Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long to hear back on query?

I know that there is not a time frame on it at all, but how long does it take most of you to get an e-mail back (if at all)? I'm just trying to see if I need to wait a few days or a couple weeks. Thanks in advance.

Re: How long to hear back on query?

it varies...sometimes a day, sometimes even a couple weeks. But more often than not it's within a couple hours. Because everyone's got blackberries, iphones, etc., now it makes checking email much faster.

your next question might be when is the best time to send the emails? Again, answers may vary but I've found querying early in the week sometime during mid morning. Tuesday and Wednesday at 10:30am is my favorite time. I don't query on Fridays.

But what do I know...I'm still unrepped.
    MT
    If Lindsey Lohan has a child, and that child will lead...I will follow.

Comment

btw, this topic has been beaten to death like a dead horse on various threads. spend some time searching through the forum and you'll find some good posts.
      If Lindsey Lohan has a child, and that child will lead...I will follow.

Comment

i have had mixed results. if you are doing a true cold query, i.e. queries@XXXX then it can be a month or so, that's how many scripts they are sorting through. If it's directly to a person then sooner/that day or that week seems about right. But then again, anything can happen. Good luck

Comment

About as long as a piece of string.

Best thing you can do is assume you will never hear back from anyone, so find other managers and agents and producers and query them. Then repeat. Stop once you have an offer or complete a better script.

Comment

Another twist on this question is how long does it take someone to get back to you after requesting the script. I am most interested in this in regards to managers. I'm sitting on a 4-6 weeks with a handful. Is that a pass?
            It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

It's good to create new dialogue for the newer contributers. The post you linked to is pretty vague anyway. Thanks anyway though.
              It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

My pet peeve in message boards -- "do a search" posts. It's all the same questions over and over, just someone else asking and different people responding. I hate it when people respond with that instead of just ignoring it or answering the question.

Querying Managers to Read Your Script

Anyway -- you should only email people directly. I think it's pointless to do the [email protected] type of thing. You want to do [email protected]. Only way to get a real response. And I found 99% of the time, you hear back from them within a minute to 2 hours if you are going to hear from them at all. A few I'm sure took a week, but everyone has email at their finger tips, so if you send it during working hours and not at lunch time, you should hear that day if they are interested.

Hearing Back From Managers

If they are interested you'll hear pretty quickly. A few days to a week or two later. If it's been 4 to 6 weeks, it's a pass. The two managers that offered to rep us, got back to me within 5 days of sending it to them. Always give them a weekend or two to read it, but I found out that checking in doesn't really help -- if they liked it, they'd contact you. Trust me.

Comment

I have used the quick search for a few different topics. It helps with some, but not with all. I didn't see what I was looking for on this topic, so I posted. Sorry for the redundant postings, but if it's something that is oing to be a general question, make it a sticky post in the section so newer users have a quicker way to get to it, and people can post on there if needed. Just an idea.

Back to topic: So it's safe to say that if you don't hear something same working day, they are not interested? So should I send out queries to different managers at the same groups? I'm not sure if that is something I should or shouldn't do.

Comment

Sure they may hit you up the next day or a week later, but yes, for the most part, they will get back to you right away.

And I hit up other managers at the same company... it's okay. Got to try everyone as you never know who will say yes.

Comment

If you have not heard back within three days the answer is "no."

Comment

The best advice I was given was shoot 'em up with your queries then forget about it.

From personal experience, the majority of read requests (like 90%) comes within 24 hours.

You still have chances after 72 hours.

From then on the probabilities drop exponentially. But you still might get an email 6 months down the line - it's rare.

If you sent them your script, then it is 1 month.

I never follow up but I know others that do. If they want you, they'll call you. Believe me, it happens. Yes, like that. Off an e-query.

Good luck!

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

i've had 3 responses so far off of my query. i think 2 were within an hour, and 1 was within 4 hours.
                          http://kiyongkim.com

Comment

Originally posted by spacefarer View Post
                            The best advice I was given was shoot 'em up with your queries then forget about it.

From personal experience, the majority of read requests (like 90%) comes within 24 hours.

You still have chances after 72 hours.

From then on the probabilities drop exponentially. But you still might get an email 6 months down the line - it's rare.

If you sent them your script, then it is 1 month.

I never follow up but I know others that do. If they want you, they'll call you. Believe me, it happens. Yes, like that. Off an e-query.

Good luck!
                            Thanks this helps a lot! I wish I had known that sooner (before calling Gersh, like, 4 times... my name is probably on some post-it wall of shame). Congratulations on your recent news!! I'm impressed you have the time to answer posts. Good luck! Nice to see things can turn around that fast.

Comment

Working...
                            X