Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #21
WaitForIt
Regular
 
WaitForIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 437
Default Re: New prodco to focus on female directors and "strong roles for women"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestuart View Post
But I'm thrown by the 'boning' thing, females having sex in movies is bad for females? Was there a forth wave of feminism I missed here? Serious question, do not want to be a massive bigot.
Isn't it interesting that women fought and fought and continue to fight to exist in a way that does not ultimately serve men by default, and yet here we are in the 21st century and it's a big deal that a woman does not have consequence-free sex on screen. Make of that what you will.
WaitForIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #22
emily blake
Member
 
emily blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,721
Default Re: New prodco to focus on female directors and "strong roles for women"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitForIt View Post
Isn't it interesting that women fought and fought and continue to fight to exist in a way that does not ultimately serve men by default, and yet here we are in the 21st century and it's a big deal that a woman does not have consequence-free sex on screen. Make of that what you will.
I have been told straight up that if I want to have a male and female working together to solve a case, they must be romantically involved. They are not allowed to simply respect each other as colleagues; they have to be intimate.

A beautiful, smart woman who is interested in doing her best work and not in sleeping around? It's nice to see.
__________________
Chicks Who Script podcast
emily blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #23
Hamboogul
Member
 
Hamboogul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary
Posts: 2,302
Default Re: New prodco to focus on female directors and "strong roles for women"

The one thing I can say with certainty is that if you have a good script with a strong role for a woman, you will be loved by every female executive in Hollywood.
Hamboogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #24
WaitForIt
Regular
 
WaitForIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 437
Default Re: New prodco to focus on female directors and "strong roles for women"

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily blake View Post
I have been told straight up that if I want to have a male and female working together to solve a case, they must be romantically involved. They are not allowed to simply respect each other as colleagues; they have to be intimate.

A beautiful, smart woman who is interested in doing her best work and not in sleeping around? It's nice to see.
There is no romantic involvement in I, Robot; something I've chewed on for ages because it would, as you say, have been so easy to include. It wouldn't have served the story at all so it's better as is. I just wonder if that conversation happened.
WaitForIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #25
WaitForIt
Regular
 
WaitForIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 437
Default Re: New prodco to focus on female directors and "strong roles for women"

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily blake View Post
I have been told straight up that if I want to have a male and female working together to solve a case, they must be romantically involved. They are not allowed to simply respect each other as colleagues; they have to be intimate.
Also -- was this the determination of a male or a female?
WaitForIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #26
WaitForIt
Regular
 
WaitForIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 437
Default Re: New prodco to focus on female directors and "strong roles for women"

Germane:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...it-all/309020/
WaitForIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #27
emily blake
Member
 
emily blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,721
Default Re: New prodco to focus on female directors and "strong roles for women"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitForIt View Post
I'm actually not sure what that article has to do with this discussion.
__________________
Chicks Who Script podcast
emily blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #28
WaitForIt
Regular
 
WaitForIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 437
Default Re: New prodco to focus on female directors and "strong roles for women"

Why the dearth of females? Is it necessarily more the case that females are being shut out or could it be that females are simply less interested? This was discussed in a Scriptnotes podcast a while back.

More females would be an excellent, excellent thing; it would open the gates for the ones who are currently being shut out. But I'm not sure the gates would be flooded after the fact. That's all I'm saying. I would wager this kind of conversation will still happen 50 years from now.
WaitForIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #29
WaitForIt
Regular
 
WaitForIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 437
Default Re: New prodco to focus on female directors and "strong roles for women"

Maybe we need the same sort of campaigns encouraging girls to consider being filmmakers/writers as currently exist encouraging girls to consider careers in math and science (where they are grossly underrepresented).
WaitForIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #30
bmcthomas
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 783
Default Re: New prodco to focus on female directors and "strong roles for women"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitForIt View Post
Why the dearth of females? Is it necessarily more the case that females are being shut out or could it be that females are simply less interested? This was discussed in a Scriptnotes podcast a while back.

More females would be an excellent, excellent thing; it would open the gates for the ones who are currently being shut out. But I'm not sure the gates would be flooded after the fact. That's all I'm saying. I would wager this kind of conversation will still happen 50 years from now.
Well sure. Us gals don't want to be CEOs, politicians, partners in law firms or scientists either. People of color also seem to have little interest in these occupations, since the only logical reason for a lack of diversity is lack of interest on the part of the under-represented.

Amazing how many careers are onlyappealing to white guys. Huh.
bmcthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker