Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
Mintclub
Regular

Default Thoughts on the Blacklist

Is it regarded by industry folk as a useful marketing tool for specs or is it simply a popularity contest - where everybody helps each other out on the voting side of things - thus demeaning the whole thing?

I had a meeting with some execs the other day and a writer they've got working on an upcoming studio project has never sold anything but has had multiple scripts on the blacklist - so i'm guessing it genuinely helps boost a writer's profile?
Mintclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Steven L.
Regular

Default Re: Thoughts on the blacklist

I want on the Black List and Blood List this year.
Steven L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
SuperScribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven L. View Post
I want on the Black List and Blood List this year.

Same here (both lists).
SuperScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
TravisPickle
Regular

I do have a question for those familiar with the Black List "timeframe": does it matter WHEN a script gets sent out wide? In other words, would it benefit a potential Black List candidate to delay getting the script read until the Fall, i.e. closer to the publication of the list?

I ask because I frankly find it hard to believe that execs will remember a script they read 6 months prior (e.g. in June), unless they are nudged by reps to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintclub View Post
Is it regarded by industry folk as a useful marketing tool for specs or is it simply a popularity contest - where everybody helps each other out on the voting side of things - thus demeaning the whole thing?

I had a meeting with some execs the other day and a writer they've got working on an upcoming studio project has never sold anything but has had multiple scripts on the blacklist - so i'm guessing it genuinely helps boost a writer's profile?

Last edited by TravisPickle : 12-28-2012 at 12:36 PM.
TravisPickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:05 AM   #5
Terrance Mulloy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPickle View Post
I do have a question for those familiar with the Black List "timeframe": does it matter WHEN a script gets sent out wide? In other words, would it benefit a potential Black List candidate to delay getting the script read until the Fall, i.e. closer to the publication of the list?

I ask because I frankly find it hard to believe that execs will remember a script they read 6 months prior (e.g. in June), unless they are nudged by reps to do so.
From my understanding, execs are sent voting forms to fill out - which lists all specs that have officially done the rounds that given year.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Mintclub
Regular

Default Re: Thoughts on the Blacklist

Any thoughts on the Hit List - is it gaining a bigger profile or simply just another list?
Mintclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
michaelb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
From my understanding, execs are sent voting forms to fill out - which lists all specs that have officially done the rounds that given year.
That's the hit list that does that. The Black List is purely user based.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
michaelb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintclub View Post
Any thoughts on the Hit List - is it gaining a bigger profile or simply just another list?
Eh, it's nice to be on it, but it's mainly seen as a Black List rip off and not in the same league. Maybe that will change, but hasn't yet.

As far as lists go, the Black List matters. People care about it. It's a calling card. None of the other lists come close or are even used as a selling point like the Black List is.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
Steven L.
Regular

Do you think it is a confidence hit against a screenwriter if they have a spec circulate, everyone loves it, and then fails to make the Blacklist? Even more so, the Hit List and if in the Horror genre, the Blood List?
Steven L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
JJBones
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven L. View Post
Do you think it is a confidence hit against a screenwriter if they have a spec circulate, everyone loves it, and then fails to make the Blacklist? Even more so, the Hit List and if in the Horror genre, the Blood List?
Well that's up to the writer. And if the individual wants to take a moment to grieve and feel let down by it -- so be it. Hey, everyone's human and entitled to feel disappointed when they miss out on something...

But what are we, 5-year-olds? The disappointment needs to be measured in a dosage appropriate to the slight (Perceived or otherwise). But if it REALLY bothers someone to where they're having serious confidence issues... Then they picked the wrong career. Cuz NOT making a list is about the least of the rejections writers need to sack up and endure.
JJBones is offline   Reply With Quote