No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diablo Cody's directing debut

Originally posted by nathanq
    I'm sure some shrill critic will decry sexism or some bogus defense for me taking this position,

but, from the log-line, this project seems like one of the most worthless pieces of Christian propaganda. I know I shouldn't expect strippers to be intellectuals, but fvck this is laughably awful.
    Are you kidding me?

She's not a stripper. She hasn't been a stripper for years. Seriously, man, do you think that it makes sense to define someone as "less than intellectual" because of a job that they did years ago? Really? Have you ever waited tables, or dug a frigging ditch, or did you go directly from your mother's womb to a high powered "intellectual" job.

So lame.

Beyond that, knowing only what the the logline says,

"After a near-death experience in a plane crash, a young religious woman loses her faith and decides to go to Vegas and live the life of a sinner."

I really don't know how you come to the conclusion that the movie would be a piece of Christian propaganda. Incredibly intellectually lazy for anyone to come to that half baked and uninformed conclusion.

And, no, I'm not a Christian, not even close, nor am I a big fan of Cody's. But no one who writes like she does can be called stupid.

Comment

I'm sure some shrill critic will decry sexism or some bogus defense for me taking this position,

but, from the log-line, this project seems like one of the most worthless pieces of Christian propaganda. I know I shouldn't expect strippers to be intellectuals, but fvck this is laughably awful.
      It IS possible to write something that is about religion without it being religious propaganda.

If you think of her as just a stripper and if you kneejerk your way into saying a stripper can't be an intellectual, then that isn't sexist or bogus, just myopic.

(Upon preview, what SBScript said.)

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
        Beyond that, knowing only what the the logline says,

"After a near-death experience in a plane crash, a young religious woman loses her faith and decides to go to Vegas and live the life of a sinner."..and then finds her faith again

I really don't know how you come to the conclusion that the movie would be a piece of Christian propaganda. Incredibly intellectually lazy for anyone to come to that half baked and uninformed conclusion.
        Nonetheless, so this doesn't go back and forth with others, i will withhold most of my judgement for the project and Diablo until it comes out. done.
        Last edited by nathanq; 09-03-2011, 10:03 PM.

Comment

this sounds interesting, like an in-depth character study of what it takes to both lose and find yourself; and defining the lines between acceptable and unacceptable human frailties. good for diablo.
          life happens
          despite a few cracked pots-
          and random sunlight

Comment

Geoff and Jc are 100% right. Don't ever judge someone from their line of work. Unless of course they are an assassin or some sh!t. But even then, it would be wise not to. And NEVER judge a stripper...sorry, exotic dancer. I was at a buck's party once and got this really hot lap dance (yes, I'm that kind of guy), from a girl who was paying her way through university. She was studying to be a microbiologist. True story.

I don't get all the hate for DC. She has a very unique take on things and a very unique voice. There's really no one out there quite like her. She's corned a niche and she does it well. And if anything, I'd say this is going to be an anti-religious film.
            @TerranceMulloy

Comment

i think you're reading too much into that part of the logline or possibly not enough?

it could mean faith in religion; or it could mean faith in herself, faith in what she left behind, faith in her ability to choose right from wrong, etc.
              life happens
              despite a few cracked pots-
              and random sunlight

Comment

Sorry, I don't follow. That part of the logline sounds like an endorsement of religion to me.
                Endorsed by who? The Church of Christianity? The Raelian Movement? Who exactly is endorsing this so-called religious message that you seem convinced is going to be in there. Like Asjah said, and without getting into a debate about what religion is, having "faith" does not necessarily mean being religious. For all we know, DC could believe in the purple grape ape?

My point is, you're making some big assumptions. I'm not even sure why the logline offends you so much.
                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                  My point is, you're making some big assumptions. I'm not even sure why the logline offends you so much.
                  I AM OFFENDED!! That's all you need to know! I'm going to make pronouncements on a movie based entirely on a logline, and I'm not even going to take into consideration any of the writer's past produced work into my pronouncement that the movie is pure propaganda! I will make snap judgments on something I haven't seen 'cause I DON'T LIKE THE LOGLINE!! And I don't care if the logline may or may not actually be the total sum of the movie! I will not change my mind about it 'cause I don't like religion and Christopher Hitchens is a god!! I mean, if there was a god. And I will use many exclamation points for no reason!!

HH

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                    I AM OFFENDED!! That's all you need to know! I'm going to make pronouncements on a movie based entirely on a logline, and I'm not even going to take into consideration any of the writer's past produced work into my pronouncement that the movie is pure propaganda! I will make snap judgments on something I haven't seen 'cause I DON'T LIKE THE LOGLINE!! And I don't care if the logline may or may not actually be the total sum of the movie! I will not change my mind about it 'cause I don't like religion and Christopher Hitchens is a god!! I mean, if there was a god. And I will use many exclamation points for no reason!!

HH
                    Umm...please, don't sue me for having an opinion on religion. Sue my agent instead.

Actually fvck that, sue Diablo's agent instead. Leave us out of it.
                    @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                      Umm...please, don't sue me for having an opinion on religion. Sue my agent instead.

Actually fvck that, sue Diablo's agent instead. Leave us out of it.
                      Was it all the caffeine I had today? I hope you guys know that I'm kidding.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
                        Are you kidding me?

She's not a stripper. She hasn't been a stripper for years. Seriously, man, do you think that it makes sense to define someone as "less than intellectual" because of a job that they did years ago? Really? Have you ever waited tables, or dug a frigging ditch, or did you go directly from your mother's womb to a high powered "intellectual" job.

So lame.
                        I know a senior exec at one of the studios was a former stripper. She did it during her college years while she majored in philosophy. She also did one of those Hometown Honeys spreads in Playboy.
                        Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                          Was it all the caffeine I had today? I hope you guys know that I'm kidding.

HH
                          Of course. So was I.
                          @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Does it matter if the film's theme ends up supporting some widespread idea about faith or Christianity?
                            I happened to like BRUCE ALMIGHTY. The week before it came out, one of the elders at the church I used to attend was decrying how it was "Hollywood's version of God." And then two weeks after it came out, he was using it in Sunday School to discuss submission to God's will.
                            "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

I kind of wonder if DC peaked with Juno. There are a lot of writers who have that one good script in them. I didn't see Jennifer's Body, but I heard the script was a disappointing follow-up. And, I saw some of United States of Tara and didn't think it was very good. I think she wound up with a lot of haters because, frankly, the way she got a name for herself was because she was a stripper. Seemed rather outrageous and sexist that the first woman screenwriter who actually got press did so because she used to take her clothes off. While that's not her fault, it made a lot of struggling women writers feel very confused about the sexism in the business.

Anyway, I hope she has a long career, so keeping my fingers crossed that this script is good. I think it really needs to be.
                              Last edited by MLawe; 07-01-2011, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MLawe View Post
                                I think she wound up with a lot of haters because, frankly, the way she got a name for herself was because she was a stripper.
                                Yeah, she was indeed a stripper, but that's not what solely got her into the industry. She blogged about her experiences in the sex industry - in a funny, witty, and often very crude way. A producer who was a fan of her blog for some time, saw something there and suggested she write a screenplay... We all know the rest.

And I think despite her colorful past, the reason she got a lot of exposure and press is because it's an interesting story. Almost like a rag to riches tale. Plus Diablo has never made any bones about being small-town white trash. A lot of her characters kind of reflect that.

More power to her, I say.
                                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Working...
                                X