Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDealers who are going to Austin?

Hi everyone, Austin is getting close. I was wondering how many of us Done Dealers are going to be attending?

Perhaps we should meet up?

I have never been to AFF, or any festival, can someone give me some basic info.

1) Attire?

2) Do I need a massive amount of money for food and drink?
    (I ask because parking is OUTRAGEOUS)

3) How early does one need to be to get into panels/roundtables?
    (I do have a producers badge)

4) Can someone tell me exactly what my one pager should include?

5) Last Q, any advise on pitching?

Hopefully, we can meet...Good Luck Everyone
    Looking for some light, and making things beautiful along the way.

Re: DDealers who are going to Austin?

1) Attire?

Sometimes Austin can be 75, sometimes it can be 95. But they keep the Driskill pretty chilly so bring a layer to throw on when you're inside

Depends on how fancy you want to eat. There are plenty of $$$$ restaurants within walking distance, but there are also plenty of cheaper pub-style and fast food joints

There is a sign-up table on the 2d Floor of the Driskill when you check in to get your badge. You're allowed to sign up for two (I think) roundtables in advance. But even if the one(s) you want fill up, you can show up 15-30 min early and get in the standby line. Usually they make room for a fair number of people

Comment

Comfortable walking shoes.
      Aspirin

Comment

I'll be there for the third time, covering it for Movie Maker Magazine. Would be happy to join a meet-up.

Attire ranges from student scruffy to business casual.

Check the weather report before you go.

There's some free food at the parties. Last time I was there the goody bag had a Chipotle gift certificate. It's a college town so there's plenty of cheap/fast food downtown.
        "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Michel View Post

1) Attire?
          Jeans and comfortable shoes. Comedy writers tend to be in Converse.

You don't need to rent a car and park unless you have places you want to go that are father away. There are taxis from the airport to the Driskill for about $20-$30, there's a bus/shuttle that's cheaper, and AFF is giving a discount for FASTEN (their version of Uber - Uber doesn't exist in Austin). AFF offers free shuttles to the BBQ and movie venues.

Yes, there will be free food but unless you're a supermodel or enjoy filling up on Luna Bars you'll need real food, too. EDITED: The BBQ (obviously) is centered around food. There will be tons. You will be stuffed. Same for the Sunday brunch.

For other days, the parties have appetizers and the lines are really, really long. You're there to meet people so you might meet people in line, but you'll probably want a breakfast and at least one other meal. I recommend:
          Driskill/Cafe 1886 for a treat breakfast (admittedly expensive but close and really good)

The Hideout for muffins or breakfast tacos (I think they have them sometimes?) they also have lunchy stuff and it's very close.

There's a falafel truck usually outside the Stephen F Austin my friend swears by. But then, he swears a lot.

Iron Cactus for insanely quick walking distance Texican type food. (Clarification: the restaurant takes a while, but it's a short walk). There LOTS of others - ask around for recommendations. When I lived in Austin I never went to Iron Cactus because it was ordinary but now that I moved, everything they have tastes amazing. Generally Austin restaurants are somewhat cheaper than other cities, at least maybe where I tend to go?

Drinks are free. AFF is sponsored by Stella, some sort of wine and some sort of hard alcohol. Also Topo Chico, a fizzy Mexican bottled water. YUM. There are pitchers of water in the Driskill and Stephen F Austin. Also coffee in the morning, although sometimes it's a little less than clear whether it's for hotel guests or festival goers?
          Be at least 15-20 minutes early if it's your favorite panel you absolutely must get into. Maybe even a half hour? On Saturday or for small rooms, maybe earlier. Don't dawdle.
          I would just do a business card. Name, contact info.
          The pitchfest is a popular way to do it. Go to the first panel about pitching.

Otherwise, just focus on meeting people and being nice and try not to push. Don't pitch unless someone asks "What's it about?" Then be succinct and interesting.
          Last edited by cvolante; 10-01-2016, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Ooooo thanks everyone for the tips.
            Since I have never been. Maybe someone else could chime in, where's the best place and time for a DD meet up?

