever.

Comment

I wasn't completely 100% satisfied with the ending. To me the ultimate satisfaction would have been for Jesse to kill Walt, but with the way the finale was setup, the payoff wouldn't have hit the mark.

Walt always sees Jesse as weak, but in order to make Jesse a strong character, he would have to kill Walt in the end. But in order for that to happen, Walt's motivations going into the finale should have been different. The fact that he was going back and knowing he was going to die just didn't sit right completely with me. I wanted him to go back and still perceive Jesse as weak, but that's when Jesse pulls the trigger.

That's how I would have ended it anyway. But overall, excellenttttt!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Deion22 View Post
        I gotta agree. The ending was very safe. I thought they would go for it. I think Game of Thrones (if Grrm can finish the series) is on course to have one of the greatest TV endings ever.
        For a final episode, it was weak based on what they've done as a series. Not even close to their best work, which is sad because it had potential to be epic.
        Introduce a little anarchy.

Comment

The whole episode moved at a snail pace plot wise. Jesse and Walt share 10 words and that's it? Really?

Comment

Ya, I didn't like that ending with Walt and Jessie. Their need to be more said, more closure. They painted this like 8 episodes like their was gonna be a showdown between Walt and Jesse, I don't think they paid on that promise.

Still a great series. I think Spartacus has had one of the greatest TV finales in recent memory. It's hard to stick the landing when it comes to ending a series.

Comment

Walt somehow reaches Badger and Skinny Pete and uses them in a complex plan, but doesn't even bring up Jesse until after they've finished that? Huh?

I could go on and on about this episode, but it's whatever.

Great series, kind of a snooze ending.

Comment

Originally posted by Margie Kaptanoglu View Post
                I would add that Walt is a tragic anti-hero and as such, he must die. But he could (and I think, should) die in the act of redeeming himself. He should die sacrificing himself to save Jesse.
                Called it:-).

Seriously, it ended exactly as it had to. Kudos to all involved.

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

I enjoyed the finale, but I expected Walt to lose more.

Originally posted by Deion22 View Post
                  I think Game of Thrones (if Grrm can finish the series) is on course to have one of the greatest TV endings ever.
                  The motherf_cker didn't even write the books yet.

And when he does, it will be more of a victory for the written medium than the TV one. Not hard to lift the work of others, but very difficult to create something original and brilliant as Gilligan has with Breaking Bad, and as GRRM has done with the book series A Song of Ice and Fire.

Conversely, if someone adapted Breaking Bad to novel form, who would be praising its finale? Nobody. Who would praise it at all?

You excel in your medium first.

Comment

I don't care what anybody else thought I flat out loved it. It satisfied across the board and that's all I ask. There's nothing else I wanted or needed from that episode.

Comment

Great series, but many things were too convenient. I meant to post this last week but forgot. I thought it was very weak that, seemingly, the most important reason for keeping Jesse alive is because Todd is in love with Lydia. Come on...

And Walt pulling the car up with the machine gun placed just correctly so that all the Nazis would die? How did he know they would all be in that room? What if several were in the meth lab? It was about as ill thought out as Gus's plan to poison all the cartel members. How did they know the would all drink the tequila?

I loved the series, but it was countless hard-to-believe moments for me that keep it just below The Wire in terms of being the best.
                      Quato Lives!

Comment

Originally posted by EddieCoyle View Post
                        And Walt pulling the car up with the machine gun placed just correctly so that all the Nazis would die? How did he know they would all be in that room? What if several were in the meth lab? It was about as ill thought out as Gus's plan to poison all the cartel members. How did they know the would all drink the tequila?
                        Yup, it's true.

On one hand, it's TV so I feel like I shouldn't mind. On the other hand, I was taken out of the scene pretty easily with an instinctual "Yeah, right." It would have been fine for him to be careless if he didn't have a family to worry about. If he doesn't take them all out, they'd kill Skyler.

I later heard Vince say that when they shot the original teaser of Walt receiving the gun (beginning of season 5A), they "didn't know who it was for or how it'd be used."

