Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Battle: Los Angeles Opening Weekend

I saw it. Going to write detailed thoughts when I wake up. I'll say this. If you could get a ZACK SNYDER or some other big name visual director. I think if there are SEQUELS to this movie. This could be a big franchise. because this movie did a great job of setting up the world. It just needs a NEIL BLOMKAMP, ZACK SNYDER or a director at that level.

And of course they need much better characters written. But the potential for a franchise is there.

Comment

I just saw it with a friend. Let me quote her... "That was the most boring Sh!t I have ever seen. It was the worst movie, EVER."

While I wouldn't call it the worst ever, that is probably:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055946/

Which Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, forced me to watch last night.

Battle L.A. had some nice action scenes. But that is one of the problems. We just got the POV of the Marines who were uninteresting and you could barely tell them apart from each other, as someone above had mentioned. The camera moving around did not do the story (if you can call it a story) any favors. The problem (INHO) with this movie and Cloverfield, is that the people we are following just are not interesting enough to carry a whole movie.

I know that is one of the devices of these types of movies. That we don't know what is happening outside of our core group. In theory, we should feel empathy for our group and fear if they should live or die. In this movie, I could care less. I just wanted to know more about the Aliens.

Not the most horrible, but not that good either.
      Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

i decided to not see this during this weekend after hearing how "whatever" it was....i will have to check it next weekend during a matinee or something. i've yet to hear anybody say it was awesome yet though.
        One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

maybe im missing something... i thought the main character is well thought out... i found the minor characters also really interesting. they all had some unique situations going on in their lives.

comparing this movie to War of the Worlds, which got positive reviews from critics, i thought this movie was much better.

Comment

I wasn't expecting much but have to say I enjoyed it. It was much better developed than the draft dated March '08. Nice to see Bertolini was kept on board to refine his vision. It's not a world beater, and I still had some problems with it, but all in all, I had fun, and that's what I wanted.
            "Anything can be taken apart. You just have to know where to find the screws."

Comment

The constant music made me laugh.

Comment

I enjoyed it (and it did well at the BO after all)

Wrote a (fairly) detailed review: http://seanryanmovies.blogspot.com/2...11-review.html
                Writing bio: http://seanryanmovies.blogspot.ie/2012/09/my-bio.html

Comment

Yea it should make it's money back. I was gonna go check it out just for GP this weekend. I'll hold out for netflix instead.
                  "Making movies is a collaborative process...bend over."

Comment

A Marine response to Battle:LA

http://terminallance.com/2011/03/15/...113-battle-la/
                    Looking to take the "Bono" off my screenname.

Comment

I enjoyed the hell out of this. Seriously.

On the very first super imposed over a character's name, I groaned 'this is gonna suck' and turned the brain off. If you want deep story and deep character or sharp banter, this isn't the flick. There's not a single thing done 'right' in terms of proper screenplay form and the shaky-cams and dark filming techniques really pissed me off at first but...

...the whole thing is one big firefight, and that was cool. Taking the POV of the Marines on the ground really worked for me. No big preachy politicians or top-brass trying to save humanity. It's
                      grunt work-the Marines were never supposed to be too smart or insightful. We found out what they did as they discovered it, they made mistakes, the aliens were smarter at times (they lured the overconfident Marines into ambushes, took the high vantage points, used the elements of surprise, etc). This isn't winning awards or going on anyone's '100 best' list, but the furious pace and action really does hold and entertain.

Comment

Oy this is a terrible movie. Usually I can just relax and enjoy a film like this for what it is, but I couldn't this time. I won't go into characters or dialogue or pointless story/plot that is talked about above, but I will add this: the fight scenes were all dumb. A bunch of guys hunkering down and shooting in every direction and getting shot at from every direction by aliens dancing back and forth like tin rabbits at a carnival. I can't enjoy a good fight if there's no clear direction or goal. It just looked like random ****. Is that an artistic choice or an amateur choice? Guess it doesn't matter. Hated this movie.
                        Screenwriting is like stripping. You don't just dump your clothes on the floor. You tease as you go. And then you get screwed in a back room for money. - Craig Mazin

Comment

Originally posted by Pipe View Post
                          Oy this is a terrible movie. Usually I can just relax and enjoy a film like this for what it is, but I couldn't this time. I won't go into characters or dialogue or pointless story/plot that is talked about above, but I will add this: the fight scenes were all dumb. A bunch of guys hunkering down and shooting in every direction and getting shot at from every direction by aliens dancing back and forth like tin rabbits at a carnival. I can't enjoy a good fight if there's no clear direction or goal. It just looked like random ****. Is that an artistic choice or an amateur choice? Guess it doesn't matter. Hated this movie.
                          I think, and I'm totally guessing here, it was meant to be aimless on purpose. Like they were trying to mirror real combat situations - panic, madness, fear, outnumbered by an elusive enemy, etc. At least that's how I saw it. Their main goal from what I remember was to evac civilians to that army base.

As someone mentioned earlier, the film was basically a 2-hour long combat sequence.
                          @TerranceMulloy

Comment

I liked it a lot. I found it emotionally charged and incredibly cathartic.

Comment

I suppose I could go back and remind myself of what I said about it earlier in this thread...but I think that pretty much sums it up right there.

One of those Oh-yeah-I-saw-that movies, but no lasting power. Haven't thought about it since right after I saw it.
                              "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

if we ever get invaded by ETs; this movie should be required viewing. it'd be an awesome recruitment video.

i dont get why it didnt get better reviews.

tons of fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X