Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2006, 06:37 PM   #1
georgelondon
User

Default Australian question

Does anyone know if there is an Australian prod. co directory? Looked through the usual sites etc but could only find the Black Book (the indigenous version).

Many thanks.
georgelondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:18 PM   #2
Mac H.

Default Re: Australian question

Yes. There are a few :

1. The Encore directory
If you can't afford it, don't panic - Just go to the AFTRS library as a visitor. You can read the Encore directory there. I've got an out-of-date version (it isn't worth an outsider like me getting a new one EVERY year) so if there is something specific, just ask and I'll look it up.

2. 'The Blue Book'. (Which is why the indigenous one is called 'The Black Book'. A few years ago this looked like it was going to be a serious contender against 'Encore' as being the main production company directory. Sadly it seems to have lost the war.)

3. Various Funding Body directories
eg: This lists 71 Aussie production companies.
http://www.afc.gov.au/filminginaustralia/producer_list/fiapage_80.aspx

Each state's funding body will also has a directory, as well as the federal one. There will be a heck of a lot of overlap with the AFC one.

One warning, though. Most people here in Oz set up a little production company to work on their OWN projects. They have no interest in working on other people's projects - unless you can also provide financing.

Sad, I know.

Good luck,

Mac
(PS: Simply googling gets a hell of a lot, too. Check out a recent movie, then just google the producer's name and/or production company. For example, a minute's googling on the principle names behind 'Suburban Mayhem' will give you email addresses for the writer, producer and director. And as much as I tried disliking them (as an objection against writers having their first script being successful) they are actually all very intelligent & likeable people. Damn!)
(PPS: I keep an eye out for Aussie producers who are seriously looking for scripts. I generally email around the lead to other Aussie writers to ensure I have plenty of competition - just PM me your email address if you want to get added to the list)

Last edited by Mac H. : 11-21-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Mac H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:02 AM   #3
georgelondon
User

Mac, thanks so much for that, I really appreciate your full and detailed response. Will PM my contact email.

GL
Old 11-22-2006, 02:40 PM   #4
nic.h

Mac gets some great leads, and he's very generous with them. He seems to get hold of pretty much everything that's getting out there publicly, so you've come to the right place.

Another way is to be a part of the network, via funding bodies and other industry groups - there are a lot of script development projects that hook writers up with producers, and vice versa. (Script Alive in Melbourne seems to get some good producers there, and it's only a few bucks to go down to see. If you can get your script/scene produced, I've heard that often opens a lot of doors. Though I haven't tried it myself.)

Where are you based?
nic.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:21 PM   #5
georgelondon
User

Thanks Nic. I'm in Auckland at the moment.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:57 PM   #6
nic.h

So, Melbourne's Script Alive is a bit far then...?

Good luck with this.
nic.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:31 AM   #7
sevoo
Banned

http://www.afc.gov.au/filminginaustr...iapage_80.aspx

this is good site. I have query all of them last year. MAC H, it
seams our google explorer works the same :-)

But no replays, One guy has say that he is already in the project
with one script.
sevoo is offline   Reply With Quote