Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2019, 12:05 PM   #21
DLev24
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 106
Default Re: What is a hook and do I need one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
Agreed. With that one sentence I want to read the whole thing.

The other thing, as a rep, they'll think "I can sell this without even reading it." And that might be exactly what they do. Something to consider: If a rep can sell your script without reading it, you've definitely got a HOOK.
Great point. I can't count the number of times I've pitched an idea that I'm excited about to my reps, to which they respond in some variation of "We know you could write the **** out of this, but we're not sure how to get people excited to read it." It's always a little heartbreaking.

Because of this, I feel like I've become conditioned to come up with a hook. I may be excited about something completely unrelated within the story, but I won't bring the idea to my reps until I've cracked whatever the element is that will get them as excited as me -- and it's most likely not the same element. Don't get me wrong, I get excited when I come up with a great hook -- but that excitement comes from the producer voice in my brain, not the writer voice.

I found this really frustrating at first but I know in the end it's a good thing. The goal is to sell the damn thing and people wanting to read it is a pretty big first step.
DLev24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:20 PM   #22
GucciGhostXXX
Member
 
GucciGhostXXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,281
Default Re: What is a hook and do I need one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLev24 View Post
Great point. I can't count the number of times I've pitched an idea that I'm excited about to my reps, to which they respond in some variation of "We know you could write the **** out of this, but we're not sure how to get people excited to read it." It's always a little heartbreaking.

Because of this, I feel like I've become conditioned to come up with a hook. I may be excited about something completely unrelated within the story, but I won't bring the idea to my reps until I've cracked whatever the element is that will get them as excited as me -- and it's most likely not the same element. Don't get me wrong, I get excited when I come up with a great hook -- but that excitement comes from the producer voice in my brain, not the writer voice.

I found this really frustrating at first but I know in the end it's a good thing. The goal is to sell the damn thing and people wanting to read it is a pretty big first step.
Totally agreed! I had to recondition the way I look at concept as well.
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:20 PM   #23
Julysses
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 47
Default Re: What is a hook and do I need one?

the hook is part of the song that's repeated over and over again because they are too lazy to write lyrics
Julysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #24
GucciGhostXXX
Member
 
GucciGhostXXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,281
Default Re: What is a hook and do I need one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julysses View Post
the hook is part of the song that's repeated over and over again because they are too lazy to write lyrics
Ha! Azzholes!
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:38 PM   #25
bioprofessor
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,435
Default Re: What is a hook and do I need one?

For me, a hook is a relatable irony that you can build a story around.

No hook: An Iraq war veteran competes in a dance contest.
Hook: An Iraq war veteran who lost both legs to an IED competes in a dance contest..
bioprofessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:19 PM   #26
GucciGhostXXX
Member
 
GucciGhostXXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,281
Default Re: What is a hook and do I need one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioprofessor View Post
For me, a hook is a relatable irony that you can build a story around.

No hook: An Iraq war veteran competes in a dance contest.
Hook: An Iraq war veteran who lost both legs to an IED competes in a dance contest..
Yup! That!

What makes us go "Ahh... no sh!t??" = HOOK.
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:30 AM   #27
Julysses
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 47
Default Re: What is a hook and do I need one?

so this isn't trailer moments where you have the most extreme, usually early 2nd Act moments, that demonstrate theme, but don't push the plot forward?

seems like if you took the introduction of the theme, like the first few pages, then reiteration of it more in act two with these over the top scenes...

in Basic Instinct, Joe introduces a dead rockstar and lavish lifestyle of the rich socialites and intrigued detective...

then into the 2nd act where Joe explores themes about normal people wishing they were part of the lavish lifestyle of the rich and how they'll turn a blind eye to crime ... there's also, the interrogation scene
Julysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:03 AM   #28
lostfootage
Regular
 
lostfootage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 432
Default Re: What is a hook and do I need one?

HOT TUB TIME MACHINE. Hahaha! Seriously, I watched that one just from the title.

I like the comment -- whoever said it, Gucci? That's it's the pitch, the premise.

BTW, I recently read an early draft of LIAR, LIAR and that thing sings on every page. What a great script.
lostfootage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:09 PM   #29
GucciGhostXXX
Member
 
GucciGhostXXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,281
Default Re: What is a hook and do I need one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostfootage View Post
HOT TUB TIME MACHINE. Hahaha! Seriously, I watched that one just from the title.

I like the comment -- whoever said it, Gucci? That's it's the pitch, the premise.

BTW, I recently read an early draft of LIAR, LIAR and that thing sings on every page. What a great script.
Ha! Agreed.

If someone sent me this email...

"Genre: Comedy

Title: HOT TUB TIME MACHINE"

DONE! I'm reading it. Send it.
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker