Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #11
GucciGhostXXX

Default Re: You're a producer, fo realz???

I maybe shouldn't admit this, but. It's a thing that kinda bums me out. Speaking of GHOSTING.

So, Years ago my ex reps a writer. Me and this writer were kinda writing buds, we read each other's stuff, gave each other notes etc. Commiserated. Truth is, I was the better writer (I'll get to that in a sec). My ex would say to me that, while she really dug this person, their writing just wasn't that good and wasn't going anywhere. "Sadly I need to drop him." I'm like "No way! You can't. Just give him a little more time, he'll figure it out." So she didn't drop him. Months later, same convo "No! don't drop him." "Fine..." 2 years of this. Me fighting to keep him signed without him realizing I was the reason he wasn't being dropped. Around this time he comes to me with a film concept, asks me if I want to co-write it because he knows I'm better at said genre. I consider it, but ultimately, not really my jam. Sorry. Finally my ex says "I'm dropping him, sadly I'm done done this time." I'm like, "fair enough, you tried, but you can't just be like 'I'm dropping you, bye. That's not cool, he's a great guy." I'm like "Okay fine, let him go, but you gotta try to lead him into something else or he's gonna be crushed... HE'D MAKE A GREAT PRODUCER. I think you should suggest that to him." She's like "You know what, that's a great idea."

She drops him while also suggesting that he become a producer. He's bummed he's dropped, but appreciates the candor and advice.

A couple years later he sells something (as a producer) for a lot of money at a certain film festival. A couple years after that he's up for a certain award. A year or so after that he's the head of a certain high profile prodco. His rise, fast!

My point: He knows none of this backstory. I fought for him to not get dropped many times (all told 7-8 times? Over 2 years?) I then came up with the idea to suggest he aim at producing and would be good at it. That suggestion may have been what changed his life (Not taking credit for his HARD work, but it may have been the inspiration).

But now, he ghosts me. And I can't tell him how much I looked out for him without him knowing 'BRO, THAT WAS ME', because that would be bad form.

Oh well...

(and if you have a guess who I'm talking about, please don't say, because it may not be them. Not looking to offend anyone. Just being honest about what happened behind closed doors).

Last edited by GucciGhostXXX : 07-11-2019 at 03:00 PM.
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #12
Bono

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
I hear you but it doesn't have to be that way.

Example: On this latest project I emailed a certain producer of my own accord, just reached out. I suppose you could say we're acquaintances, but not super tight besties. I probably shouldn't mention his name, but let's just say he's won Oscars for best pic twice in the last 5 years (You can probably figure out who I'm talking about, but let's not use his name).

Dude is obviously HELLA busy. I email him the pitch. Mind you, WITHOUT a logline (like I've said, I try to avoid them and don't really believe in them). Just told him the title, genera, and what it was about. Also told him why I believe it should be made, the social relevance (feature). If you saw my email, most writers would say "Wtf!? No, never pitch that way!" 10 minutes later he responds with "Sure, I'd love to take a look. Please send." My manager changes his mind, believes as a feature it's too compressed, can I redo it as a TV show, create a bible. Ton of work, but fine. I email this producer back and explain. He emails me back in under 10 minutes "No problem, send when ready." I email this producer later for a reason I forget. I look at my phone, oh crap it's Saturday, spaced. Bad form, right? Producer emails me back at midnight. Finally we send materials over. Few weeks go by. At this point my manager is like "Seems like he's more responsive to you, maybe you should just handle the dealings with him." No prob. I check in "Wondering if you've had a chance to take a look." No lie, 3 minutes later "I have not."

And that's where we're currently at. But my point is. If one of the most successful producers in the world can behave with class, so can everyone else. I've lost count of how many Oscars and Globes he has amassed in the last 5 years.
Well I agree should be that way and I'd argue the most successful people are the ones that respond to emails from everyone the same way. That's why they are successful.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:16 PM   #13
Satriales
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Well I agree should be that way and I'd argue the most successful people are the ones that respond to emails from everyone the same way. That's why they are successful.
Was out for first round of generals last fall. A person who was in the midst of award season push and had an event that night - who could have easily bailed on the meeting or dumped me to their CE - kept rearranging the schedule to fit me in. Eventually met for coffee in BH on the way home prior to the event. There’s a lot of dinks with 40 year careers in the business but I’d assume it’s easier to get **** done if you’re a mensch.
Satriales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #14
GucciGhostXXX

I agree with you both.

Little story of how I learned this: My buddy (not in "the industry") is super well off. Rich? He just bought another home, apartment in SF for 3.5 mil. He hangs with an ultra wealthy crowd. One of his BFFs is the Levi Strauss heir (who I've smoked weed with), that kind of wealth. I've hung out with these guys. Picture a driveway full of Lambos and Ferraris. Here's the thing, my buddy treats EVERYONE the same, from the homeless guy on the corner to a CEO, everyone walks away feeling like they're his best friend. That's why he's ballin'. That's a lesson I learned from him years ago. The reason he and all his friends are rich as fukk is because they're NICE to everyone and return calls etc. No ghosting.

And to any producers reading this, you may think you're a big shot and therefore don't need to be nice: but unless you have a Lambo, Ferrari, Bentley, 2 Range Rovers, and a classic Ford parked in your garage, you're not as rich as my buddy who's nice to everyone. So, maybe take a lesson from him on how to do business.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:26 PM   #15
Mintclub
Regular

I have a script that hit the market yesterday. Today I received an email from one of the producers the script has gone to, just to say “hey I’ve just had your script through. I’m looking forward to the read” I worked on spec for this producer a few years ago but we’ve not crossed paths much since. Said producer is an Oscar winner, president of a major production company and behind some of the biggest comic book movies of recent years. And STILL he found the time in his busy schedule (without any prompting) to reach out and say hello. Classy guy. And more to the point, nice.

Last edited by Mintclub : 07-13-2019 at 02:25 AM.
Mintclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:26 AM   #16
docgonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintclub View Post
I have a script that hit the market yesterday. Today I received an email from one of the producers the script has gone to, just to say “hey I’ve just had your script through. I’m looking forward to the read” I worked on spec for this producer a few years ago but we’ve not crossed paths much since. Said producer is an Oscar winner, president of a major production company and behind some of the biggest comic book movies of recent years. And STILL he found the time in his busy schedule (without any prompting) to reach out and say hello. Classy guy. And more to the point, nice.
Awesome, good luck!
docgonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:13 AM   #17
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintclub View Post
Rad! Good luck!
Old 07-14-2019, 05:12 AM   #18
lumous
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
I maybe shouldn't admit this, but. It's a thing that kinda bums me out. Speaking of GHOSTING.

So, Years ago my ex reps a writer. Me and this writer were kinda writing buds, we read each other's stuff, gave each other notes etc. Commiserated. Truth is, I was the better writer (I'll get to that in a sec). My ex would say to me that, while she really dug this person, their writing just wasn't that good and wasn't going anywhere. "Sadly I need to drop him." I'm like "No way! You can't. Just give him a little more time, he'll figure it out." So she didn't drop him. Months later, same convo "No! don't drop him." "Fine..." 2 years of this. Me fighting to keep him signed without him realizing I was the reason he wasn't being dropped. Around this time he comes to me with a film concept, asks me if I want to co-write it because he knows I'm better at said genre. I consider it, but ultimately, not really my jam. Sorry. Finally my ex says "I'm dropping him, sadly I'm done done this time." I'm like, "fair enough, you tried, but you can't just be like 'I'm dropping you, bye. That's not cool, he's a great guy." I'm like "Okay fine, let him go, but you gotta try to lead him into something else or he's gonna be crushed... HE'D MAKE A GREAT PRODUCER. I think you should suggest that to him." She's like "You know what, that's a great idea."

She drops him while also suggesting that he become a producer. He's bummed he's dropped, but appreciates the candor and advice.

A couple years later he sells something (as a producer) for a lot of money at a certain film festival. A couple years after that he's up for a certain award. A year or so after that he's the head of a certain high profile prodco. His rise, fast!

My point: He knows none of this backstory. I fought for him to not get dropped many times (all told 7-8 times? Over 2 years?) I then came up with the idea to suggest he aim at producing and would be good at it. That suggestion may have been what changed his life (Not taking credit for his HARD work, but it may have been the inspiration).

But now, he ghosts me. And I can't tell him how much I looked out for him without him knowing 'BRO, THAT WAS ME', because that would be bad form.

Oh well...

(and if you have a guess who I'm talking about, please don't say, because it may not be them. Not looking to offend anyone. Just being honest about what happened behind closed doors).

Sucks big time, I've had the same with business ventures and in my personal life. Sometimes you have to see almost feel sorry for some people, as they must have some issues deep down to be such a miserable version of a human being.
lumous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:20 AM   #19
lumous
User

Basically a producer just hires smarter people to make a film and gets paid for it.

that's why so many a'holes in it.
lumous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:55 AM   #20
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumous View Post
Sucks big time, I've had the same with business ventures and in my personal life. Sometimes you have to see almost feel sorry for some people, as they must have some issues deep down to be such a miserable version of a human being.
Yeah, it's kinda weird. Now he's rich and famous and I'm a nobody. But, I helped him A LOT! He emailed me from the Oscars, but otherwise ghosts on MY projects. I just don't roll that way, I try my best to help people. Just feels right to me. I wonder what he'd think if he knew this. Would he care? Maybe not.