Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
keeone
User

Default Re: Email for Carol Bodie from ICM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfernan View Post
Interesting. Did you hear that from agents and managers? Or execs? Or everyone?
I heard it from several managers, an agent, a production company assistant I pitched to and my industry mentor. The mentor said it is not impossible with a female lead, but it takes much much more persistence and patience to get it made.

When I was ranting about my upset, a professor calmed me down my making note of the fact that he got a project made that was about genocide and certainly no one would have green lit that on a pitch. But, I do want to be conscious of the market while trying to break in. Once in, then I would be more inclined to buck the system!
keeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:18 AM   #12
kidcharlemagne

Even if you are a producer you are likely to get a response of "come back when you have the funding". There are ways round this i.e. you get yourself an established producer who has relationships with agents (and can get reads without the project being fully funded) or who can get a director on board who has relationships with talent with/can attract talent. One can also hire a casting director. The casting director will also want to guard his/her reputation and will look at the script, the credentials of the production team and will want money for going out to cast (this varies on what sort of deal you can negotiate).

In short--focus on finding a producer directly or via a rep then leave it to the producer to attach talent.

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless
kidcharlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:24 AM   #13
kidcharlemagne

Quote:
The one thing you quickly learn is these people, the reps, are just like you & me
Exactly, so look at it from the other angle. If a producer wanted you to write for him/her. Wouldn't you want to know a) If there is any money b) who the producer is and c) what chance the producer has of setting up the project. These are the same thoughts running through a talent agent's head.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:57 AM   #14
WritersBlock2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcharlemagne View Post
Even if you are a producer you are likely to get a response of "come back when you have the funding". There are ways round this i.e. you get yourself an established producer who has relationships with agents (and can get reads without the project being fully funded) or who can get a director on board who has relationships with talent with/can attract talent. One can also hire a casting director. The casting director will also want to guard his/her reputation and will look at the script, the credentials of the production team and will want money for going out to cast (this varies on what sort of deal you can negotiate).

In short--focus on finding a producer directly or via a rep then leave it to the producer to attach talent.
Good advice, KidC

What I find interesting is this method... Querying talent (catch all term; directors, actors, producers) directly... Is becoming a more viable alternative for new writers, IMO. At least, for me.

Meaning, the traditional path for new writers used to be query agents and managers and then the reps take your work out for you. This still happens, of course, and is what a majority of writers lucky enough to make it to this point are doing as evidenced by the number of repped writers here on DD, and at large.

My point, however, is this isn't the only way (there is no right, or wrong way) and with the current spec market on life support... Going directly to talent can sometimes be more beneficial than trying for a rep. As you said, you can work backward & sideways through the system and gain a rep on the referral of a producer, director, etc.

I have specs out now to talent versus agents and managers. I am not even targeting agents, or managers right now and may not in the foreseeable future.

At this point, I would rather be in a position to get things made by dealing directly with those further along in the process who have a more vested interest in whether or not the project geta made like actors, directors, producers, etc.

It's a tough market all around, and there are no guarantees.

But like we are discussing, there are still ways to maneuver in this contracting and ever changing (spec) market that might yield better results as far as getting projects made versus just putting all your eggs in the baskets of agents and reps... A lot of whom are now concentrating on their established clients to generate commissions via assignments, options & sales.

This is just my take and I could be reading things entirely wrong... But I think this is an accurate take given the weak state of the industry right now and my own, personal goals.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #15
kidcharlemagne

Good luck with this approach but you also have to be very careful as to who you attach. If the talent you attach will not attract finance, cannot generate high enough sales figures then your attachment beccomes baggage.

I don't know of any new writers who have managed to attach major talent on their own that has then led to a movie being greenlit but maybe I missed that post.

When you say you have specs out to talent. Are you talking about significant names repped at the big 3 agencies? And the agents have passed the scripts to the clients?

Old 01-25-2010, 10:42 PM   #16
WritersBlock2010

As always, sound advice KC.

As to who I have my work out to, I will just say they are name talent and leave it at that

(By the way, the only reason I mentioned that aspect was not to brag; it's to show this approach can work, all things considered. You have to have moxie and be fearless because you never know where it might lead)
Old 01-26-2010, 03:01 AM   #17
kidcharlemagne

Quote:
You have to have moxie and be fearless because you never know where it might lead
That's a given. It's not really about that. It's whether a new, unrepped writer with no producer or director can attach major talent that will actually trigger financing and on these boards and elsewhere I've never heard of anyone doing this but if you are the first, way to go.