Have you ever asked your manager to hire you?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever asked your manager to hire you?

This may be a strange question, but I wrote a script and am waiting for feedback from my manager. I really think it could sell because it's something that hasn't been done yet. When I pitched him the idea at the beginning of the year he loved it.

The problem is I sent him the script 2 months ago and he hasn't gotten around to reading because he's slammed with being the EP on a new series.

I would loooove to write on the series. He's been a great manager thus far and recently got me my first producer credit. I'm just not sure if offering myself as a writer on this project would be seen as tacky/strange/what-the-hell/good idea...

Any experiences? Suggestions?

Re: Have you ever asked your manager to hire you?

Respectfully, if my manager took two months to read something I'd written, I'd be out the door.

Comment

DISCLAIMER: I am not a professional screenwriter.

Speaking as one experienced in life, I will offer the following advice.

It is possible to bring something up without being pushy. For example:

"I know you're busy. Have you had a chance to look at my script?... Hey, that series that you have ... Do you think it's something that I could help with, or do you think it's not really my kind of thing?"

I don't think it is ever out of line to broach a subject, diplomatically, if you know the person well to whom you are speaking. And at this point I do not think that you should be worried about offending him.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Hey friend,

If this guy is taking two months to read your script, he's not really your manager. And his "I'm slammed being a non-writing EP from a management-production company" excuse is, uh, not true.

He also can't hire you for this show; at best, he can send the showrunner your sample... but if he cares about you so little that it takes him two months to read your script, I can 99.99% guarantee he won't push for you hard enough to get you on staff.

I know it's scary to fire to reps, but my guess is that your career will move a lot faster without this guy than with him.

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
          Hey friend,

If this guy is taking two months to read your script, he's not really your manager. And his "I'm slammed being a non-writing EP from a management-production company" excuse is, uh, not true.

He also can't hire you for this show; at best, he can send the showrunner your sample... but if he cares about you so little that it takes him two months to read your script, I can 99.99% guarantee he won't push for you hard enough to get you on staff.

I know it's scary to fire to reps, but my guess is that your career will move a lot faster without this guy than with him.
          I'll have to agree. Is he a manager or a producer? If he takes 2 months to read a script he says he's excited about from a client? He's a producer. And if he hasn't bought up you writing for his show already, I doubt it's a possibility. That said, since he sucks what have you got to lose by asking? Oh... and I understand needing a manager, but damn...

Comment

We're seeing this more and more with managers - they've always not-so-secretly wanted to be producers on their clients' movies, but they're DYING to EP their clients' TV shows and get that producing fee over and over and over...
            https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
            http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Working...
            X