Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle: Los Angeles Opening Weekend

Ho much everyone think Battle: Los Angeles is going to open to this weekend? I'm thinking 40 to 45 mil. I read the review on Comingsoon.net, it seems the movie has the script problems people talked about on here.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/reviewsnews.php?id=74998

Re: Battle: Los Angeles Opening Weekend

this is a hard one for me to guess. seems like people that are most excited about it are people online. i've seen a bunch of twitter and facebook status and comments more along the lines of "another alien invasion movie...really?"

i'll probably check it out, but it's not like i have my calendar marked or anything.
    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Trailers with basically no dialogue featured usually turn out to be really good films.

Comment

I'm seeing it. It will be my first trip to theatre since GREEN HORNET (I watch a lot of DVD/Netflix).
        "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

I gotta go see this one.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

ebert slammed the hell out of this movie: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...IEWS/110309992

i havent seen any reason to rush out and see this yet....
            "Making movies is a collaborative process...bend over."

Comment

The hell with Ebert. He's never understood good action.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Originally posted by Dock View Post
                ebert slammed the hell out of this movie: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...IEWS/110309992
                I found that last paragraph strangely sexist.

Comment

I'm not really worried about the script for this film. I just want to see some awesome action scenes.

But, I think it will perform strongly as, IMHO, the first big blockbluster of the year and should exceed $50m. The hype is here in Australia for the release next week.

I'm excited.

Comment

Yea I can see $50 mill opening weekend....ain't no other competition. If it sucks then the following week will have about a 60% decrease. I'll probably see it for the hell of it...
                    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

For Ebert's review linked above --

This made me LOL:

They seem to be animal/machine hybrids with automatic weapons growing from their arms, which must make it hard to change the baby.
                      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by Dock View Post

i havent seen any reason to rush out and see this yet....
                        Don't forget though - Ebert is also WAY past his used by date.

I know it's his job to critique films, but why slam a film that's clearly not designed to cater to his demographic. I'm sure going in he already knows this wouldn't be his cup of tea, so why come out and slam it?

This is the very reason why I hate the majority of film critics, and think most of them are just failed film makers with a grudge against the industry and huge chips on their shoulders. Not all of them - but a lot of them. It seems like a lot of them forget they're watching something designed to be entertaining for a global audience. You know, not every film needs to say something deep about the human condition - other than, "let's kick some alien scumbag ass." Sometimes that's all an audience wants out of a movie. Why is that so hard to understand for goons like Ebert?

I don't think this film was ever trying to reinvent the alien invasion genre. I think they were simply trying to make an entertaining, kick-ass war movie, within the confines of your typical alien invasion movie.

Why is that such a vile thing to Ebert?

I know he's been in the biz for years, but why listen to one man's stunted opinion? Go watch it, make your own mind up.
                        @TerranceMulloy

Comment

i agree. i just saw him post the link on twitter and i clicked on it. he didn't make me not want to see it, but he took a film i was already shaky about and made me debate even more about seeing it in the movies.

i think for me it'd have to be a netflix thing unless a bunch of people on this board start talking about how awesome it was and why it was awesome. the trailer just didn't bring anything new to the table for me. if there's some big twist in there or new spin on the aliens and how they attack then it wasn't hinted at in the trailers i saw. i like good action movies, but i hate coming out of a movie thinking "sh^% i shoulda waited for this to come on TV" man i LOATHE that feeling....so for this one, if word of mouth is good then i'm in....but they didn't sell it to me on this one. just looked like a bunch of stuff blowing up....and I'm already slated to see transformers 3 for that type of entertainment (i know everybody here hates Transformers but hey at least i know what I'm going to get and that the special FX will be off the hook)

Comment

yea michael bay is not trying to make anything more than popcorn films and with his trailers what you see is what you get which is why it's an easy choice. you either see it or you don't. i'm looking at his films purely from a technical standpoint and for the fx. i really dont care about the story that much in his films as long as it's decent....but every popcorn film isn't directed by michael bay, so sometimes what you see in the trailer is...well...worse.

Comment

I thought the Ebert review was funny. I take his opinion under consideration along with other reviews and comments. So far, Rotten Tomatoes has it at 36% based on 70 reviews, and even the quote "positive" reviews are not very positive.

I was really hoping this would be a cut above the typical genre, but it sounds like it's a cut below.

I bet the box office is big though.
                              "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
                              X