No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Double Query"

Good morning everyone,

I know this topic has been discussed in the past, but I'm wondering if things have changed.

Since my rep quit the business, I'm hustling to get my projects "out there." That said, what is your current take on querying two projects, at once?

For example, one of my projects is a thriller and yes, I've done my due diligence in researching producers, etc. who are in that realm, but the question is, after developing a full slate of thrillers, are they going to be open to yet another? Seems like a bit of crap shoot.

So I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts on this, and also hearing from people who were successful with the "double query." And if so, how did you execute it? Not looking for you to disclose any "secrets," just a generalized take.

Thanks very much, guys.

Re: The "Double Query"

I would send my normal query 100% as is, then add a PS with something like:

I know this might not be your normal cup of tea, but I also thought you might consider TITLE OF MOVIE: LOGLINE.

Let me know if either of these projects are of any interest to you, and again thanks for the time and consideration.
    Eric
    www.scriptreadguaranteed.com

Comment

That sounds reasonable. Thank you, Harbak.

Comment

A P.S. is reasonable, but can you be sure they'd even read all the way down to it? Then you'd not know if the recipient saw this valuable information, and you'd worry about having to reiterate it then or later. Personally, I hate when that kind of doubt creeps into my querying process.

I've received replies to suggest they stopped reading after the logline and didn't even get into the body of the query. Last year, a producer asked among other things what my story's "theme" was, when I used that exact word and discussed it further down in the query. I had a similar experience on InkTip just two weeks ago. I know these people are busy, but still.

Well, in your case you could send two separate emails to one contact, but that might be pushing your luck. When I have two pitches that are relevant to one company, I hold off 2-3 weeks, to let things settle.

I will add, however, that a great time to follow-up is when... they've followed up with a nice pass. Hit them up then, with lots of niceness in return! I think I've never failed to get a quick second response.

Of course, if they asked for a read on pitch #1, skip the second altogether... for now.

Secondly, you can ping two different contacts in the same company, but there's a good likelihood that their staff share this kind of info. Pitching the same script to two different folks in the same company is stupid, unless several months separates the two emails and you've tweaked the pitch somewhat.

But even simultaneous pitches for two different scripts might raise alarm bells.

However, the worst they're going to do in the latter case is probably ... nothing. Unless you're paranoid about these nefarious industry blacklists out there (not Franklin's thing).

If they're as busy as they claim, they probably won't even bother to respond with crankiness, though it has happened to me once or twice even though my pitches were weeks or months apart.

G'luck.

P.S. I've never pitched two scripts in one email except for a few franchises I've written (a trilogy, a 5-parter, etc.).

Comment

You're right about them possibly not reading to the end, catcon.

I'm thinking something like this:

Hello Name,

I'm a produced screenwriter with two very different projects that I believe, based on your varied slate, would be perfect for (prodco).

Then just include the loglines and get out.

I'm thinking of this as an experiment. Any and all thoughts welcome.

Thanks.

Comment

If your logs don't require any essential supplementary query content, and are so outstanding that they invite an immediate and eager response from the recipient producer with quavering and perspiring fingers, I say... (no "thumb's up" smilie here)

Comment

I concur with just about everything with what Catcon has posted based on own experience. I've tried the P.S. route in the past and the few responses indicated to me that they never read that far down.

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
                A P.S. is reasonable, but can you be sure they'd even read all the way down to it? Then you'd not know if the recipient saw this valuable information, and you'd worry about having to reiterate it then or later. Personally, I hate when that kind of doubt creeps into my querying process.

I've received replies to suggest they stopped reading after the logline and didn't even get into the body of the query. Last year, a producer asked among other things what my story's "theme" was, when I used that exact word and discussed it further down in the query. I had a similar experience on InkTip just two weeks ago. I know these people are busy, but still.

Well, in your case you could send two separate emails to one contact, but that might be pushing your luck. When I have two pitches that are relevant to one company, I hold off 2-3 weeks, to let things settle.

I will add, however, that a great time to follow-up is when... they've followed up with a nice pass. Hit them up then, with lots of niceness in return! I think I've never failed to get a quick second response.

Of course, if they asked for a read on pitch #1, skip the second altogether... for now.

Secondly, you can ping two different contacts in the same company, but there's a good likelihood that their staff share this kind of info. Pitching the same script to two different folks in the same company is stupid, unless several months separates the two emails and you've tweaked the pitch somewhat.

But even simultaneous pitches for two different scripts might raise alarm bells.

However, the worst they're going to do in the latter case is probably ... nothing. Unless you're paranoid about these nefarious industry blacklists out there (not Franklin's thing).

If they're as busy as they claim, they probably won't even bother to respond with crankiness, though it has happened to me once or twice even though my pitches were weeks or months apart.

G'luck.

P.S. I've never pitched two scripts in one email except for a few franchises I've written (a trilogy, a 5-parter, etc.).
                Cat -- I'm sure I've done more than my share of stupid things during this "journey." ;-) Good luck to you, too.

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
                  If your logs don't require any essential supplementary query content, and are so outstanding that they invite an immediate and eager response from the recipient producer with quavering and perspiring fingers, I say... (no "thumb's up" smilie here)
                  What a ride, eh?

Yeah, I actually do like to supplement with some sparkling prose, but I don't know -- just trying something new, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
                    You're right about them possibly not reading to the end, catcon.

I'm thinking something like this:

Hello Name,

I'm a produced screenwriter with two very different projects that I believe, based on your varied slate, would be perfect for (prodco).

Then just include the loglines and get out.

I'm thinking of this as an experiment. Any and all thoughts welcome.

Thanks.
                    I think this is a good approach.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                      I think this is a good approach.
                      Thank you, Jeff.

Comment

Working...
                      X