No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing an action sequence to fit time

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help with this one. I am aware that for the contests then scripts need to be about 110 pages long representing generally 1 minute per page.

However, how does this work with action. I watched a film today where the action took about a minute and all that happened was a one guy struggled to put a bandage on and the other grabbed a snack. They both then collapsed into their chairs.

This action took 1 minute but writing it could never take one page unless you added loads of pointless description. You could simply describe it in about four lines.

So, how do you write a piece of action that on screen will take a minute but trying to stick to the 1 page per 1 minute general rule?

Thanks

Jab

Re: Writing an action sequence to fit time.

Don't worry about it the formula. It's just a guideline. They're just trying to pre-empt the 250 page scripts from being entered, since they have thousands of scripts to be read. Consider their "range" as more appropriate: 85 to 120, or whatever they say.

There was an hour forty-five feature, "All is Lost" with Robert Redford, that I think had a script only 37 pages long. Almost no dialogue; all action.

I have a script that, well, is just a kid's/family story anyway, but it's only 60 pages long. I still call it a feature though, because there are a few MONTAGES that, in the hands of a skillful director/cinematographer/editor team, could make it 75 minutes long. Just right for taking the kids out on a Sat. afternoon.

And if there's action that takes a minute to be seen, but can be written in one 4-line paragraph, that'll be some paragraph of action verbs. I look forward to reading it someday!

Comment

Re: Writing an action sequence to fit time

The page per minute rule is not an exact measure. Just an approximation. It can be longer or shorter when it manifests itself in production depending on the director and editor.

I'm not really sure the purpose of your question beyond that. Do you need something to happen on-screen in the span of a minute in real time?

I suppose you could write something like:

READER'S NOTE: The following sequence happens in the span of exactly one minute.

Even then, unless you're the director, I'm not exactly sure it's your problem, and whoever is directing or editing it would likely disregard that note if it didn't fit their vision.

Comment

First, as others have noted, don't worry about this. Write the key elements that need to happen to make the scene work and propel the story forward. From there, just let the director and actors take care of the rest. The first big feature I worked on had quite a few musical numbers. All that could really be noted was, "Mary" sings "A Fun Song" and maybe a few key story beats were noted that needed to take place during the performance/scene -- backstage bits, audience reactions & interactions, etc.. Though in the movie the song or the performance would be a couple of minutes along at least, the studio never really worried about that. They were more concerned about the overall cost.

Also, before films go into production, especially if they are a film of any decent size budget, the producers will (usually) hire a script supervisor who will time the script out any way. This always gives production a bit better idea of where the final run time will hit. Even then so much can change in post.

Second, what film was it and can you slightly better describe the scene? Mainly, what was the film?
        Will
        Done Deal Pro
        www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
          First, as others have noted, don't worry about this. Write the key elements that need to happen to make the scene work and propel the story forward. From there, just let the director and actors take care of the rest. The first big feature I worked on had quite a few musical numbers. All that could really be noted was, "Mary" sings "A Fun Song" and maybe a few key story beats were noted that needed to take place during the performance/scene -- backstage bits, audience reactions & interactions, etc.. Though in the movie the song or the performance would be a couple of minutes along at least, the studio never really worried about that. They were more concerned about the overall cost.

Also, before films go into production, especially if they are a film of any decent size budget, the producers will (usually) hire a script supervisor who will time the script out any way. This always gives production a bit better idea of where the final run time will hit. Even then so much can change in post.

Second, what film was it and can you slightly better describe the scene? Mainly, what was the film?

It was Extraction with Chris Hemsworth.

Comment

Originally posted by Jab2019 View Post
            It was Extraction with Chris Hemsworth.
            Ah. Okay. I just checked a draft of that script, but I don't see that scene in there. The draft is from about three years ago so it very well might have changed during rewrites/polishes or during the shoot. I was hoping to be able to share that scene from the script with so you could compare.

But again, as noted above, don't worry too much about it. Give enough description to hit key moments and points, particularly if you need to indicate & suggest the scene takes place longer than say, two punches, for example. Otherwise the time shouldn't affect any decisions. Just do your best and make that scene & the script overall a good read.
            Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 05-01-2020, 10:06 AM.
            Will
            Done Deal Pro
            www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Thanks Guys,

I appreciate all your comments and assistance in this. I won't worry about the time when it comes to writing these bits. I will write the important actions and any info needed.

Many Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X