Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #631
michaelb

Default Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markerstone View Post
MB - to add to that last question... are you aware of what genres and types of scripts appeal to certain managers?

Seems like relationships with genre specific production companies would probably influence a manager's appetite.

Best,
Markerstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithcalder View Post
Generally, this is pretty easy to figure out just from looking at the manager's client list.
This.

And, not everyone is as genre as specific as you may think. Most people have a diverse client list.

Best,

MB
Old 10-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #632
sstefanovic
User

Internet is such a beautiful thing.

When I was 14 years old my hometown was being heavily bombed by the US (I'm Serbian). My mom cleared one corner of the living room that had no windows around and set up a TV and a VCR there so I could watch movies whenever we got the power back.

I remember I had this awful, pirated, camera recorded version of The Matrix with no subtitles (btw pirating industries lack of professionalism and industry standards of any kind when it comes to subtitles helped me a lot with my english) and I used to watch it over and over again, admiring the story, the action, everything.

Obviously, when you are 14 years old films like The Matrix make even more sense and I can only imagine how my mother felt, being scared, anxious because of the bombing etc but still faking enthusiasm and nodding while I was telling her about the brilliant plan that the machines had - harvesting energy from human beings - not realising at the time it was all just an excuse to have Keanu Reeves and Laurence Fishburne do crazy s$%t (but still, it was an awesome and smart excuse).

Anyway, since I have this feeling that Mr Botti might be less forgiving than my mom when it comes to me blabbing I'll get to the point.

Even then I knew what I wanted to do. I wanted to tell stories and to use this awesome medium called film to do it. But, at the time, Hollywood, screenwriting and movie business in general might have been in a completely different galaxy, that's how far away from me it all seemed to be.

Now, thanks to the internet and people like you it all seems so much closer.

Not only am I able to listen and learn from you, as well as write all this irrelevant s#^t and have you read it (sorry) but now I know that if I work hard It's not impossible to end up being a proud author of one of those 80 loglines that you will glance over one week and forget about them instantly because they kinda suck.

And that's all the motivation I need. That near certainty that my logline will actually be read by someone like you. Rest is up to me.

I'm sorry if I bored you with this Mr Botti. I figured that maybe you would like to know just how big of a global reach what you are doing has.

And what you, and other wonderful industry people are doing (besides giving constructive advices and tips about the business) is making dreams seem much, much closer.

So thank you once more. I'll talk to you again in a couple of months!

Last edited by sstefanovic : 10-09-2013 at 02:25 PM.
sstefanovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #633
EJ Pennypacker

Hi MichaelB,

Is it a complete turn-off for a rep to attempt to sell a prior taken out spec? Is a writers spec dead after its first attempt at selling with another rep? I've read that some reps aren't bothered by this (shopping a previously shopped piece of material), but I was curious what your opinion was on this matter.

EJ
EJ Pennypacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #634
michaelb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
Hi MichaelB,

Is it a complete turn-off for a rep to attempt to sell a prior taken out spec? Is a writers spec dead after its first attempt at selling with another rep? I've read that some reps aren't bothered by this (shopping a previously shopped piece of material), but I was curious what your opinion was on this matter.

EJ
Really just depends on the script. If it went out wide, and it's not the script you are signing with new reps on, it most likely will be used in select cases. It's not often that reps retake out wide a script that has already gone out wide. But again, it's all a case by case basis.

Best,

MB
Old 11-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #635
Silverlynx35
Regular

Hi Michael,
Sorry if this is asked and answered already:
If you query an agent with a Logline and get no response, is it bad form to query the same agent later with a different logline? I assume it's just a pass on the first LL.
Thanks
Old 11-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #636
michaelb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlynx35 View Post
Hi Michael,
Sorry if this is asked and answered already:
If you query an agent with a Logline and get no response, is it bad form to query the same agent later with a different logline? I assume it's just a pass on the first LL.
Thanks
Yep. It's a pass. If I get 2 or 3 bad queries from a writer i will sometimes ask them to stop emailing me though. Granted, I have to remember them from the previous times for that to happen, which only happens on the really bad or push ones.

Best,
Old 11-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #637
CColoredClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
Yep. It's a pass. If I get 2 or 3 bad queries from a writer i will sometimes ask them to stop emailing me though. Granted, I have to remember them from the previous times for that to happen, which only happens on the really bad or push ones.

Best,
Sorry to piggyback on the last question, but has there ever been an instance where you initially passed on a query, but the writer re-queried you some time down the line and you changed your mind and asked to read it?
CColoredClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #638
michaelb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CColoredClown View Post
Sorry to piggyback on the last question, but has there ever been an instance where you initially passed on a query, but the writer re-queried you some time down the line and you changed your mind and asked to read it?
Not that I can remember.

Best,

MB
Old 11-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #639
khurram_89
User

Hey Michael,

I'm sure this has been asked before but reading through 60+ for the answer is tough. On average, how long does it take for managers to respond to a query letter? Should I stop frantically checking my phone for emails after a week? 2 weeks?

Thanks.
khurram_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #640
michaelb

Quote:
Originally Posted by khurram_89 View Post
Hey Michael,

I'm sure this has been asked before but reading through 60+ for the answer is tough. On average, how long does it take for managers to respond to a query letter? Should I stop frantically checking my phone for emails after a week? 2 weeks?

Thanks.
Usually they will either ignore, request, or pass right when they read it.

Best,

MB