Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 01:56 AM   #131
dmizzo
Regular

Default Re: Idris Elba: The First Black James Bond???

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound View Post
If it's Ok for Bond to be black, why not Japanese? or Latino? Tai? Maybe it would be cool to see that martial arts freak from Ong Bak play Bond? Uh... no.

Obviously, character background is a very important factor in casting decisions. I'd rather see Elba play a CIA superspy in a new, ORIGINAL film franchise with a distinct, American backstory. I already have a title: Superstrike.
You realize Elba is British, not American, right?

To my knowledge (please link if I'm wrong), no one affiliated with the franchise has suggested an actor of Japanese or Latino descent, so I'm not sure what your comment has to do with the discussion. Turning James Bond into an Ong Bak style martial artist would clearly change the character in a fundamental way, but again, no one here has pointed out a single thing that would need to change with a black, British actor.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:50 AM   #132
mge457
Regular

Will Idris Elba Be the Next James Bond?

http://entertainment.time.com/2012/1...xt-james-bond/

At a recent New York City press event for the upcoming James Bond film Skyfall, actress Noamie Harris, who plays Bond’s fellow agent Eve, said that there was no discussion on set of the various actors’ races and that actresses of several different racial backgrounds auditioned for the part she ended up playing. And now it looks like those race-blind casting choices may go even further for the franchise: in an interview with The Huffington Post that was published this week, Harris said that the British actor Idris Elba—with whom Harris recently filmed Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom, in which she and Elba play Winnie and Nelson Mandela—has been in talks to play James Bond. Elba told Harris that he had spoken to Bond producer Barbara Broccoli, she said.

I'm not sure we need much more than that...
Old 11-04-2012, 04:14 AM   #133
ihavebiglips

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmizzo View Post
I'm not commenting on Elba or calling anyone "idiot," I'm just asking about Bond. If it destroys his character so fundamentally, it should be easy to point to one vital character trait we'd lose by making him black. What do we lose?
I called people idiots. And I meant it.

Some of the arguments in here are so off base, they're AWOL. Idris Elba fulfills every one of the Bond criteria... like BDZ said, he's cool, calm, suave, fit... the dude is just a bad ass, and it's time the world at large took notice.

The echoed argument against him as Bond in this thread is the fact that Bond is "anglo." It's beyond retarded. As others have said... Idris can wear a tux, he can order a martini, he can bed the Bond Girls, he can fire a gun, drive a dope car, run and jump off high ****...

What's the problem again? Oh yeah... he has more of a dark pigmentation in his skin than other dudes who played the character.

Gimme a break.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:40 AM   #134
TheConnorNoden

For the record I'm coming down in the middle on this. One side is being over-protective towards Bond and the other is being too sensitive over what they percieve to be racism. Any good points made in this thread are going to get drowned out.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:41 AM   #135
Knaight

The whole point of Bond is that he's compensating. If you make him black and give him a huge cock, it ruins his character.

White power.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #136
Jules

Stunt casting bond would be bullshit.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:14 AM   #137
karsten

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwriter View Post
One thing no one will admit, but that history tells us is that powerful black men make certain types of people uncomfortable. Elba does have a commanding, power presence and yes he is black, and at times that might work against him in terms of casting. Generally, certain types of people will not support movies nor actors who make them feel uncomfortable or less than powerful since they've grown accustomed to having their own likeness automatically placed in a position of power as a norm in popular entertainment.
This is irrelevant to the discussion on this forum (irrespective of whether it may or may not have any pertinence outside this thread). No one is saying that Elba cannot or should not play a powerful spy. They are simply saying that he should not play one specific character with an established ethnicity and heritage: James Bond.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:27 AM   #138
instant_karma

Seems like the obvious solution would be to have Idris Elba play Bond in whiteface makeup.

Also, this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWibNjWCjkg
Old 11-04-2012, 06:54 AM   #139
Richmond Weems

Puny Thread!!

HULK SMASH!!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #140
ihavebiglips

How come no one has had a problem with all the white dudes who have played Jesus?

You know, that most "anglo" of Jews.
Closed Thread