Comment

Ooooo thanks everyone for the tips.
              Since I have never been. Maybe someone else could chime in, where's the best place and time for a DD meet up?
              most everybody repairs to the Driskill Bar between panels and at the end of the day, so that's usually the best bet for running into folks

Comment

Great info all around. I'd be up for a meet up.

My only problem with the Driskill Bar is it can get stupidly crowded. Totally agree on the breakfast at the Driskill/1886. Superb, but not cheap.

My advice - sleep when you can. The parties run late and there's a session you'll want to see every hour.

Comment

I'll be there.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to get the schedule on my phone. I might just pick up a hard copy at sign in and just apply a highlighter. Old school style! (I mostly use my phone for photos and Lyfts, anyway.)
                  "The intrepid Spaceman Spiff is stranded on a distant planet! Our hero ruefully acknowledges this happens fairly frequently." Calvin & Hobbs

Comment

First timer.

Thanks for the great tips.

Comment

and make sure to check out some films... they have some great theatres and films too!

Comment

Originally posted by Willoughby View Post
                        I'll be there.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to get the schedule on my phone. I might just pick up a hard copy at sign in and just apply a highlighter. Old school style! (I mostly use my phone for photos and Lyfts, anyway.)
                        Hi! RML here. This is my favorite time of the year.

6th time at AFF (and did like 7-8 Creative Screenwriting Expos before that). If this helps:

Right now, I think Uber and Lyft are gone from Austin. On the AFF website or App store you can get "Fasten." I asked a local friend and he said "Fasten is the best (or least bad) option we have. With "Fare" being the 2nd. The rest are crap." There are also pedicabs and traditional crappy taxis. Uber had a dispute with the city government and left.

I have an iPhone 6S and am using the "schedule app." Love it.

I do NOT like the "calendar" version which populates a normal Outlook calendar with everything; it's very clumsy. The "app" with the schedule is easy on the eyes.

Hope that helps!
                        a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death. Pearl Buck

Comment

***The old way totally works. I've done it.

But for the past 2 years, I've found making my schedule on the website (log in with Facebook or create a profile) is easier for me visually. You can populate your schedule from a traditional laptop or on the AFF scheduling website, which then syncs with the app on your phone.

Originally posted by RichMike View Post
                          Hi! RML here. This is my favorite time of the year.

6th time at AFF (and did like 7-8 Creative Screenwriting Expos before that). If this helps:

Right now, I think Uber and Lyft are gone from Austin. On the AFF website or App store you can get "Fasten." I asked a local friend and he said "Fasten is the best (or least bad) option we have. With "Fare" being the 2nd. The rest are crap." There are also pedicabs and traditional crappy taxis. Uber had a dispute with the city government and left.

I have an iPhone 6S and am using the "schedule app." Love it.

I do NOT like the "calendar" version which populates a normal Outlook calendar with everything; it's very clumsy. The "app" with the schedule is easy on the eyes.

Hope that helps!
                          a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death. Pearl Buck

Comment

Hi. Crazy busy so I apologize for not reading the other responses. If you have more questions PM me. Hope I can be helpful.

I don't consider myself a "Done Dealer" but you will meet PLENTY of people (more on that later).

I've attended AFF 5 times so far and did 7-8 years with the Creative Screenwriting Mag Expo (Conference) in L.A. I'm opinionated, and you said this is your first writing/film festival, so this might get long.

1) Casual. Jeans. Tee shirts. Comfortable. If you are someone who gets "cold" a lot in the air conditioning, bring a sweater. Most people are hung over, most people need the a.c. on in those conference rooms, and the smaller rooms can get packed...so bring something. If you get hot (like me), jeans and t-shirt are fine. Shorts are pretty common since it's always blazing f*** hot in Austin, but mostly jeans. You're sitting a lot. At night...there will be times when you just roll on through in the same clothes. Usually, I like to take a break and dress up my jeans & boots with a nicer button shirt. I'm from the East Coast. So, no ... in the past 5 years I have never thought to myself at night "Oh, it's cool out." Never. It was either hot or I'm inside.

2) Parking. No suggestions here but that sucks. If people present alternatives for you, I'd listen. Drinking -- It's about your habits. Also, it's about your home base. I can run up a $100 bar tab with ease in a night at the Driskill. To offset that, I generally keep alcohol in my room, drink pretty much 24/7 to stay lubed, and look for happy hour specials. However, since you have a Producer's Badge, I'd take advantage of the open bars. Producer's Badge = FREE DRINKS AT PARTIES. It will help you pace yourself between parties and save money. The Driskill is the main bar, but it does get crowded. They have a nice happy hour drink special (varies) and decent happy hour food. But, across the street you can take advantage of the SFA's happy hours and food for a price break. It's underutilized. Around that area, there are a good selection of small shops for sandwiches, burritos, etc. that are reasonable -- and yes, that food truck on 7th is good. I usually throw a couple power bars in my bag because magic happens and you don't want to miss something because you're walking 4 blocks away to eat.

3) Sign up for 2 round tables at a time at the little table 2nd floor Driskill. Those are for everyone and held at the church. If you sign up for your max and want more, just show up at the church as spill over...if there are spots open right before it begins they usually let you in. *I don't know if the "Producer's Round Tables" are new or I missed them in years past. But the Producer Round Tables will be held at the Driskill.

4) I've made a lot of business contacts and friends there over the years. If you've been waiting to upgrade your phone, do it before hand. You'll be grabbing phone numbers and email addresses like crazy. I still carry business cards because when you're on the run, it's pretty easy to exchange cards and then catch up later via text. Also, AFF throws in some announcements on Twitter, but I find Twitter annoying in the midst of such a party!

5) Pitching there. Wow, it's intense. Very impressive. Every year. People are serious. A lot of good writers. Good pitching sessions.

Overall, here is my advice for your first time!

AFF is the "film festival for the writer." I usually make goals for myself: Personal, Professional-Craft, and Professional-Business. I plan out my schedule with 1 main choice for each time slot. Then I add 2 backups. I also map out "nap" time or "running time." Starting Wed night, I usually need a nappy time break by mid-Friday or a good run to sweat out the gallon of Tito's in my body. You may find yourself at 3 AM getting food truck tacos. Usually, those next mornings are brutal! And I noticed this year that Sat and Sun are LOADED with panels I want to see, so I need to be fresh. After all of that, I'll add a few films to my schedule, but I don't go for the films. Other people do and really love mixing the two schedules. That's your preference.

Be open. Be polite. Smile. Be prepared to meet, greet, and move on if you're going to maximize the Producer's Badge. You'll run into people over and over again.

When you meet someone or a group that you like, open up. Get to know them. I've watched and developed amazing friendships while there. Some talented, amazing, encouraging, nice people. Plenty of weird. Only a handful of jag*ffs (pretty rare).

The professionals there (especially the big named writers) tend to be open, friendly, and supportive. I try to treat them with respect, but also like regular people. Most of the ones I've become friends with, don't want to talk about themselves until they hear what you're working on, what you're struggling with, what you're doing...which is a real gift - IMO.

Hydrate. Naps. Take notes but don't ignore the magic in the room. Plan a schedule, be open to improvising.

Hope that helps! Enjoy!

Hi everyone, Austin is getting close. I was wondering how many of us Done Dealers are going to be attending?

Perhaps we should meet up?

I have never been to AFF, or any festival, can someone give me some basic info.

1) Attire?

Hopefully, we can meet...Good Luck Everyone

Comment

Thanks for the tips everybody. Look forward to possibly meeting some of you folks. I'd like to say I am the 'hot blonde in a mini skirt' but closer to the truth is the short haired brunette with a serious limp.
                              Cross your fingers for me that I don't fall flat on my face pitching. ha ha ha Public speaking (I should say Public anything) really isn't my thing.
                              Oh my first name is Amanda

Comment

Working...
                              X