Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Articles, Books, Blogs, Magazines, DVDs & Podcasts
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2019, 08:10 PM   #11
GucciGhostXXX

Default Re: A New Podcast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
i think my comments are more directed at undertanding the differences between different managers and what their management style is, because i do understand that managers are going to vary quite a bit.

the problem i have is that i don't know any of these managers personally, so i do not know their style and whether they are compatible with mine, so i'm querying blind.

i don't feel comfortable asking writers here that i don't know who their managers are or what their style is, so for me, i'd like to know a little more about the managers that speak on podcasts and such.

i could be just missing the right podcasts, actually, so it anyone knows any good ones relating to this topic i'd appreciate the shout out.

thanks. FA4
Gotcha. Yeah, this town seems that way, eh? Info is hidden. Nobody wants us to know sh!t... nor each other.

I'd just google the person and learn what I can find out. Best way to know if you're a fit: Send your stuff out, if they dig it, you know they at least relate to you on the page. From there... meet them, do you click?

Ps... I would look up what they've sold. That can tell you something about their taste. Take my ex for example: most of the stuff she's known for is dark "chick-lit." If you (whomever) have a broad comedy, she definitely ain't the one, she won't 'get it'. You got a story of a dark, troubled chick who does fukked up **** to people, yup, that's up her alley and moves her needle.

In short: look up their sales and client list if you can find it.
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:36 AM   #12
docgonzo

Quote:
i think my comments are more directed at undertanding the differences between different managers and what their management style is, because i do understand that managers are going to vary quite a bit.

the problem i have is that i don't know any of these managers personally, so i do not know their style and whether they are compatible with mine, so i'm querying blind.

i don't feel comfortable asking writers here that i don't know who their managers are or what their style is, so for me, i'd like to know a little more about the managers that speak on podcasts and such.

i could be just missing the right podcasts, actually, so it anyone knows any good ones relating to this topic i'd appreciate the shout out.

thanks. FA4
Scripts & Scribes has a ton of episodes with managers (including mine and Gucci's!) That might be a good way to get a sense of who they are and how they operate. It's not a complete picture, of course, but you can at least familiarize yourself with them, though some of the episodes are older and might not be as reflective of who they are now.

http://www.scriptsandscribes.com/cat...gentsmanagers/
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #13
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
Scripts & Scribes has a ton of episodes with managers (including mine and Gucci's!) That might be a good way to get a sense of who they are and how they operate. It's not a complete picture, of course, but you can at least familiarize yourself with them, though some of the episodes are older and might not be as reflective of who they are now.

http://www.scriptsandscribes.com/cat...gentsmanagers/
thanks, docgonzo, Adam Kolbrenner was up first and a very good interview. i like that manager. he seems like he's a good manager. for some reason i couldn't get any of the other episodes to play on my phone. will check them out on my laptop. maybe it's an iphone glitch.

anyway, great interview with AK.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #14
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
thanks, docgonzo, Adam Kolbrenner was up first and a very good interview. i like that manager. he seems like he's a good manager. for some reason i couldn't get any of the other episodes to play on my phone. will check them out on my laptop. maybe it's an iphone glitch.

anyway, great interview with AK.
I agree with docgonzo. Yup, our manager is on there, he does a pretty clear job of explaining exactly what he's looking for and why.

Plus I like Kevin. Shout out to Kevin!

Ps... I've told our manager I've seen his interview and liked it. He basically said that much has changed for him since and would do it a bit differently now. Meaning, he's learned a lot since and has adjusted. That's relevant. I think he should do another one. Dig the guy! Smart. Great notes IMO!
Old 07-16-2019, 11:48 AM   #15
Satriales
User

That podcast and spending way too much time reading hacked Sony emails were my two biggest resources in understanding the business side of things. Currently, Todd Garner’s podcast is a helluva resource as well.
Satriales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:52 PM   #16
lostfootage
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satriales View Post
That podcast and spending way too much time reading hacked Sony emails were my two biggest resources in understanding the business side of things. Currently, Todd Garner’s podcast is a helluva resource as well.
Those emails were GOLD. Especially the ones where Scott Rudin talks about AJ. I felt so guilty reading them, but I couldn't stop.

