How do YOU possibly watch all the movies you want?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do YOU possibly watch all the movies you want?

You don't need to watch that many movies.

Watching one older and one newer movie every week helps you to keep up to date with what is going on these days, and what has happened in the past.

I watch a bit more than that, but I have a 95% accuracy rate. Which means I enjoy 95% of the movies I watch. Sometimes I also watch bad movies on purpose. Having this kind of accuracy rate saves time.

Things that help me a great deal in picking movies, and can help you as well:

1. Watch movies in genres you are interested in.

2. Rottentomatoes.com. I don't even bother reading reviews much anymore, just checking out the average grade, freshness and the overall consensus is enough.

3. Metacritic.com. For the same reasons as RT.

4. Imdb.com. Good for tracking how much movie fans enjoyed something, not that good for tracking mainstream reactions. Just checking out the grade is usually enough.

5. Yahoo.com/movies, just check the grade. Although unfortunately the movies section has lost a lot of popularity in the last couple of years, and it's not good for tracking current movies. But films used to get dozens of thousands of votes in the movies section, much like IMDB. Yahoo is more mainstream, less for movie fanatics than IMDB, so it's good for tracking how much mainstream audiences enjoy(d) something.

6. I find Oscars and other awards far less useful in finding quality, than the aforementioned sites.

7. Find critics you agree with. I may suggest James Berardinelli who is an even-headed, analytical critic who enjoys movies in all genres, commercial works and arthouse movies alike.

8. Google is your friend. Typing stuff like "best Korean films of the 00's" or "best european horror movies of the 80's", etc, pays off in spades. Pretty much any list you ever wanted to find, is out there, usually compiled by smart and devoted people. It's easy to find the good ones. I search a lot of the more obscure stuff this way - The method is useless for mainstream stuff.

Comment

For me, I take a day-- usually every other weekend-- and will watch three movies at the movie theater. I time it so I can go from one to the next with a pause to eat dinner at the restaurant in the bar area at the theater. Then I watch another while drinking a glass of cabernet and eating a club sandwich with fries on my ipad--

It's awesome! But I only watch what interests me-- sci-fi, action, thriller and stay away from comedy and rom coms.

FA4
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by BloodyBigfoot View Post
        I watch a lot of movies while riding the exercise bike. I just slide the bike in front of the tv, and watch, enjoy, and sweat. I don't even have to pedal fast.
        That's how I watched the past Oscars. Burned a ton of calories, mostly from trying to escape, then realizing the bike was stationary, then subsequently crying.

Comment

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
          7. Find critics you agree with. I may suggest James Berardinelli who is an even-headed, analytical critic who enjoys movies in all genres, commercial works and arthouse movies alike.

8. Google is your friend. Typing stuff like "best Korean films of the 00's" or "best european horror movies of the 80's", etc, pays off in spades. Pretty much any list you ever wanted to find, is out there, usually compiled by smart and devoted people. It's easy to find the good ones. I search a lot of the more obscure stuff this way - The method is useless for mainstream stuff.
          I really agree with both points. Regarding #7, I've found some blogs about cinema that I followed and from which I got great recommendations. Also communities like mubi.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
            That's how I watched the past Oscars. Burned a ton of calories, mostly from trying to escape, then realizing the bike was stationary, then subsequently crying.

lmao

Comment

One at a time. They add up over the years.

- Bill
              Free Script Tips:
              http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

You'll find that as you get older, weirdly enough you'll start having extra time to watch movies. You'll also find that current films are nowhere as good as they used to be. Which gives you even more time to catch up on your list.
                "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I went through a stage of watching too many flicks, now I tend to believe that less is more, and more is less.

And so pick out a theme, noirs, or at the moment, European cinema, and rare or some of the less well known horrors...
                  Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Working...
                  X