Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
Peripeteia
Regular

Default Submitting directly to a studio

Has anyone bypassed a manager/agent AND a production company is submitting a script directly to a studio upon request?

I sent one earlier this week and curious to know others with experiences in the subject.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
Rantanplan

Default Re: Submitting directly to a studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripeteia View Post
Has anyone bypassed a manager/agent AND a production company is submitting a script directly to a studio upon request?

I sent one earlier this week and curious to know others with experiences in the subject.
Well I'm pretty sure it's nearly impossible to get read at a studio directly, however I have noticed that there been have sales to Dreamworks listed here on DD with no rep or production company attached, so maybe that's one exception. As I recall some were even sales by first timers, but then you never really know what the story behind the sale is. How does your rep feel about that approach ?
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
baga12
New User

Several months ago, I got my pilot to a major network without an agent or manager. Surprisingly, it was from an email query. I sent my pilot to the exec and waited about a month. When I followed up, the exec said that they were no longer looking for new material. I wasn't sure what to make of it exactly, but hey I was happy to get as far as I did.
baga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
SoCalScribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripeteia View Post

Studios have development entities just like production companies. Any query you send will be routed to the people in that division. You've got about the same odds as anywhere else... most likely a "we don't accept unsolicited submissions" letter. But if you have a really great query letter, you might just get them to ask you to send a copy of the script.
SoCalScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:10 AM   #5
docgonzo

You have a better shot at getting read if you have a producer who has a relationship - or better still, an overall deal - walk the script into someone's office. Sure, you might get an assistant or CE to read, but you'll be taken much more seriously if you can have a producer get it into the hands of a VP or above.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
ScreenQuery
User

Do you guys have experience, or just spouting off what you think the outcome will be based off the original topic? If you read the question, you'll realize that the script was shopped and requested from the writer already.

On topic - A read is a read, no matter what level it is. The higher up the ladder and the better the material, then the better chances it has to be passed in the right hands. If the studio in question likes your work, then there is a chance they could pass it to various companies they have production deals with and go from there. So many doors can open from a single read.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
Landis26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreenQuery View Post
On topic - A read is a read, no matter what level it is. The higher up the ladder and the better the material, then the better chances it has to be passed in the right hands. If the studio in question likes your work, then there is a chance they could pass it to various companies they have production deals with and go from there. So many doors can open from a single read.
Yes, but if you submit right to a studio and they pass, it is pretty much dead there. Later on if you get a producer interested and they try to submit it to that studio, the studio exec will see it's already been covered and passed on it.
Landis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
docgonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreenQuery View Post
Do you guys have experience, or just spouting off what you think the outcome will be based off the original topic? If you read the question, you'll realize that the script was shopped and requested from the writer already.

Yes, I have experience - and a script at a studio with a producer attached. Another script is going to head out to another studio with a different producer.

I realize what she was asking - just wanted to voice my opinion that I think it's better to try and get a producer involved before going to a studio. I'm sure many others around here would agree.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
joshbuxton
User

For what it's worth, I submitted directly to Dreamworks and got the old, "We don't accept unsolicited submissions' reply from a guy who said he was forwarded my email query. Thought that was actually making some forward progress considering the 90% 'never hear back anything' I get.
joshbuxton is offline   Reply With Quote