Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing HBO style/Breaking Bad style Pilot script

I've got an idea for a TV series along this line of things. My question is, it seems that the creators of these shows stay on as the showrunners generally and develop the rest of the episodes/seasons. Is this how this tends to do with TV or will a new writer be offered a deal on the pilot to then bow out and let someone else take over? Is there a standard for this to expect or can anyone give me some info on this?

Re: Writing HBO style/Breaking bad style Pilot script

Younger/newer writers are usually going to get the creator credit (and maybe a Co-EP credit or whatever is made in the deal) but they likely aren't going to make them a showrunner. If you're not kicked off then you'll likely stay on as a writer but probably aren't calling the shots. Showrunners just deal with so much more than writing. They deal with studios, networks, casting, production, etc. And they're literally handling a multimillion dollar business in a sense, and that takes experience.

I've heard stories where the original writer is kicked off and that's that, but you never know how a scenario will go down until it does because every show/case is different.
    Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Right. Gotcha. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
        Younger/newer writers are usually going to get the creator credit (and maybe a Co-EP credit or whatever is made in the deal) but they likely aren't going to make them a showrunner. If you're not kicked off then you'll likely stay on as a writer but probably aren't calling the shots. Showrunners just deal with so much more than writing. They deal with studios, networks, casting, production, etc. And they're literally handling a multimillion dollar business in a sense, and that takes experience.

I've heard stories where the original writer is kicked off and that's that, but you never know how a scenario will go down until it does because every show/case is different.
        What can you do to protect yourself from getting fired? Or better yet, how do you ensure you're relevant to the series enough for them to keep you?

You're saying, if you're the show creator (knowing you don't want to be a showrunner yet or couldn't possibly anyway), you may not be on staff? Can't that be negotiated into your contract? Some kind of first season guarantee?
        Last edited by finalact4; 07-15-2015, 06:51 PM.
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

My reps are negotiating a deal right now. The producers wanna bring in an established showrunner (as expected) but are keen for me to stay involved in the show. My agents are negotiating how many eps I'll be locked in to write. I've also got an EP credit, consultancy fees, creator credit etc etc and since I'm based in the UK there's other little things in the deal like me being set up with a place to stay during my time in LA and so forth. Guess it all boils down to how much the folks buying, want you and your project.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
            What can you do to protect yourself from getting fired? Or better yet, how do you ensure you're relevant to the series enough for them to keep you?

You're saying, if you're the show creator (knowing you don't want to be a showrunner yet or couldn't possibly anyway), you may not be on staff? Can't that be negotiated into your contract? Some kind of first season guarantee?
            You'll still be considered "Creator" and get those credits. I think you can negotiate pretty much any of that into your contract about staying on staff and such or other credits.

Though if it's a high profile showrunner that you don't click with and if your contract says you have to be hired onto staff, they may just say, "Fire him and pay him to stay home" -- I doubt it could specifically say "They must be in the writing offices every day". Shows are such a large beast that they're likely to fold for one person -- especially a newbie creator.

I've seen creator/showrunner differences and ultimately the creator falling off to do other things. It just happens.
            Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

just for the record - "Creator" is a title awarded by the WGA based on the written work used in a pilot that has been ordered to series. That's in the MBA.

So "creator" is not something that can be negotiated with a WGA signatory.

Usually, newbies will get a co-ep or ep credit which will also be the job going to series.

If you're going to get taken off the show, it'll usually happen before the pilot gets shot, and might speak to significant changes being made to the pilot.

Though, there are times when creative differences surface when breaking the series, which lead to a rift.

Comment

Originally posted by jimjimgrande View Post

Though, there are times when creative differences surface when breaking the series, which lead to a rift.
                This happened on the show I'm on.

Creator was smart enough to make it in his contract where he's non-exclusive to this show and has already created another and got it greenlit.

$#!t happens
                Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
                  This happened on the show I'm on.

Creator was smart enough to make it in his contract where he's non-exclusive to this show and has already created another and got it greenlit.

$#!t happens
                  Does this have to do with being able to write on other shows/projects while on staff? The no-exclusive part.
                  "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Unless you're showrunning multiple shows, you only work on one staff at a time. Being nonexclusive is moreso to donwith developing other projects outside the studio and network that has the show you work on. Usually when you're on staff they expect you to be 100% dedicated to the show and you're not allowed to work on other TV stuff. The exception is if you have an overall deal at a studio, then you are probably working on something else for that studio on the side.

It's usually only stuff upper level or established writers are dealing with. Probably not a problem a baby writer or newcomer would have to worry about.
                    Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I've been reading Chad Gervich's Small Screen, Big Picture and it's really good. Would recommend to anyone who doesn't know much about TV. I had no idea it was so structured and complicated. It all makes sense though. All very interesting.

Comment

Is there a co-showrunner type position? I think what he's asking, and what i am also interested in, is if there is a way to maintain creative control over your project to maintain the integrity of the vision rather than just handing over dictatorial control to someone who's going to do something completely different with it. I've also developed my own pilot and i've spent a lot of time developing every detail (down to every ingredient in the food they eat and the clothing and technology) and i want to make sure any alterations are going to be "amendments" or additions to the sacred constitution that is my pitch bible.

Also to the original poster i think you should probably rethink your whole "Breaking Bad style" approach. While its good to write with a certain kind of network in mind, a show is best when it cannot be mistaken for any other show. It ensures it might be influenced by other works, but not derivative. Also personally i do find Breaking Bad to be overrated.

Comment

In my limited experience with TV...

You lose control to the Showrunners. The trick is to go with someone who gets your vision as much as you do. I wouldn't assume they will not. The Showrunners on my last show 'got it.' Not only that, they were advocates for some of my ideas when others shot them down. They said something to the effect of "ignore what they said, we're doing it anyway." A great feeling actually.

Obviously, at some point you're going to disagree with them. I'd rather agree and try to get my show made. After its a hit and you haven't gotten kicked off...then you can begin to position to regain control of your show as the showrunner.

But, brah, it's a collaborative medium. You have to go into it with the mindset of "whoever attaches, it is now OUR show." In fact that's the way you should speak about it in conversation and over email.
                          DOPE CITY

Comment

Originally posted by surftatboy View Post
                            In my limited experience with TV...

You lose control to the Showrunners. The trick is to go with someone who gets your vision as much as you do. I wouldn't assume they will not. The Showrunners on my last show 'got it.' Not only that, they were advocates for some of my ideas when others shot them down. They said something to the effect of "ignore what they said, we're doing it anyway." A great feeling actually.

Obviously, at some point you're going to disagree with them. I'd rather agree and try to get my show made. After its a hit and you haven't gotten kicked off...then you can begin to position to regain control of your show as the showrunner.

But, brah, it's a collaborative medium. You have to go into it with the mindset of "whoever attaches, it is now OUR show." In fact that's the way you should speak about it in conversation and over email.
                            That actually sounds amazing. I would love to have someone to bat for me who can actually contribute artistically.

Comment

Originally posted by flightspace View Post
                              That actually sounds amazing. I would love to have someone to bat for me who can actually contribute artistically.
                              It was a strange experience at first. I was so used to suits telling me "We love it... but heres the laundry list of what's wrong with it." With the showrunners it was "we love it..." No punchline. They wanted to take what I had and make it even more brutal and twisted, which was the opposite of what I've experienced in film [re: tone this and that down.] It was interesting watching the studio defer to them "is it okay if we?" to which they often said "No, it's not okay." To which the studio said "Okay, never mind that note." The studio was afraid of them.
                              DOPE CITY

Comment

Working...
                              X