Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presumed Innocent

I rented this the other night because I was in the mood for a good courtroom thriller, and I swear, the ending was different than what I remembered.

I'm guessing SPOILERS aren't needed for such an old film...

I remember the last scene being Harrison Ford finding the hatchet with the blood and blond hair on it in his toolbox. He doesn't seem overly surprised, and so the movie ends with the lingering question: did he do it or did she do it?

The version I just saw had an extra 10 minutes or so, where the wife explains every detail about how she planned and executed the murder, from collecting and freezing hubby's sperm to buying a matching set of bar glasses, serving him beer in it, planting the glass at the ex-lover's house, etc.

So now I don't know if I just have a really bad memory or if perhaps they made two different versions of the film. And it's driving me crazy!

Re: Presumed Innocent

SPOILERS

She was always the one who did it. I even think there was a scene with her gardening near the beginning or so of the flick. I think the ambiguity was along the lines of: did she deliberately set out to frame her husband, or were the "clues" accidental? The movie goes more along the framing version than the book, where it's not so cut and dried about her motivations.

Been awhile since I've seen it, but it's a good flick. Oh, and Turow is one of the better laywer writers out there. Another one is Douglas E. Winter, but no one ever hears about him 'cause he's too busy lawyering and hanging out with Stephen King.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
      SPOILERS

She was always the one who did it. I even think there was a scene with her gardening near the beginning or so of the flick. I think the ambiguity was along the lines of: did she deliberately set out to frame her husband, or were the "clues" accidental? The movie goes more along the framing version than the book, where it's not so cut and dried about her motivations.

Been awhile since I've seen it, but it's a good flick. Oh, and Turow is one of the better laywer writers out there. Another one is Douglas E. Winter, but no one ever hears about him 'cause he's too busy lawyering and hanging out with Stephen King.

HH
      I miss good courtroom thrillers. They only come along once in a blue moon now, given than TV has completely taken over that genre.

And I still think there was a different ending before, because all these years I was never sure if he did it or the wife did it. The way she explained it in this "new" version, was that she was always prepared to take the stand and tell the truth, but then the case was magically dismissed, and oh honey, we are both "saved." He just looks at her with stupor and horror, tears streaming down his face (not an easy thing for Ford to pull off, LOL), and whispers: "saved?"

Raul Julia totally kicked ass in the flick. And how nice to see Josh and Leo from the West Wing in the same movie!

Comment

That was always the ending.

- Bill
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
          That was always the ending.

- Bill
          Yep. Certainly the one I saw at the cinema. And on DVD in repeated viewings over recent years.

It's a pearler, I have to say. Greta Sacchi is fabulous. (Reminds me of the character she played in The Player.)
          sigpic

Website
          Tweets
          Book

Comment

spoilers...?

below

yes, the wife explaining how she did it -- that's the way i remember the film as well. bonnie bedelia's explanation at the end really stood out to me. she was utterly creepy with that dazed monotone; but you felt for her after watching ford catting around with scacchi then getting dumped and acting lovesick.
            Last edited by asjah8; 09-15-2011, 09:38 PM.
            life happens
            despite a few cracked pots-
            and random sunlight

Comment

Well I guess my memory sucks then, and that's the end of that

That said, maybe the ending I thought I saw would have been more powerful and chilling: did he or didn't he?

ETA: Apparently there are others out there who saw a different ending, so maybe the studio was trying out different options, maybe there was a director's cut, and maybe I'm not crazy.
              Last edited by Rantanplan; 09-16-2011, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X