Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2006, 10:15 AM   #1
jtwg50

Default NEED PRO ADVICE -- Script delivery question

New York producers who optioned my script for serious money and have an agreement (no money yet) with a major studio to attach a name director from an approved list say it's OK to submit scripts to those directors, as well as some prodcos, by electronic submission (PDF). I insist they must be sent as "perfect" hard-copy scripts by courier -- the traditional method.
The issue is that I don't use a script software program and did it in Word, using the DD recommended Dark Courier type face, which is beautiful and mimics Final Draft. When converted to PDF, however, the Dark Courier face reverts to a lighter type that is harder to read and not as elegant/bold.
Does this make any difference in terms of that all-important "first impression" or "accepted industry practice?"
I'm a believer in doing it by the book (directors and prodcos are long-accustomed to getting hard-copy scripts by courier).
If that's true, should the producers at least propose they'd "prefer" to send a hard-copy script (since I would?)
Please advise. Thanks.
jtwg50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:18 AM   #2
Hamboogul

Default Re: NEED PRO ADVICE -- Script delivery question

I'd suggest that you use some of that "serious money" to buy a copy of Final Draft. At some point, we all have to.

Plus, wouldn't sending PDF be cheaper and faster than the mail method?
Hamboogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #3
EJ Pennypacker

Didn't rocksadiva mention recently about how in his opinion, pdf's are the norm. now in sending material?

EJ

Last edited by EJ Pennypacker : 11-04-2006 at 12:49 PM.
EJ Pennypacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:53 AM   #4
jtwg50

Default CE -- thanks for the response! I'm a fan.

Hi, CE. Thanks for the response. I trust your take more than anyone else's, since I greatly admire all you do to help new writers.
The "book" I was referring to is the long tradition of sending hard-copy scripts by courier -- as all the agencies and management companies still do, correct?
I do understand that electronic submissions are becoming more acceptable, but my concern is the "translation" issue of the Dark Courier type face to PDF (it comes out lighter although still clear).
I have a real shot with the script, and I don't want a peripheral detail to harm my chances for success.
If you say it's OK, I won't worry.
FYI, the "serious money" was $10,000 for 6 months. And you're right -- I'll get Final Draft.
Thanks again for your time and courtesy. Much appreciated.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:21 PM   #5
LIMAMA

If the Producers said send it in Swahili, do it.
LIMAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:27 PM   #6
YeahWrite
Regular

Print out your script from Word, formatted the way you like and then scan those printed pages back into your computer to make your PDF.

Locate a Writer
Locate an Actor
(also by calling SAG 323.549.6737)
YeahWrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:33 PM   #7
YeahWrite
Regular

Default Re: CE -- thanks for the response! I'm a fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwg50 View Post
The "book" I was referring to is the long tradition of sending hard-copy scripts by courier -- as all the agencies and management companies still do, correct?
I do understand that electronic submissions are becoming more acceptable, but my concern is the "translation" issue of the Dark Courier type face to PDF (it comes out lighter although still clear).
I have a real shot with the script, and I don't want a peripheral detail to harm my chances for success.
You are not an agency or management company. Drop your script in the mail and call it a day. All of your concerns are things we all worried about when getting out our first script only to realize that it hardly matters. Just make it look professional and all they will care about is what's inside.

You also may want to look at Movie Magic Screenwriter.

Good luck.

Locate a Writer
Locate an Actor
(also by calling SAG 323.549.6737)
YeahWrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:11 PM   #8
BROUGHCUT

you just need to embed the "dark courier" font into the pdf document. check the pdf settings.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:34 PM   #9
jtwg50

Default To Boski's questions

Thanks for the kind words, Boski.
To answer your questions, I got about as lucky as a first-timer can. One of the NY producers is a former CBS News executive and successful documentary producer-director. He was drawn to my script because of the subject matter. It's a very realistic, well researched political thriller.
The other is his partner, a former talent manager and film industry business manager with a couple of pretty major stars (one of whom he's casting in my script if all goes according to plan -- an iconic actor everyone knows. I wrote a key role for him.).
Their motive for putting up such good money for an option is that they are both highly motivated to become feature producers and they understand how hard it is. Neither has any feature credits. They were looking for what they considered a great script to give them a leg up, and they found me through a mutual acquaintance, who has now signed on as the third producer and has major connections. She is the one who set up the studio arrangement. She also has relationships with some major Hollywood producers and studio execs.
The three of them believe stongly in the script. We just went through months of rewrites and it will go out next week to the studio-approved directors and others, including some prodcos (the producers understand they will have to hook up with a "real" producer or production entity, too).
I'll post results here. The DD family has been of great help to me on many matters. I've learned an enormous amount from prior posts from CE and many others.
By trade, I've been a journalist, magazine writer and book author for a long time. Now all I want to do is write scripts -- and move back to LA.
Thanks again for your kind encouragement to a stranger.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:39 PM   #10
yvonnjanae

I don't know if it's amusing or disturbing that so much discussion centers around the way a script is presented.

Maybe I don't really want to be in this business. Because I find any development executive who becomes so righteously indignant over a script being done in Microsoft Word that they won't even read it as unworthy of the good fortune bestowed on them.

Sooner or later, somebody's gonna get around to putting the quality of the plot ahead of these other things. I hope.

"Until the Lion writes his own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter." -African Proverb
yvonnjanae is offline   Reply With Quote