Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angle On

Wondering what people think about using the descriptive element "angle on" in the action text? I've seen a few pro scripts recently that have utilized it sparingly, and I kind of like how it helps breaks up blocks of text and focuses the attention. Mostly I equate it with a close up shot. You?

Re: Angle On

The Ends of the Earth

"Angle on BEN WILCOX, 26, handsome. And at the moment, more or less drunk."

"Angle on Wilcox watching. The couple is graceful and radiant."

Or similar moments like this:

"ON Lydie. Her face is reflected in the window, over the dark plains passing by."

"ON Ernest, standing at the door."

What I like is how it helps orient us to where we are specifically looking. A lot of the notes I've seen in the Script Pages section relate to the reader not being clear what they are seeing. This would seem to be a simple way to help clear that up.

Or is it a major no-no?

Comment

It's a major no-no.

Comment

I use it all the time.
        Introduce a little anarchy.

Comment

It's a popular technique in professionally written scripts.

You'll often hear a bizarre idea that amateurs shouldn't make their scripts look like professionally written scripts or use similar techniques to those found in professionally written scripts.

Here's some alternative advice:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...&postcount=234

Read fifty scripts from pro writers, see how they use all the things that people are telling you not to do.

Take what you want. Leave the rest.
          Mac
          New blogposts:
          *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
          *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
          *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
          *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
            It's a major no-no.
            It's perfectly fine.

I've even used it on the opening pages of scripts. In conjucntion with pull back or push in it becomes extremely powerful and evocative.
            M.A.G.A.

Comment

For those saying it's perfectly fine and you use it all the time...

Can you specify whether you are:
              1. writing on assignment
              2. or writing spec

And if spec, can you also specify whether you sold one of these specs littered with camera directions?

thanks

Comment

It's a major no-no.
                Sorry, but that's nonsense. Like any other conventional device used sparingly and appropriately to frame something, it works fine. Maybe it's used less now than it was in the 1990s, doesn't matter. It's possible to achieve the same effect in different ways, but that doesn't matter, the writer can use whatever device they like if it works. "Angle on" has been used for years; anyone in the industry knows what it means.
                "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

For those saying it's perfectly fine and you use it all the time...

Can you specify whether you are:
                  1. writing on assignment
                  2. or writing spec

And if spec, can you also specify whether you sold one of these specs littered with camera directions?

thanks
                  Both.

Many.

Comment

Sorry if I was running over the same old ground with this thread. Thanks for the differing opinions. I know that some "rules" are more bendy than others.

I guess this all speaks to a larger issue, which is to have confidence in your voice when writing your story.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                      Both.

Many.
                      Glad you said this. I was about to start changing all my Angle Ons.

God, I kinda hate this place.
                      "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
                      - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Why were you gonna change? Only one person said not to do use 'Angle On' and everyone else said he was talking nonsense.
                        M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                          Why were you gonna change? Only one person said not to do use 'Angle On' and everyone else said he was talking nonsense.
                          I dunno. The OP seemed so confident about it. Plus, it kinda made sense to me; not putting camera directions in a spec script. The people calling it nonsense could have been wrong. JeffLowell is the only one I know for sure is speaking from experience. I probably wouldn't have changed my stuff without more research but I was thinking about it...
                          "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
                          - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

ANGLE ON:

is a great one. I don't know why but a well dropped "ANGLE ON:" is tasty.

I just used...

"A WIDER ANGLE REVEALS:"

Use that sh!t. Do not listen to people giving "better" examples. The right words are what matters, not the alternate words. And sometimes ANGLE ON: are the right words. (awk sentence. Why? Because ANGLE ON is so awesome you wanna refer to it as one word)

Sometimes you want the effect of the CAMERA being present.

Use it.

Comment

Originally posted by gridlock'd View Post
                              JeffLowell is the only one I know for sure is speaking from experience. I probably wouldn't have changed my stuff without more research but I was thinking about it...
                              (not speaking to you specifically, Grid, but using your post as an example)

this is a really unhealthy way to think and it's one of the main things the pros try to address on this board.

CALCULATE LESS

Comment

Working...
                              X