Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
catcon

Default IMDB vs. IMDBpro

Mercifully, the regular IMDB has begun to let us see at least some of a company's info (their produced titles)
Sample info for Martin Chase Productions
This is the way it used to be, compared to hiding everything with that stupid pop-up that blocked our view over the past few years.

This has only occurred in the past few weeks, I think. I'd given up even bothering to use IMDB to check for titles, so the first few times I'd seen this new view I thought it was some sort of (generous) accident. Yes, the personnel contacts and other info on the full IMDBpro is still hidden, but most of the time all I've ever wanted to see from a company was what it's released.

If you don't understand what I'm even talking about, then you probably have the full IMDBpro - lucky you, to be able to afford that!
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:09 PM   #2
finalact4

Default Re: IMDB vs. IMDBpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcon View Post
Mercifully, the regular IMDB has begun to let us see at least some of a company's info (their produced titles)
Sample info for Martin Chase Productions
This is the way it used to be, compared to hiding everything with that stupid pop-up that blocked our view over the past few years.

This has only occurred in the past few weeks, I think. I'd given up even bothering to use IMDB to check for titles, so the first few times I'd seen this new view I thought it was some sort of (generous) accident. Yes, the personnel contacts and other info on the full IMDBpro is still hidden, but most of the time all I've ever wanted to see from a company was what it's released.

If you don't understand what I'm even talking about, then you probably have the full IMDBpro - lucky you, to be able to afford that!
i'm starting the 30 day trial today or tomorrow. hopefully i'll see a benefit to using it? don't know.

www.LisaMolusis.com
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:40 AM   #3
catcon

Got another invite to try IMDBpro free trial.

Again, any general opinions on how useful it's been are welcome, but I'm particularly interested in it as a contact source. For instance, right now I'm interested in finding a certain performer's agent.

Yes, I'm aware of the Lit agent troubles over the past year (firing, consolidation, layoffs, etc.), but as the agencies try to salvage their fancy packaging deals, has there been similar turmoil on the acting/director talent front?

By which I mean, can we assume their contact info that's on IMDBpro is reasonably up-to-date.

Last edited by catcon : 03-28-2020 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:27 PM   #4
AK7576
User

Try it. Suck it dry in the free trial. See if you garner any useful info. I'm about to try it once I get my stimulus money. Be dedicated. Make lists of films and producers and cross reference them with imdb regular lists, then download like crazy. Sure some stuff will be out of date/change, but you'll still have a snapshot of what's what.
AK7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:02 AM   #5
catcon

Yep, for a freebie-meister such as myelf (no money to spend), draining IMDB (esp. prior Pro trials) is how I built much of my current database of just over 4600 contacts (probably 850 o which are fairly current, sometimes or regularly receiving pitches).

So, generally, IMDB (pro and not), LinkedIn, good old Google, and Done Deal Pro's own list. Various producer (and agent/mgr) lists maintained by member PJ here were helpful, but they were darned hard to keep up-to-date (it would be like my sharing mine with you - pretty well only valuable to me).

I'll go head and try IMDBpro for the month, but one has to check EVERY contact against LinkedIn. People on there really seem to keep their profiles up to date.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:40 PM   #6
lostfootage

IMDbPro for contact info has worked well for me. I haven't had bounces, and usually get a response. But I've probably only sent like 20 queries over the years.
lostfootage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:02 PM   #7
AK7576
User

I just check my VPF and got another request for a send I sent over a year back.

I have 2 that I have not replied to because one has problems and the other has been everywhere a few years ago.

But my respone rate is pretty good and I have a bunch of better stuff I'm working on.

Might send a few more off my old script which got good coverage but with an eye more on future stuff.

Last edited by Done Deal Pro : 04-02-2020 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Cleared extra spacing.
AK7576 is offline   Reply With Quote