Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2005, 03:39 PM   #11
John1Paul2

There is nothing wrong with expecting professionalism in this industry. Nothing less is disrespectful. I prefer to respect myself and maybe aim a little higher.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:09 PM   #12
sppeterson

I'm with you on this, John. It's just silly to spend an hour or so reading a script -- or even 10 minutes just reading the first 10 -- then complain you're too busy to take a minute typing out "Thanks, but not for us."
Old 04-10-2005, 12:07 PM   #13
whateveryeah

Default Producer follow up

Not to rain on any parades here, but... I sent ZG at least a half dozen queries in the past and got nearly an identical response each time, sometimes within seconds. Are you certain the request mechanism isn't on autoresponder? This is what I suspect and that they separate the wheat from the chaff later (which is why they want you to reinclude the original draft of your query).
Old 04-10-2005, 01:10 PM   #14
noh1

Default Re: Producer follow up

You should just forget about ZG.

It is irritating to never hear back. I hate it, especially in situations where they're "what else do you have? Oh really? Hey, send it!"
Old 04-10-2005, 03:37 PM   #15
whateveryeah

Default Re: Producer follow up

Quote:
You should just forget about ZG.
:lol

Believe me, I have. Somehow methinks my ultimate style/subject matter isn't to their liking. That's not to say they might not be a fine market for another writer's work...

More irritating than "what else do you have?" is those folks who insist on overnight fed-exed delivery of a hard copy script (or two or three copies of that paper printed script) because they have someone who might be interested that needs to make an immediate decision. Yeah right. Did that expensive baby once, then learned if they want it that badly they can take the PDF by email and print the damn copies themselves.

It really would be a lovely world if all producers and agents/managers who request things could respond in a polite and timely fashion. Sadly, it just ain't so. My experience has been that interested parties respond rather quickly (within one to two weeks). When it's longer than that and I've gotten no response I just chalk it up to experience and assume that place was a pass. There are, after all, a lot of fish in these seas and they all have their individual preferences.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:52 PM   #16
BoonHogganbeck33

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with expecting professionalism in this industry. Nothing less is disrespectful. I prefer to respect myself and maybe aim a little higher.
There is nothing wrong with holding yourself to a higher standard. But if you are expecting people in this industry to conduct themselves with integrity, professionalism and respectfulness - you might find be in for a shock.

If anything, those are things this business lacks most. And, sometimes "legitimate" production companies are the worst offenders. Nothing illegal, per se. But...

You've chosen the path of a writer, lowest on the totem pole as far as above-the-line goes. Prepare to be treated as such. That's one reason writers are clamoring for agents, because at least you will have someone looking out for your best interests. Even so, your best interests are aligned with an agent's best interests, so you are helped by default.