So it's a little amazing it ended as nicely as it did, considering none of it was planned in advance. Still didn't feel perfect, though.

I still liked the episode. I didn't think Jesse/Walt needed any more closure than they had. That part was perfect. Just not sure it should have been so happy. Walt got everything he wanted in the end, which felt odd.

My alt ending. Pick up where we left off, with Walt, dead on the floor. The music plays just as it did. Then, a quick hard cut: An ER. A team of doctors just revived/stabilized Walt. He's alive. Awake. And surrounded by cops. Sh!t. Cut to black.

Now he didn't get everything he wanted.

Comment

They wrapped it up nicely. Too nicely for my taste. It felt almost like a cop out after Ozymandias. The end wasn´t surprising at all.

SPOILER

That Walter would die was to be expected. The question was in what circumstances it would happen. Nothing is wrong about the ending Gilligan wrote. Some will be satisfied by Walt´s catharsis. I belong to the ones who isn´t. He lost his life and his family, but he realized his mistakes, saved
                          Jesse and left his son a lot of money.

BB came across as a tragedy where the protagonist made things worse and worse for himself and for the people he cared about by his actions. A brilliant tale of decay caused by hubris which climaxed in Ozymandias.
                          The last episode seems too conventional for an unconventional show that pushed limits. One might say Walter was transformed from an anti-hero to a hero in the 11th hour. And that´s what I find disappointing.

The other thing is that every thing Walt planned in the last episode worked out despite being very unlikely.

My two cents, him dying alone in that house with a barrel full of useless money would have been genius. Nobody except one person would ever know what happened to the great Heisenberg and all he worked for would have been for nothing.

Great show, underwhelming finale.

Comment

Also,

Anyone think the two "flash forward" teasers weren't necessary at all?

All it did was take away some suspense/surprise from the episodes ahead, and it also wrote them into a corner with where they could take the show. They threw in a scene of Walt with a gun just because, and were forced to pay it off later.

Imagine watching Ozymandias if we didn't already know Walt had to flee.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Neff View Post
                              They wrapped it up nicely. Too nicely for my taste.
                              Damon Lindelof was the subject of many a tweet last night - all of the "that's how you do a finale!" variety. Apparently audiences like things all wrapped up nice and tidy. In fact, the only complaint I saw last night was that we didn't see what happened to Jesse after he drove away (because apparently joyous freedom isn't satisfying enough.)

Comment

It's rare for me to like a show so much that I go with it from beginning to end so when that does happen (Sopranos, Lost, Breaking Bad), I try not to let the last episode taint the love I have for the show overall.

In just looking at the finale and not condemning the entire series, I think it all fell a little flat as well...especially when compared to the highs of what this show was able to pull off acting/writing/emotionally many, many times before.

So, what went "wrong"? I think part of the problem was the final bad guy. Like Lost, the bad guys in Breaking Bad just kept getting badder, more sophisticated, more evil. That's cool. But as characters, Jack and Todd just weren't given much weight or development and the other guys in the gang were even less so. These guys weren't Fring by any stretch of the imagination. That's all okay if the eventual major showdown was between Walt and Hank, or Walt and Jesse, or Walt and Skylar.

Since we couldn't have that big showdown (mostly because they already took place or because of character...Jesse couldn't have death issues and then kill Walt), I think I would have liked to have seen some sort of epilogue...probably of Jesse.

I think another way to have gone would be to have Walt express his honest feelings for Jesse as his sort of adopted son. Maybe an apology. Have him die in his arms talking about their crazy experiences or something. Maybe a fly lands on him and Jesse swats it away. I don't know. It's just it didn't need to be a shoot'em up ending to be great, but having Jesse ride off to God knows where and what and apparently broke is kind of a cop out.

But I still love the show overall.

Also, as soon as the tape of Marty Robbins appeared there was no doubt in my mind that Walt was a dead man.
                                On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

Working...
                                X