Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #11
sunglider
New User

Default Re: Which script reader is best for your buck?

I should have gone to this site first, cld hav saved money and got helped. As soon as I've finished rewriting I'll seek recommendations above. It hurts to get told by college grad that ur screenplay sucks which is precisely what first drafts are submitted for. Thanks guys.
sunglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #12
TigerFang

There's a product called "Unguentine" and there's also the Aloe Vera plant to help you soothe the stings and burns of slings and arrows, or this:

“Sometimes I write drunk and revise sober, and sometimes I write sober and revise drunk. But you have to have both elements in creation — the Apollonian and the Dionysian, or spontaneity and restraint, emotion and discipline.” -- Peter De Vries, from his novel Reuben, Reuben.

TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:21 PM   #13
evan_g
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurio View Post
There's going to be a few different opinions on this, but for me there's no one better than Andrew Hilton (Screenplay Mechanic).

First, the numbers - Has evaluated somewhere in the neighborhood of 8000+ scripts over the past decade or so. He has more recommendations over the last five years on this board than any one else by far.

Second, the quality - Has worked in development with every major studio in Hollywood. He has a large number of working writers (at very high level) that use him on an ongoing basis. Jeff Lowell and a number of the other pros that frequent this board have recommended him. Third, he has sold and optioned a number of scripts over the past decade and currently has one, if not two, active projects with a major studio.

Third, he's approachable - He works with you. He'll happily answer questions and make suggestions after you receive your notes.

Fourth -- He gives a discount to DDP members.

The only downside is that he's usually booked at least thirty days in advance. There's a reason for that.
+1. Drew's also brilliant.
evan_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 03:53 PM   #14
Dunelm
User

More votes for Drew!

His points are spot on and he's super flexible. I'm sure I was driving him crazy with scheduling on a script my partner and I are still working on but he was completely understanding. And if you're talking best for buck, Drew is very reasonable. I'm definitely taking future scripts to him.
Dunelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #15
LauriD

I used both Drew (Mechanic) and Amanda (scriptgal) to get fresh eyes on a script I wrote for a client.

They both gave me useful notes, but I found Amanda's more useful.

I also do screenplay notes myself. Samples and rates on request -- but I'm not the budget option.

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.
LauriD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #16
aocolour
New User

Glad this thread exist. I know writers, but not screenwriters, so I don't have anyone to put eyes to my script.
aocolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:13 PM   #17
ComicBent

Quote:
I know writers, but not screenwriters, so I don't have anyone to put eyes to my script.
Before you spend money, you might consider posting five pages on this board and getting feedback. And if you ask for volunteers to read your whole script, you may receive some offers.

Also, if you have friends who are writers, they can still read a screenplay. The leap is not very great.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:56 AM   #18
Friday
Regular

The consultant I found to be the most helpful so far has been Pilar Alessandra. What I like about her is that she's more of a teacher than a coverage person (she was a teacher at the UCLA Writers' Program). A lot of consultants might be able to point out problems with your script, but can't really show you how to fix them---you only end up feeling more frustrated rather than inspired to go write that new draft. I like using her as a sounding board because she will actually try to brainstorm with me what direction to go with my script.
Friday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:26 AM   #19
WriterNZ
User

Thumbs up Re: Which script reader is best for your buck?

Have to throw another +1 Drew's way.

Have used him a couple of times now, both times with tight deadlines looming. Not only were his notes on point and allowed us to focus on the most important sections for quick rewriting, but he's incredibly responsive, genuinely encouraging, and easy to work with.

Will probably use him for every script from this point on.

WriterNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:31 PM   #20
Zed's_Dead
User

Screenplay Mechanic is very good, big props to him. And there's a guy on Zoetrope who does notes privately who has a good deal for $80 for ten pages of notes, who is very hands on and follows up. That's my favorite. I don't know if I should put his email out, but hit me up with a private message.

I've never tried ScriptGal or Drew.
Zed's_Dead is offline   Reply With Quote