Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Departed

Looks good and the reviews I've been reading seem very positive...most of the reviewers saying it's Scorsese's best in years. I know I'll be there next weekend. Thoughts???
    "The two hardest words to write are FADE IN. The two most gratifying are FADE OUT."

Re: The Departed

i had to scrap the script at work last week... so tough not to give it a read through.

looking forward to it next week.

Comment

I liked Gangs, I liked Aviator, but the trailer for this just doesn't convince. I'll deffinately wait for cable.
      Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Just go out and rent 'Infernal affairs' from Netflix of Blockbuster.

Comment

Not only is it supposed to be Scorsese's best since Goodfellas, there are whispers of Nicholson getting an Oscar for his performance.

Comment

Ahh ****, I could see this on Sunday if I hadn't been scheduled to work.

Comment

I predict this will be the one that finally gets Marty the Big Bowling Trophy.

You heard it here first!

Comment

I think it'll be unremarkable like all of Scorsese's recent work.
                What?! Scorcese's recent work has been remarkable. Aviator and Gangs were both brilliant. I didn't enjoy them as much as Goodfellas but what the hell? If it was Christmas everyday it wouldn't be Christmas.

Your statement is just not accurate. You could say you found his recent work was not as remarkable as his previous work and that would be accurate. Sheesh, what does it take to be remarkable in your eyes? Whatever it is, it's surely so far flung as to not even be obtainable.

I'll take your unremarkable Scorcese over 99.9% of the other movies that are out there at any given time.

I predict this will be the one that finally gets Marty the Big Bowling Trophy.
                I agree. They know they have to give him one sooner or later and later might be too late for him to enjoy it. Then again, maybe not having the trophy will him inspire him to even greater heights, though I doubt the trophy is high on his priority list.

***Vania, Vania, Vania, Vania, Vania, xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo***
                Last edited by sasqits; 09-29-2006, 08:23 PM. Reason: spelling, and adding more hugs and kisses

Comment

Originally posted by sasqits View Post

***Vania, Vania, Vania, Vania, Vania, xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo***

What the fauck is this Vania business?

Whatever it is, it reeks of stalkerish... ness

Comment

Originally posted by mad_r0 View Post
                    Just go out and rent 'Infernal affairs' from Netflix of Blockbuster.
                    have you seen the departed and compared the two?
                    "everything a writer learns about the art and craft of fiction takes just a little away from his need or desire to write at all. in the end he knows all the tricks and has nothing to say."

Comment

I'm going to a concert on the 6th of October, so I'll probably see it the next day, unless I can pull off a miracle and wake up in time for an early show.

Really looking forward to this. Great cast. Nicholson in a Scorsese movie is like a dream, despite the shortcomings of Gangs of New York and (to a much higher degree) the Aviator.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                        I'm going to a concert on the 6th of October, so I'll probably see it the next day, unless I can pull off a miracle and wake up in time for an early show.

Really looking forward to this. Great cast. Nicholson in a Scorsese movie is like a dream, despite the shortcomings of Gangs of New York and (to a much higher degree) the Aviator.
                        i can't wait for it. i feel the same about nicholson and scorsese, but disagree with gangs of the new york and aviator. i love them both. whenever aviator comes on tv i have to watch it.
                        "everything a writer learns about the art and craft of fiction takes just a little away from his need or desire to write at all. in the end he knows all the tricks and has nothing to say."

Comment

Originally posted by prince pantyhose View Post
                          whenever aviator comes on tv i have to watch it.
                          I have the dvd and I still never watch it. I don't see the point. Hughes' problems aren't nearly as interesting to watch as those of LaMotta and Hill and other Scorsese characters. Hughes' accomplishments and lifestyle are certainly spectacular, but it's a character's struggle that makes us want to watch them. LaMotta has a short fuse that can explode at anybody in a moment's notice. It's great to watch this character try to cope with is flaws. But Hughes' problem is that he repeats himself and doesn't have the right amount of peas. Henry Hill has to deal with the mob life having an affect on his personal life where as Hughes' just can't get his hands clean. The parts of The Aviator that are supposed to be the most fun to watch (the character's struggle; the conflict) turn out to be the most boring scenes in the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                            I have the dvd and I still never watch it. I don't see the point. Hughes' problems aren't nearly as interesting to watch as those of LaMotta and Hill and other Scorsese characters. Hughes' accomplishments and lifestyle are certainly spectacular, but it's a character's struggle that makes us want to watch them. LaMotta has a short fuse that can explode at anybody in a moment's notice. It's great to watch this character try to cope with is flaws. But Hughes' problem is that he repeats himself and doesn't have the right amount of peas. Henry Hill has to deal with the mob life having an affect on his personal life where as Hughes' just can't get his hands clean. The parts of The Aviator that are supposed to be the most fun to watch (the character's struggle; the conflict) turn out to be the most boring scenes in the picture.
                            I can see your point but I'm one of those who will watch this any time it's on TV. The conflict is more subtle but it's there. It has to do with Hughes's character flaws and how he relates to others that makes it so interesting.

And on top of that, there is some outstanding acting in it. Adam Scott is especially fun to watch. What I didn't know until just now is that the girl who played Faith, the 15 year old Hughes dated, was played by the same girl who played Heather in Bully.

Comment

Originally posted by Pencey View Post
                              I can see your point but I'm one of those who will watch this any time it's on TV. The conflict is more subtle but it's there. It has to do with Hughes's character flaws and how he relates to others that makes it so interesting.
                              I think his character flaws are what make is so boring. His problems simply don't make for an entertaining film. Who cares if he can't get his insane food demands perfectly correct and who cares if he washes his hands for 5 minutes at a time. I just cannot find the appeal in that. I'd rather watch someone deal with REAL problems, not some internal psychotic episode that we've seen in several films before. The Aviator doesn't seem to provide anything new or exciting.

Comment

Working...
                              X