Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #31
emily blake

Default Re: So this is what happened to me...

Your name is the one on the script.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #32
ATB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodi View Post
Surely the issue is even broader than that?
Probably, yes.

ATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #33
Juno Styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerman123 View Post
I canít get my head around this one. Itís never happened to me. Has anyone experienced this 180 degree turn around from excited to ignore? If so, please let me know, Iíd hate to think Iím the only one who has gone through this!
Had a very similar situation this year except it wasn't 1 week it was more like a month and some change of no replies to emails or calls. I later got an email she sent out to what seems like everyone in her address book saying she was resigning and had also moved out of the country. Also later found out through her co-worker -- who had originally introduced us -- that she had just gotten married and her husband got a gig in UK....so you never know what's going on in these people's lives.

Guess you know by all the responses that you shoulda never let an exec make changes to your script...in my situation the person just gave notes and asked me to just do a quick outline based on the changes we agreed to and that's what she was going to pitch to her bosses...in addition to the script I had sent originally.

The Fiction Story Room
Juno Styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #34
pickerman123
User

Well, here's an update to my situation:

I gave the production company the boot. I emailed the Creative Exec a kind thank you but felt his "hand's on" changes diminished my script.

I was stunned at his lazy, didn't-even-bother-to-check-his-own-spelling-errors.

His dialogue changes embarrassed me. He edited content that made it so only the reader knew what was going on but not the audience. He made story presumptions that were openly, and clearly wrong. I couldn't believe it.

I was hoping this guy would blow me away with his writing talent. I took a risk. And man, was I stunned. I only wish you guys here at Done Deal could see the "before and after."

My script keeps getting managers and agents to contact me but I'm one finicky motherf@#$er.

For me, it's about relationships. Be it writer/manager writer/agent writer/prod.co.

So far, I haven't found the right fit for me. I'm hoping I'll find that one person, company who appreciates my work and wants to rep me.

Final thought (for those who don't already know): Never, EVER let anyone screw with you or your work even if they have an Oscar (which this company has).

Let them pay you before they screw you. It's a two way street and some of these people seem to forget that.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #35
vstm10
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerman123 View Post
My script keeps getting managers and agents to contact me but I'm one finicky motherf@#$er.

vstm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #36
Hamboogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPurves View Post
A producer once gave my script to her assistant who fixed my spelling errors and reworded some of my action lines.

I flipped! I very rarely lose my temper but in that case I sure did.

First off, why is she sending my script to ANYONE without my knowledge, and that includes her assistant.

Secondly, who touches someone else's work without being asked?

I never worked with that producer again.

People forward scripts to other people all the time. If you have an amazing script, it'll be passed from one exec to another.

And scripts get passed downward all the time because the busy execs and agents don't have time to read all the material that come their way. So they often need a filtering system. It happens more so because of the FWD button on your email.
Hamboogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #37
JeffLowell

This should go without saying, but never send the final draft file of your script out. Send a pdf. Always. Even when you're being paid to write. If they want the Final Draft (or MMS) file, they should ask you for it, and they should have a pretty good fucking reason why they're asking for it. It usually means you're getting fired.
JeffLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #38
LMPurves
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamboogul View Post
People forward scripts to other people all the time. If you have an amazing script, it'll be passed from one exec to another.

And scripts get passed downward all the time because the busy execs and agents don't have time to read all the material that come their way. So they often need a filtering system. It happens more so because of the FWD button on your email.
In my world, I don't give a fvck who you are. You don't pass my script out to anyone without my knowledge. I track every person who has my script and I know how they got it.

I've passed many scripts written by others to various producers and execs but I always inform the writer first.

To do otherwise would be very disrespectful.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #39
emily blake

Why so precious with your material?
Old 03-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #40
abiqua
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffLowell View Post
This should go without saying, but never send the final draft file of your script out. Send a pdf. Always. Even when you're being paid to write. If they want the Final Draft (or MMS) file, they should ask you for it, and they should have a pretty good fucking reason why they're asking for it. It usually means you're getting fired.
Absolutely. The only time I've ever released Final Draft files was when producers requested them upon exercise of their options and I got paid.

I had two different managers ask for Final Draft files.
Me: "Really? Why?"
Manager: "Well, there are some minor changes needed and it would be quicker if I just made them."
Me: "Give me the notes. I'll make the changes and send you the new PDF."

I'm not with either manager anymore.
abiqua is offline   Reply With Quote