Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #11
Big Bad
User

Default Re: What Prod Co's Actually DO Accept Email Queries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningWorld View Post
You and Nathanq sound like "can't do" people. Those are the ones who give advice when they haven't even tried themselves.
Giving advice sometimes means facing harsh realities. Somebody's gotta say it.
Big Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #12
NikeeGoddess
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1981 View Post
I'm just curious if there's any companies that welcome a cold e-query?
you can join http://www.scriptpimp.com
they have a pretty large database
tell you who will work with new writers
and how they want you to query them
and sometimes what they're looking for
NikeeGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #13
dirtbottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanq View Post
No, this isn't true. Granted some of larger ones may allow you to submit a pitch *through a lawyer* but many biggies will not either way.

Just try to look for small-mid range cos that have done similar projects to yours.
No this isn't true. From personal experience basically every production company in the business of producing movies will accept e-mail queries it's just a matter of having something compelling enough to catch their attention and more importantly getting your e-mail read by the right person. A phone call tends to work better than an e-mail query but ultimately they will read your work if the idea is compelling or you can say, "I've been read by so and so" Of course they may ask you to sign something first and mail that in with your submission but ultimately it's the big agencies and management companies that are the real sticklers about unsolicited queries.

Remember - THEY ARE IN BUSINESS TO FIND MATERIAL.
dirtbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #14
BurningWorld
Regular

Nathan have you actually tried calling Pixar? Or are you just spewing this based on situations you dreamed up, but not actually endured?
BurningWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #15
Rantanplan

I've actually found that production companies can be a lot more civil than agencies. Yeah most times it's total silence, or a note from the legal department, just like it is with most agencies or managers, but I've also received polite "This is not a good match for me but thanks for thinking of me " or "We are booked until 2014" from major HW producers or their assistants, which I think shows a touch of class and which always makes me feel a little bit more like a human being and a little bit less like a virus.
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #16
Rantanplan

Quote:
This old thread might help to answer your questions- http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ighlight=pixar

But, I wouldn't call up Pixar because that would be a waste of everyone's time. Their employees are legally contracted not to look at any unsolicited material, and when was the last time they bought a screenplay on spec? Oh yeah, that was never.
I don't know about Pixar but there are a couple of spec sales to Dreamworks listed on DDP tthat sold without any agent or manager attached, at least according to the listing. One of them actually sold for 3M That probably means that the writer had another way in, like an uncle who works out with Spielberg or something, but you never know.

I think querying prodcos is as valid a method as any other. It's all a crap shoot on some level. Certainly indie companies are more friendly towards queries, and even a few big guys accept queries. It's like everything else, you do your research and you take your chances. Actors with their own companies are also good to target. Very few of them have any real power, but if you write a script that would be a good vehicle for them, and actually get their assistant to read it, you never know. At least they have tons of contacts.

The only downfall is that having a bunch or prodcos read and pass on your script could be a turn-off if and when you sign a rep. But since most just delete the e-mail anyway, it's not big deal and it's worth a shot. The fate of many of us lies on the odd chance that someone somewhere with a bit of power decides to open that e-mail, read the logline and ask for the script...
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:27 PM   #17
dirtbottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningWorld View Post
Nathan have you actually tried calling Pixar? Or are you just spewing this based on situations you dreamed up, but not actually endured?
I guarantee he's never called them.

But IF I were going to contact them here is how I would do it. I wouldn't call the main number like a complete fvcktard. I would pick someone lower ranking but not a secretary say... Ryan Lynch who is a (production coordinator at Pixar at least according to IMDB) Then I would do some research and I would find that she has two alternate e-mails one listed on IMDB ryan@missmottmedia.com and the other listed on her facebook page ryanlynch77@gmail.com and begin to build some sort of relationship with her via that and then mention you were wondering if she would give you some feedback on your project or find some reason why she was whom you chose to send it to.

This is advice I was given by producers like Gary Goldstein (Pretty Woman) and you know what? It works.
dirtbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #18
kidcharlemagne

Quote:
Really? You really think that every company in town is going to accept a cold query? Then why don't you try calling Pixar? If you don't, then I can tell you just how your conversation will go.

DIALTONE... (it only rings twice 'cause someone's paid to sit in front of a phone in a fancy place like Pixar).

RECEPTIONIST (with a preferably sexy voice)-
Hello, you've reached Pixar.

YOU-
Hi, I'd like to tell you about this great script I wrote that I think is perfect for-

RECEPTIONIST-
We don't accept pitches, or unsoliceted material. Please submit through your representative.

YOU-
No, but you see mine's different. It's really good.

BEEEEEEEEPPPP (that means she hung up a while ago).

YOU-
Hello? My script... Hello? Must have got disconnected.

Then of course you might suspect it may have been a glitch in the system that had caused you two to be disconnected. One of those damned dropped calls which the commercials told you AT&T wouldn't have (they lied), so of course you call them up again.

RECEPTIONIST-
Hello, this is Pixar.

YOU-
Hi, I was telling you about my great script before we got disconnected or something.

BEEEEEPPPP (you got hung up on again)

YOU-
Hello? We couldn't have gotten two dropped calls in a row. It must be the lobby music at Pixar. Anyway, so my script is really great. It's about this bunny rabbit who comes back from the dead, then goes on a killing spree.

-By now the dialtone has gone, and you've been transfered to the operator.

OPERATOR-
Hello, this is AT&T, how may I be of assistance.

YOU-
So this bunny goes on this insane killing spree, but here's the kicker, the whole time he was really a robot sent from the future!

OPERATOR-
Should I transfer you to the police, or maybe a psychiatrist?

YOU-
Fvck it, give me both.

And this would be the point where you would lose your mind. You would be quickly thrown into a stretcher, then checked into a mental hospital, and spend the rest of your days playing chess with a man who is convinced there are bugs living inside his brain, but you can't see them because they only come out at night when we're all sleeping (and he's one of the more sane ones). All because you thought that every company in town accepted unsolicited pitches. If only you would have listened.
Pixar's a red herring. It's a known fact they develop in house.

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless
kidcharlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:23 AM   #19
kidcharlemagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1981 View Post
I'm just curious if there's any companies that welcome a cold e-query?
In my experience the vast majority of prod. co's are open to queries (but not neccessarily via email) but it really depends on the 'fit' and the approach and the intrigue factor of the idea, so, in the main, high concept is easier but not for all companies. For example, I had a high concept tag-line and the dev. exec told me she was looking for the next SIDEWAYS (even though, based on their previous films, they looked like a good fit - remits change).

Everyone is open to finding the diamond in the mud but they, understandably, don't want to waste time and money digging in the dirt. In general when approaching Hollywood, or UK companies or setting up meetings at Cannes I found the phone a far more effective way of getting both read requests and meetings.

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless
kidcharlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:31 AM   #20
catcon

I've long given up on agents and managers and do only the producer query, so I've followed this topic closely. It's a crap shoot as to which producers are going to respond though.

Anyway, and this is a bit off topic, but what'd be everyone's learned advice when I send a query on one of my 3 active scripts, and I get back something like "Thanks but this one isn't for us. Best, (producer name withheld)."

Sh/could I follow-up right away with a query on another? Or worded something like "Thanks for the quick response. Based on the type of stories you do, I do have two others you might be interested in..." And sh/could I include the loglines or wait for him to reply to my reply? How long should I wait before doing this?

I always like the idea of thanking for any sort of response but it makes sense to gently take advantage of the opportunity to add my two cents worth towards the other stories.

How much is too much for these busy people?

Last edited by catcon : 06-08-2010 at 05:43 AM.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote