Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #41
Captain Jack Sparrow

Default Re: Battle: Los Angeles Opening Weekend

Just saw it and hmmm... 5/10, it's not as bad as Ebert makes out, but then it's not the belle of the ball either.

It's like they took a shakey-cam(TM) and stuck a 600mm lens on the front to make it extra shakey. The horizon was bobbing up and down like the camera was attached to a yo-yo on a sailboat during a force 10 hurricane.

And the dialogue, seriously, if a Syfy channel film had a 100 million dollar budget this is pretty much what it would look like. Cringeworthy stuff. Aaron Eckhart tried his best and almost pulls it off but no one can get away with lines like those with a straight face.

Some of the action was neat though and I like the concept, it's hard to totally blow the concept, especially with all that cash.

But it just didn't have enough wow factor to it. Not enough iconic images. All a bit conventional. If it's Blackhawk Down meets Aliens, then they went a bit too far in the Blackhawk Down direction. The Aliens were about as Alien as in Halo 2, and seriously, seriously dumb.
Captain Jack Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #42
Juno Styles

so how would you rate the special fx overall? sounds like you're saying what i've been reading about the aliens not really being all that.

The Fiction Story Room
Juno Styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #43
Captain Jack Sparrow

The effects were by and large fine, the aliens are a bit silly looking, not exactly scary, but the ships and alike were effective enough.
Captain Jack Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #44
cshel

Post Re: Battle: Los Angeles Opening Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily blake View Post
We're going to see The Adjustment Bureau.
Fun choice. Ebert liked it. Not that I care what he says!!!
Old 03-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #45
cshel

Post Re: Battle: Los Angeles Opening Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
If anyone were making superficial, flippant judgments about a film none of us have actually seen (something this board revels in at times), sure, Battle: LA could be sneerily dismissed as just another cash-in upon the alien jittercam success of District 9. But as the trailers and online features suggest, Liebsman is out to bring us war movie cajones and make a spectacle of ginormous ET's blowing the bejeepers out of LA La Land.

In a word: bringiton.
Based on your strong reaction to the criticism, it seems like you have invested your own money in this film. Don't worry, it will probably be a big hit at the box office. Extrapolating out from those on this board that like to bash L.A., I'd bet people will line up in droves just to see it get obliterated.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #46
Laura Reyna

Tried reading the screenplay twice. Don't think I got past the 3rd pg. Couldn't understand who was who & what they were doing.

Will rent the DVD for the hubby who has a higher tolerance for guns & aliens.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )
Laura Reyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #47
Signal30

Quote:
Don't forget though - Ebert is also WAY past his used by date.

I know it's his job to critique films, but why slam a film that's clearly not designed to cater to his demographic. I'm sure going in he already knows this wouldn't be his cup of tea, so why come out and slam it?

This is the very reason why I hate the majority of film critics, and think most of them are just failed film makers with a grudge against the industry and huge chips on their shoulders. Not all of them - but a lot of them. It seems like a lot of them forget they're watching something designed to be entertaining for a global audience. You know, not every film needs to say something deep about the human condition - other than, "let's kick some alien scumbag ass." Sometimes that's all an audience wants out of a movie. Why is that so hard to understand for goons like Ebert?

I don't think this film was ever trying to reinvent the alien invasion genre. I think they were simply trying to make an entertaining, kick-ass war movie, within the confines of your typical alien invasion movie.

Why is that such a vile thing to Ebert?

I know he's been in the biz for years, but why listen to one man's stunted opinion? Go watch it, make your own mind up.
FWIW, Ebert wrote Beyond the Valley of the Dolls with Russ Meyer. I've been reading the man for years, and a lot of times I don't agree with him, but I seriously doubt the man is biased against trash film. I just get the vibe he gets frustrated when a trash film doesn't even measure up to its modest ambition.

That said, from the trailers I get the impression that this is one of those films that hits the ground running and doesn't let up until the end credits. Which when in the zone, rocks my world. But if it's not firing on all cylinders it makes for some tedious time spent wasted watching visual white noise.

I'm getting more Skyline than War of the Worlds here. Not to mention that I am well and truly bored at what passes for alien design today. Too cluttered, like the spaceships were assembled at a wrecking yard.

My YouTube channel.
Signal30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #48
Terrance Mulloy

Here's a review snippet from a film fan website. Now I can stomach this a lot more than Ebert purely because these guys really do get what the film is trying to acheive - despite its flaws.

Quote:

"Battle: Los Angeles is smart enough to know it's not that smart. It doesn't try to be too many steps ahead of its audience and for good reason. This isn't about intricately detailed plot journeys or ideologies grander than a sidewalk puddle.

This is about full-force destruction and blowing stuff up. It's about being loud, exciting, and looking great while achieving both of those things, and that is precisely where Battle: Los Angeles succeeds. Or should I say, "tears it up?" You should never check your brain at the door. That's not what this preamble is about, but certain movies blast their way onto your eyeballs with such a fury that you almost forgive the plot holes, lame dialogue, and weak character development, all of which are on hand here.

The film itself is a grunt. It has a job to do. It sets out to do that job, and it succeeds using maximum brutal force. The goal at hand here is to entertain, to give audiences two hours of exhilaration, to feed the video game appetites of action-craving masses. Where the film falters in story it all but makes up for in execution and design. Battle: Los Angeles is alien-blasting good fun, and that's all it claims to be. Had it set out for something greater and failed, no amount of aggressiveness or intensity could have saved it from backlash, but it's a good little soldier, and like a good little soldier it does its job exceedingly well."
Old 03-12-2011, 01:56 AM   #49
tuukka

Quote:
Here's a review snippet from a film fan website. Now I can stomach this a lot more than Ebert purely because these guys really do get what the film is trying to acheive - despite its flaws.
I don't really see what's your problem with Ebert's review. Ebert knows what the film tries to achieve, but he simply thinks it fails. For example:

1. The film is supposed to be a SFX spectacle, but the SFX designs are consistently bad and even technically clumsy sometimes.

2. It's supposed to be a visual spectacle, but it looks visually ugly.

3. It's supposed to be a serious alien invasion movie, but the aliens are more amusing than threatening.

4. It's supposed to be an action movie, but it has weak action sequences.

...I haven't seen the movie yet myself, but the points Ebert brings up are fundamentally important in a film like this. Audiences see a film like this because they want to see action and visual spectacle. And the whole point of Ebert's review is that the film fails in delivering good action and good visual spectacle.

If that is not important, then what exactly is important?
tuukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:04 AM   #50
Terrance Mulloy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuukka View Post
I don't really see what's your problem with Ebert's review.
Eh, don't mind me. I'm on a diet and have been grumpy/passive aggressive all week. However Ebert did have it coming.