Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2014, 12:07 PM   #21
michaelb

Default Re: Manager relationship question

To the OP: You don't have a manager. It's like dating, if you have to ask yourself "does this person like me" they usually don't. Go find one that does.

And like it has been stated, this person never signed you in the first place. There is no "maybe they rep me". Either they said "we are working together and here is the game plane" or they didn't. If they didn't, you don't have a manager.

Best,

MB
Old 01-31-2014, 05:53 PM   #22
sallain
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
To the OP: You don't have a manager. It's like dating, if you have to ask yourself "does this person like me" they usually don't. Go find one that does.

And like it has been stated, this person never signed you in the first place. There is no "maybe they rep me". Either they said "we are working together and here is the game plane" or they didn't. If they didn't, you don't have a manager.

Best,

MB
Thanks for the input, but maybe you could explain to me why he keeps the relationship going? He replies to my emails, he was the one to call me, and he'll email me out of the blue about one of my scripts and ask what the status is. If it's a dating analogy we're using here, is he just keeping me dangling until he finds someone better? Does he not like to break up?

This is the reason I'm confused. Rejection, while unpleasant, is pretty straightforward.

But I appreciate all the comments. I think I've come to the conclusion that he does like my work, (he's told me so, as well as telling me I'm talented) but he obviously has other clients/projects that excite him more. So everyone is correct in saying I should keep looking.

It seems, though, that I get a much better hit rate from producers when I query than I do from managers. Not sure why, maybe that's a question for another thread.
sallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:02 PM   #23
sallain
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmund View Post
Maybe I'm naive, but if you've managed to get a producer interested in your script, why include the manager to whom you have no obligation? To give him 10% for nothing? And if the producer is interested and wants to buy/option it, wouldn't you easily find another manager then, more enthusiastic?
The producer is not interested. Maybe I didn't make that clear. She called me to tell me she loved my writing/scripts but would never produce a period piece. She was just trying to give me some helpful advice. Little did she know that all she did was raise my hopes only to dash them to pieces.

It's the story of my screenwriting "career."
Old 01-31-2014, 06:08 PM   #24
sallain
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
The real question is, what to do with a guy who likes her work, but has declined to commit to her?

She can cut him loose, or she can define their relationship and determine a future collaboration that meets both their needs.
You are 100% correct. This is the situation in a nutshell.

Now, how do you get a guy to commit?

Old 02-01-2014, 10:07 AM   #25
EdFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallain View Post
The producer is not interested. Maybe I didn't make that clear. She called me to tell me she loved my writing/scripts but would never produce a period piece. She was just trying to give me some helpful advice. Little did she know that all she did was raise my hopes only to dash them to pieces.

It's the story of my screenwriting "career."
You should take her advice and write a script that isn't period.
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #26
ProfessorChomp
Regular

I wouldn't abandon period pieces if that's what you like. Write what you do best, be it period or not. Chasing the market often puts writers behind the curve. Plus, at some point there will be a huge period piece sale and suddenly everyone's looking for period pieces again...

I live by the philosophy that "No one's looking for X until they suddenly are."
ProfessorChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:42 AM   #27
mrjonesprods

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFury View Post
You should take her advice and write a script that isn't period.
I hate when people give this "advice." See Ryan Condal's career as an example for why you don't listen to it.
mrjonesprods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #28
Mintclub
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
You don't have a manager. It's like dating, if you have to ask yourself "does this person like me" they usually don't. Go find one that does.

MB
Does it really matter if a rep likes you? Only reps I ever see hanging out with clients are reps who make a TON of money outta said clients. Writers shouldn't care if a manager or an agent likes them. They should care if a manager or an agent likes their writing. This is a business not a popularity contest. My reps seem cool, we get on well enough but I wouldn't wanna hang out with them. It's about the work.

Appreciate you're a manager Michael but I don't think it's cool to be telling young writers to go and find reps that like them. It's ALWAYS about the material not how you vibe as people. Poor form.
Mintclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #29
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintclub View Post
Does it really matter if a rep likes you? Only reps I ever see hanging out with clients are reps who make a TON of money outta said clients. Writers shouldn't care if a manager or an agent likes them. They should care if a manager or an agent likes their writing. This is a business not a popularity contest. My reps seem cool, we get on well enough but I wouldn't wanna hang out with them. It's about the work.

Appreciate you're a manager Michael but I don't think it's cool to be telling young writers to go and find reps that like them. It's ALWAYS about the material not how you vibe as people. Poor form.
I suspect he means "likes my material/me as a writer" not "likes me as a person", thought that is certainly a bonus.
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #30
ATB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintclub View Post
You missed the point of that analogy, dude.

ATB is offline   Reply With Quote