So, the only podcast I really listen to is Script Notes. I still like it, but it's wearing a little thin this past year. I'm going to check out some of the other podcasts mentioned here.

To those of you starting a new one, I'll definitely listen!
lostfootage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:47 AM   #17
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostfootage View Post
Those emails were GOLD. Especially the ones where Scott Rudin talks about AJ. I felt so guilty reading them, but I couldn't stop.

So, the only podcast I really listen to is Script Notes. I still like it, but it's wearing a little thin this past year. I'm going to check out some of the other podcasts mentioned here.

To those of you starting a new one, I'll definitely listen!
Agreed! I enjoy Scriptnotes at times (the "NOTES ON NOTES" episode. Fukking EPIC! Loved the sh!t outta that episode!). But, in their quest to play incredibly PC, I feel like there's way too much Rom/Com-Chick-lit stuff on it. It's off balance IMO. That or bringing on the same hugely established writers (showrunners). Bruh, bring on some struggling writers. I wanna hear from them. Repped, but struggling. It's becoming a bit *way too insidery* IMO...

There's room for another podcast that deals with the daily bullsh!t grind that WE deal with. IMO.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:07 AM   #18
lostfootage
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
Agreed! I enjoy Scriptnotes at times (the "NOTES ON NOTES" episode. Fukking EPIC! Loved the sh!t outta that episode!). But, in their quest to play incredibly PC, I feel like there's way too much Rom/Com-Chick-lit stuff on it. It's off balance IMO. That or bringing on the same hugely established writers (showrunners). Bruh, bring on some struggling writers. I wanna hear from them. Repped, but struggling. It's becoming a bit *way too insidery* IMO...

There's room for another podcast that deals with the daily bullsh!t grind that WE deal with. IMO.
I agree with everything you just said. I do have two favorite episodes. One is when they have the owner of Final Draft on and Craig unleashes the umbrage. John barely speaks -- John is so polite! It's like when you're in a restaurant and the couple next to you starts having a whispered fight. You feel bad listening, but you can't help it. That episode feels the same way. Episode 129 -- https://johnaugust.com/2014/the-one-...om-final-draft

And then the episode with Malcolm Spellman on it. He's one my favorite screenwriters of all time. (Along with Shane Black.) I could listen to him talk about things for hours. Okay, I found it. I'm going to listen to it again this weekend, it's been a while. Episode 185 -- https://johnaugust.com/2015/malcolm-...-study-in-heat

The title is "A Study in Heat." He talks about his trough experience, where he wasn't getting calls, and had to reinvent himself as a writer and get his momentum back. Etc. Worth a revisit.
lostfootage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:42 AM   #19
winter dreams

Malcolm used to post on DD as "BattleDolphinZero", lots of good stuff in the archives.
winter dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:11 PM   #20
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostfootage View Post
I agree with everything you just said. I do have two favorite episodes. One is when they have the owner of Final Draft on and Craig unleashes the umbrage. John barely speaks -- John is so polite! It's like when you're in a restaurant and the couple next to you starts having a whispered fight. You feel bad listening, but you can't help it. That episode feels the same way. Episode 129 -- https://johnaugust.com/2014/the-one-...om-final-draft

And then the episode with Malcolm Spellman on it. He's one my favorite screenwriters of all time. (Along with Shane Black.) I could listen to him talk about things for hours. Okay, I found it. I'm going to listen to it again this weekend, it's been a while. Episode 185 -- https://johnaugust.com/2015/malcolm-...-study-in-heat

The title is "A Study in Heat." He talks about his trough experience, where he wasn't getting calls, and had to reinvent himself as a writer and get his momentum back. Etc. Worth a revisit.
Ha! Haven't heard that episode (129), sounds hilarious. Craig cracks me the fukk up!

Will listen to both. Thanks for the heads up!