Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #11
Biohazard

Default Re: Coolest bunch of warriors / fighters / bad asses?

Seven Samurai

The Magnificent Seven

And John Woo's RED CLIFF had a good deal of awesome bad-asses. But only watch the full 5-hour version.

“Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.” - Gandhi

Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #12
Harbinger

Is it wrong if I say The Droogs? Oh, sure there was a lot of ultra-violence and rape.... but they did it with a light-hearted song and a smile. Those loveable rogues.

And, not necessarily bad ass, but I always liked the dynamic between the Dungeon's and Dragons 80's cartoon crew. With the exception of Uni who I would have spit-roasted over a hot fire at the earliest opportunity.

And shame on all of you for no-one having mentioned Thundercats. Yes, Lion-O had a haircut that wouldn't have looked out of place in a Panthera tribute band, but the rest kicked ass. *Cough* TYGRA *cough*.

Although once again, Snarf would have had a date with the blade of the sword of Omens the first time everyone elses' back was turned. Snarf this!

And finally *begin shameless self-promotion* The medieval misfits in my latest comic book adaptation who start out slow, but start to KICK ASS! *end shameless self-promotion*

PS. Agreed on Usual Suspects. And I like the look of that team-up in the Iron fist movie about to be released.
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
instant_karma

The 3 mariachis in Once Upon a Time in Mexico.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #14
CthulhuRises

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
+1

Also: Buliwyf's Viking band in The 13th Warrior.

And, for a nod to the world of animation, if anyone saw the surprisingly good and under-appreciated He-Man television series from 2002, (which was worlds superior to the cheesy Filmation program of the '80s,) the antagonists of Season 2, dubbed the "Snake Men," were an uncommonly interesting group.

Usually, villainous groups in animation are presented as merely a crime syndicate with costumes, its members all bickering and grasping and bumbling. But the Snake Men were conceived as a noble (if evil) ancient race, and its members, beyond having interesting storylines and personalities, were loyal to their king in a way that evoked feudal sensibilities. Good high-fantasy stuff, given the limitations of the genre.

- - -

Oh, and I just remembered another group that really stands out. They never fought together per se, but they were conceived as a group, so I think they might count: The Five Deadly Venoms, of the eponymous Shaw Bros. movie.

Good call on "The 13th Warrior." That was one of my absolute favorite movies as a kid. I know it doesn't get a lot of love, but I thought it was awesome. Book was great, too.
CthulhuRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #15
karsten

Quote:
Originally Posted by CthulhuRises View Post
Good call on "The 13th Warrior." That was one of my absolute favorite movies as a kid. I know it doesn't get a lot of love, but I thought it was awesome. Book was great, too.
Never read the book, but I've always greatly admired the film. Severely under-appreciated. I recently obtained a draft of the screenplay, or an early screenplay, and I have to say that it testifies to a successful example of "development." I.e., the draft that I read is certainly good, but the final film shows numerous substantial improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
And shame on all of you for no-one having mentioned Thundercats.
I never watched the Thundercats that much (although Mumm Ra was a commendably darker-than-usual villain for sanitized 80s animation). Apparently there was a recent reboot of the Thundercats, somewhat improved. (Haven't seen it.) The Thundercats team always reminded me of "G Force," from the Battle of the Plants series, which is the first warrior "team" that I can recall viewing as a kid -- and a pretty entertaining group in its own right.

At any rate, I'm pleased to see someone else bring up an example from the world of animation. As I was thinking about this thread, it occurred to me that most of the warrior-group examples that spring to mind are from animated TV series, not from films.

I wonder if that's because the idea of a "team" is something quintessentially youthful, tied to the school years, when many of us join clubs or teams of one kind or another (Scouts, sports teams, chess clubs, whatever) -- a time of group bonding that ends later in life when we have families -- or, in the case of writers, become hermits...

- - - -

But to come back to the O.P.'s original intention in this post, I think a warrior group that is depicted as a very effective fighting unit is the Spartans in 300. In that film, Leonidas is even given an effective speech in which he explains to the hunchback how the phalanx fights as a single unit, and how a single physically weak link would undermine the entire formation.
karsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #16
SuperScribe

Has anyone mentioned BRAVEHEART yet?
SuperScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #17
entlassen

Quote:
In that film, Leonidas is even given an effective speech in which he explains to the hunchback how the phalanx fights as a single unit, and how a single physically weak link would undermine the entire formation.
And then Leonidas and his men spend most of the battle out of formation and doing all kinds of crazy stunts on their own.
entlassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #18
karsten

Quote:
Originally Posted by entlassen View Post
And then Leonidas and his men spend most of the battle out of formation and doing all kinds of crazy stunts on their own.
Ha, ha. Too true. I expect that the filmmakers thought that it would be too dull for audiences to see a rigid, disciplined phalanx for the entire battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperScribe View Post
Has anyone mentioned BRAVEHEART yet?
I was thinking about this, with Braveheart being one of my favorite films. But it's hard to determine the exact unit we'd be talking about. His initial, small crew of rebels? His later, enlarged army? All of Scotland? No question that he assembles a ferocious fighting force.

- - - -

We'd surely have to add one of the Robin Hood crews. But which one? I'd vote for the Robin of Sherwood incarnation (even though it's a small band), as it's a darker take on the legend than most.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_of_Sherwood
karsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #19
Rantanplan

Yeah I really just can't seem to get those Knights out of my mind. They're all so hot, I don't even know which one I would pick first in my dreams.

The Riders of Rohan were a pretty cool looking bunch too.

And I'm trying to think of flicks with horse-riding, robe-flowing, turban-wearing, saber-waving warriors, like Tuaregs. Those are some pretty striking visuals as well.
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #20
Rantanplan

Quote:
I was thinking about this, with Braveheart being one of my favorite films. But it's hard to determine the exact unit we'd be talking about. His initial, small crew of rebels? His later, enlarged army? All of Scotland? No question that he assembles a ferocious fighting force.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_of_Sherwood
The ones that bend over, lift their kilts, and moon the Brits
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote