Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Red Tails

Yes, race is just one of many factors. There's absolutely a prejudice against certain genres, too. And yes, sales agents get it wrong all the time. But the ones who get it wrong too much go out of business, and the ones who get it right more often than not do well.

I'm not even saying race is the dominant factor. I think we're discussing the race of actors primarily in this thread because it's a thread about the race of actors.

Comment

I don't think the issue is that audiences don't want to see movies with black characters. It's just the black actors clearly aren't very good.

Fortunately, performance capture technology is now at the stage where good white actors can be brought in to play these black characters with the skill they deserve. I'm actually kind of surprised that Lucas didn't do this, having been such a pioneer with performance capture.

Hopefully, this enlightened thinking will also put an end to the ridiculous search for a 'female action star'. I don't think anyone will argue that SALT would have been taken a lot more seriously if we'd known it was wasn't Angelina Jolie in the role, but a dude (maybe Vin Diesel) who was digitally altered to look like her. Then, deep down, we could believe 'she' was actually able to kick ass.

I hope this helps.
      "Only nothing is impossible."
      - Grant Morrison

Comment

Terrence Howard was amazing in Hustle & Flow. Should have won the Oscar that year.

Comment

Originally posted by instant_karma View Post
          I don't think the issue is that audiences don't want to see movies with black characters. It's just the black actors clearly aren't very good.

Fortunately, performance capture technology is now at the stage where good white actors can be brought in to play these black characters with the skill they deserve. I'm actually kind of surprised that Lucas didn't do this, having been such a pioneer with performance capture.
          hmmm! well, robert downey jr was a hit in tropic thunder

Comment

Japan's number one TV commercial actor...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_cCDFqLeTY
            "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
              Terrence Howard was amazing in Hustle & Flow. Should have won the Oscar that year.

I was thinking about Terrance re this topic. I think he's a great actor who's overlooked too often. He has this natural simpatico thing that makes you root for him no matter how gritty his character may be. He was amazing in Hustle & Flow. Yes, should have got the Oscar. For me, he saved the Brave One because I think Jodie Foster was miscast.

As for Denzel - a fantastic body of work but what does he get the Oscar for? Playing a sociopathic Black cop with lousy dialogue. That always irked me. With all the amazing roles he's played he gets the Oscar for that stereotype.

It's a little obvious where Hollywood's head is at in regard to Black actors.
              Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

As for Denzel - a fantastic body of work but what does he get the Oscar for? Playing a sociopathic Black cop with lousy dialogue. That always irked me. With all the amazing roles he's played he gets the Oscar for that stereotype.

Oh c'mon. Look at his body of work.

Denzel is a movie star. I think he is a good actor and he is in a lot of movies I really like but most of them are nowhere near Best Actor roles.
                Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                  A Soldiers Story was one of the best WWII movies that i've seen and it only made $22 million too many blacks or what?

I liked that movie. My mother and I disagreed with over the drill sergeant's death (She was for it, I wasn't because of his reason for being so hard on his men). I even read the original stage play by Charles Fuller, who also wrote the film.
                  Last edited by Madbandit; 01-13-2012, 09:39 AM.
                  "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by christopher jon View Post
                    Oh c'mon. Look at his body of work.

Denzel is a movie star. I think he is a good actor and he is in a lot of movies I really like but most of them are nowhere near Best Actor roles.

what you say is true. but here's another perspective. maybe it's b/c he's known for always playing the better than good guy and it seemed too natural and easy, so when he goes against character (psycho-cop) then all of a sudden, oh he's really acting now.

some actors never play against genre type. ie. harrison ford
                    and some get no respect when they do. ie - eddie murphy

Comment

To me it seems that mostly there are no all-black casts, because it limits the subject matter of the film too much. Most American films happen in America, and America has only around 12% of black people. Let's look at the top 30 domestic films from last year:

Harry Potter 7
                      Transformers 3
                      Twilight 3
                      Hangover 2
                      Pirates 3
                      Fast Five
                      Cars 2
                      Thor
                      Planet of apes
                      Captain America
                      Mission Impossible 4
                      Bridesmaids
                      The Help
                      Kung Fu Panda 2
                      Sherlock Holmes
                      Puss In Boots
                      X-men: First Class
                      Rio
                      The Smurfs
                      Horrible Bosses
                      Green Lantern
                      Alvin 3
                      Hop
                      Paranormal Activity
                      Just Go With It
                      Bad Teacher
                      Cowboys & Aliens
                      Gnomeo & Juliet

...Looking at that list, almost none of the films could have an all-black cast, because it would be just weird in the context of the story. Also a lot of those films are based on popular source material, where characters are mostly white. They were originally written by white authors in predominantly white cultures. Sure, Rowling could have made Harry Potter black instead of white, but I don't think this means that she has racist tendencies.

There are roughly 5-10 films where the lead character could potentially be black, and it wouldn't really affect the story. Sure, they could also cast a black actor to play Sherlock Holmes or Thor, but fans of the properties probably wouldn't be too happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                        I liked that movie. My mother and I disagreed with over the drill sergeant's death (She was for it, I wasn't because of his reason for being so hard on his men).
                        there's a lot more to it than that. it (his harsh treatment and murder) was not a right or wrong issue. but that needs it's own thread so i'm not going into it.

Comment

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
                          To me it seems that mostly there are no all-black casts, because it limits the subject matter of the film too much.

... almost none of the films could have an all-black cast, because it would be just weird in the context of the story.
                          i'm pretty sure your attitude is the problem.

tangent alert -- i went to see Billy Elliot (on the stage, not the movie) a couple of days ago. they have 5 boys rotating the lead role. my rotation had some asian kid. nobody blinked.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                            i'm pretty sure your attitude is the problem.

tangent alert -- i went to see Billy Elliot (on the stage, not the movie) a couple of days ago. they have 5 boys rotating the lead role. my rotation had some asian kid. nobody blinked.
                            Obviously it would be harder for audiences to accept a black Sherlock Holmes, or a black Thor, than a white one. The reason for this should be so obvious, that hopefully I don't need to go into further details.

It's not my attitude that is the problem, as personally I don't care, really. I'm just using common sense.

Comment

To me it seems that mostly there are no all-black casts, because it limits the subject matter of the film too much. Most American films happen in America, and America has only around 12% of black people. .
                              Limits the subject matter? As in -- Black actors can only play urban (and we know what that's code for) roles? Have you noticed we have a Black president?

Okay -- the population of America is 51% women -- using your percentile approach, how does that explain the lack of women leads?
                              Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Obviously it would be harder for audiences to accept a black Sherlock Holmes, or a black Thor, than a white one. The reason for this should be so obvious, that hopefully I don't need to go into further details.

It's not my attitude that is the problem, as personally I don't care, really. I'm just using common sense.
                                Why exactly? They're fictional characters. It's not the same thing as casting Denzel to play Thomas Jefferson. James Bond has been played by a bunch of actors over the years. If Idris Elba were cast as the next Bond, would the franchise collapse? I'll give you Thor, but what does skin color have to do with most of the films you mentioned?
                                "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Working...
                                X