No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Death Of A-List???

Originally posted by Hilario113 View Post
    Very insightful article claiming that Will Smith is the only TRUE movie star left and a commentary on the state of "stardom" in the current Hwood climate:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...the-movie-star
    Brad Pitt.

He is a fvcking BEAST overseas. He powers tiny movies like Babel to 100mill. Burn After Reading only works with him or Will Smith. I'd argue the same about Benjamin Buttons.

Comment

I still think DENZEL is still a mega star. Book of ELI and the Train movie did over 100 mil. And I'm pretty sure SAFE HOUSE will do 100 mil worldwide, and that will be because of DENZEL not Ryan Reynolds.

Comment

Denzel does decent numbers overseas but he's not on Pitt, Smith, (and maybe) Depp's level.

I constantly hear people say he doesn't matter overseas (which isn't quite true) but perception is everything. He's A-List but he's not a superstar like the others.

Comment

True. There's a certain ... sexiness that Denzel's films lack. High on dramatic tension, but relatively low on a sense of humor and, ironically, romance. Pitt can deliver all three.
          "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
          - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Stars are still very significant. While domestically their impact is nowadays smaller, worldwide they make a big difference. Also they boost DVD and Blueray sales and rentals a great deal.

Some stars, such as Will Smith, Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Robert Downey Jr. and the more USA-bound Adam Sandler have had very big, consistent runs in recent years. They are most definitely A-listers in the classic sense.

Of course every star has flops - Or simply chooses to make a smaller prestige picture in between. Will Smith is bound to have a commercial failure sooner or later.

For screenwriters of drama the relative diminishment of movie stars is a bad thing. It forces studios to go more for big-concept films. It's often really, really hard to sell a drama without a movie star. Black Swan, The Fighter and True Grit all needed their stars to become hits, because conceptually they didn't have the big moneyshots or distinctive "what if" premises. They were relatively low-concept by modern standards.

I think one thing that has diminished traditional Hollywood stardom is the arrival of the reality/internet celebrity culture. From Paris Hilton to Kim Kardashian to Heidi Montag, there is more competition for the media coverage. Audiences are flooded by celebrity news, and the classic Hollywood movie star doesn't have the same iconic glamour as he used to have.

Comment

Pamela Anderson is currently in Big Brother in the UK, and last night was introduced by the voice-over as "A-list Hollywood actress, Pamela Anderson."

So as you can see, the A-list is alive and well.

Comment

movie stars, celebrities, and actors --- 3 very different creatures in the entertainment business. for some there is crossover and overlap.

notice: movie stars don't get oscar nominations like actors do
                depp started out as an actor. now he's mostly movie star.

Comment

Originally posted by sherbetbizarre View Post
                  Pamela Anderson is currently in Big Brother in the UK, and last night was introduced by the voice-over as "A-list Hollywood actress, Pamela Anderson."

Hell she managed to book Big Brother didn't she? If that doesn't prove your A-list status I don't know what can.

Comment

Originally posted by sherbetbizarre View Post

Wow.

Then again A could very well mean asinine.
                    "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
                    -Maya Angelou

Comment

Taylor Lautner will save us!
                      "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by WriteByNight View Post
                        Many people felt III was the best of the franchise (including me). Didn't do too hot.
                        It was the best of the series. The only reason it didn't do better at the box office was 'cause Cruise started to unleash the crazy during the publicity tour...which is why Redstone booted his @ss off the Paramount lot.

Comment

Deleted post.

Comment

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
                            I think one thing that has diminished traditional Hollywood stardom is the arrival of the reality/internet celebrity culture. From Paris Hilton to Kim Kardashian to Heidi Montag, there is more competition for the media coverage. Audiences are flooded by celebrity news, and the classic Hollywood movie star doesn't have the same iconic glamour as he used to have.
                            I was watching on TV some guy do "a person on the street". He asked a woman what's Kim Kardashian famous for. The woman couldn't come up with an answer, and that's scary (I wouldn't watch "Disaster Movie" if you asked me to).

Call me old-fashioned, but I believe in working hard to be famous, not being born into money or going on some bowtie-wearing B.S. reality show.
                            "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I think the big difference is in the old days actors appeared in a film and if it was a hit they became a star. Examples: Eddie Murphy, Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks, Mel Gibson, Jim Carrey, Tom Cruise, John Travolta etc.

These days it's the reverse. Studios invest in 'presumed' A list talent. They see an actor in some smaller film and say "he's the new star." He hasn't had a hit, he's just got a good agent or studio behind him. Examples of this: Clive Owen, Jude Law, Sam Worthington. Sam Worthington was in Avatar, Terminator 4, Clash of the Titans, almost got the part of James Bond too (he was in the final three and lost out to Daniel Craig). How was he elevated to A list status without appearing as the star of a hit film?

Colin Farrell was the star of the very recent remake of Fright Night. It was a bit of a flop. Okay, it flopped hard but he still got the lead role in the remake/reboot of Total Recall. Don't ask how a studio thought he was A list proven box office material to star in Total Recall! And could any studio head forget - he was the lead in Oliver Stone's Alexander - one of the biggest flops ever! The investors in Total Recall 2012 must be pooping in their pants hoping/praying Farrell won't deliver them a big flop.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                                I was watching on TV some guy do "a person on the street". He asked a woman what's Kim Kardashian famous for. The woman couldn't come up with an answer, and that's scary (I wouldn't watch "Disaster Movie" if you asked me to).

Call me old-fashioned, but I believe in working hard to be famous, not being born into money or going on some bowtie-wearing B.S. reality show.
                                Well, you know, technically she did work hard for that fame. She did a sex tape.
                                Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Working...
                                X