Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #101
MontanaHans

Default Re: Cold Calling Production Companies--In Person

@SBS: I went to that address Geoff but they said my Thetan level was too high and I couldn't get in to see Xenu. What gives?!

SMASH TO:

BLACK
MontanaHans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #102
mrjonesprods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppeterson View Post
I totally think that managers are worth it, but I have to say the above statement is annoying.

I have three (albeit small) produced films, but I'm not repped, so I'm not in the game. Nor is Bill Martell with his 20 produced films.

Joe Schmo with a couple specs, a rep, and that's it, is in the game however.
I made the point in this thread already, but maybe I should have stressed it again in my last post. I'm not talking about independent film. I'm talking about mainstream Hollywood production companies and studios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjonesprods View Post

IMO, querying hollywood production companies is a waste of time.
And since I sorta already answered it, I figured I'd post it again.

Quote:
I'm happy Bill has been able to carve out a career working in the independent world. But had those same 18 films been produced with WGA contracts, Bill would be rich beyond belief. That would mean he would have zero trouble finding an agent or manager to represent him. (Sorry to bring you into this discussion, Bill).

It's my opinion, most people here are trying to sell their stuff to studios that nets them a 6 figure pay day, WGA health and pension, etc. - not independent producers. And moreover, when I said "hollywood production companies" in my previous post - the companies I'm referring to are the ones who deal with studios.
And yes, if Joe Schmo has an agent and/or manager sending his scripts to hollywood production companies, he's in the game. Because at any moment, the access his reps have could lead to to Joe selling a script or landing an assignment. And that would be a game changer in Joe's life. An indie sale for 12k is not a life changing experience.

Quote:
If you're lobbing stuff from outside of L.A. or you just want to maximize your chances, you need to be ready to work it the other way around: you'll be repped when you're in the game.
It seems based on a few of your quotes that you think your location is a reason you're not repped.

Quote:

I've been outside of L.A. all through this process so far, so I think that makes it harder for me to land representation and do the more standard sample plus assignment process, thus I need to focus more on writing a spec that's commercial enough to pull me into L.A. in its wake. But I figure a fair number of DDers are in my boat.
Somehow other DDers outside of LA have landed representation.
mrjonesprods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #103
meemee2000
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcon View Post
After ten pages of this topic, isn't it time we just concluded that it can't hurt?
Agreed. It doesn't hurt to mail query letters to production companies. I think people are belaboring the skin off this dead horse of a discussion (repeating their points over and over and over again) because they are avoiding going back to work. Now that I've taken a nap, gone through the message boards, I shall now go watch a little Oprah, go see a movie, and then think about writing. Good day to you all!
meemee2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:15 PM   #104
sppeterson

Quote:
It seems based on a few of your quotes that you think your location is a reason you're not repped.

Somehow other DDers outside of LA have landed representation.
Are you suggesting that that writers in Los Angeles have no better chance of securing representation than writer's outside of Los Angeles?

Almost everybody I've seen says that you *can* make sales/get representation from outside L.A. but that being in L.A. is a significant advantage.

If X increases the likelihood of Y usually that's a pretty good sign that X causes Y.

That does not mean it's a necessary or sufficient condition, but it's called a contributing cause. Like smoking and lung cancer.

Certainly my not being in L.A. isn't the only reason. If I were a better writer like those DDers who have scored reps from outside L.A., then maybe I'd be repped too.

And I might not be good enough to get repped or sell to a studio even after moving to L.A.

There's no point whining about it, but it is good to be cognizant of it and plan accordingly. So my plan is to write another assignment, earn enough cash to move to L.A., then live like a grad student while I develop my career. Somewhere along the line perhaps some combination of the improvements in my writing through doing this work and change in my geography will push me over the threshold into a fuller career.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #105
mrjonesprods

Quote:
Are you suggesting that that writers in Los Angeles have no better chance of securing representation than writer's outside of Los Angeles?

Almost everybody I've seen says that you *can* make sales/get representation from outside L.A. but that being in L.A. is a significant advantage.
I think there are significant advantages to living in LA after you are repped. Before then, it's about the script. And if you write something an agent or manager thinks is awesome, they won't care where you live.

Can you make connections living here that possibly lead to being repped? Sure. (It didn't happen that way for me.) Does that skew the percentages slightly in favor of those living in Los Angeles? Probably.
mrjonesprods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:32 PM   #106
corduroy
User

I'm curious about the writers staffed on shows who can't get a manager or an agent. What kind of show? Shows on actual TV?
corduroy is offline   Reply With Quote