Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: True Detective, Season 2

Good? Not sure I'd say that was a good hour of television. Maybe compared to the previous five episodes. Too many coincidences with the file and finding the exact person they're looking for at the orgy, which was about as lame of an orgy as you could imagine. Frank and Velcoro resolve some serious conflict over...coffee? And I really didn't get why Ani had to go to the orgy in the first place. Couldn't they have tailed the bus instead? Too much build up for little payoff.

Comment

Originally posted by thirdman23 View Post
      The end scene in ep 4 feels like a lame attempt to relive the glory of what was one of the single greatest TV moments I've ever scene with McConaughey in the projects - instead, they just highlighted how much worse the show is now than a year ago.

Ugh.

YES!!
      "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

I tried to watch this season but gave up on it. The first season ROCKED>but I was worried it was going to go flat when it came out that the second was going to be LA based with different cast, and I was right. They lost so much of what made the show, history, cultural, weird, ritual, mystery, set in a place not much known about, all combined made you want to come back for more.
        The second season, has some of that, but the whole mob/gangster element just turns me off, the characters are not intriguing me. Also to be honest after the 4th episode I forgot who it was that got killed and I wasn't interested enough to care. Such a shame.
        Looking for some light, and making things beautiful along the way.

Comment

Marty watches Season Two. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NItT8vlq3I
          Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Well. Start to finish that was pretty terrible. At least it veered into so-bad-it's-funny territory.

I hope they do not do a season 3.

Comment

The season finale was a lesson in earning your ending. I could tell what they wanted us to feel but they hadn't set it up properly so it felt forced.

They also tied up loose ends through mind numbing exposition which was terrible.

And if there wasn't exposition, it was just mind numbing dialogue in general. Frank and Jordan's conversation at Union Station about leaving or staying went on and on. We get it. Jordan wants to stay and Frank wants her to go. And why did they meet at Union Station only to have her be driven away in a car? Strange.

Speaking of which, characters continued to inexplicable things. Why did Ray drive into the forest when he would've been safer in a public place? Why was it impossible for him to dump the car and lose the men after him? After all, he just killed ten russians in the wilderness. Why did Frank feel the need to die and leave the love of his life alone for the diamonds? I get he needs money but isn't his happiness and his wife's happiness worth it?

There were nuggets of good things in here. It honestly could've been a pretty compelling season of TV. I like the idea to shift from serial killer mystery to conspiracy noire ala Chinatown. It just didn't all come together. The railway project just didn't seem to fit into the revenge story.

I will say again that they needed to focus on Frank and Ray (Vince Vaughn and Colin Ferrell). Cut out Ani and Woodrugh. Streamline the plot.

If they focused on the story of Ray's redemption, it could've been extremely powerful. Instead, everything felt watered down. Bloated but anemic at the same time.

I think Nic is extremely talented, obviously. But he really needs to collaborate with someone who can harness his talents and reign him in when he gets too full of himself.

I'd definitely watch season 3 if they bring another director with a strong vision for the whole season like Fukunaga.

Comment

"All the men die in shootouts, and the women are sent away to raise their babies. We'll have like one chick who we set up as this sexually adventurous, aggressive badass, but then in the end it'll turn out she's only sexual because she got raped, and she finds out she's not really as badass as she thinks she is. For the last couple episodes, we'll have her go to a sex party, where she kills a guy, and then she freaks out that she killed a guy, and then she'll just spend the rest of the show having sex and smoking and talking about how she wasn't really raped because she wanted it. That'll show my critics I'm not a misogynist!" - Nic Pizzolato, probably.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Boellner View Post
                  "All the men die in shootouts, and the women are sent away to raise their babies. We'll have like one chick who we set up as this sexually adventurous, aggressive badass, but then in the end it'll turn out she's only sexual because she got raped, and she finds out she's not really as badass as she thinks she is. For the last couple episodes, we'll have her go to a sex party, where she kills a guy, and then she freaks out that she killed a guy, and then she'll just spend the rest of the show having sex and smoking and talking about how she wasn't really raped because she wanted it. That'll show my critics I'm not a misogynist!" - Nic Pizzolato, probably.
                  So true! He's misandric, but who the f... cares, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by scriptus View Post
                    So true! He's misandric, but who the f... cares, huh?
                    You really think Pizzolatto hates men?

Comment

This season was a mess from start to finish. There were too few bright spots to justify the incoherent plot, cliched characters, and laugh out loud dialogue. And the central mystery about the dead city official (already forgot his name) amounted to virtually nothing. What a let down.

If this show gets a third season, Nic better get himself a team of writers and cede control to a competent showrunner. Otherwise, we'll be in store for more of the same, because let's be honest, he's really not all that talented. He benefited last season from incredible performances by Harrelson and McConaughey, excellent direction from Fukunaga, and dialogue partially ripped off from Tom Ligotti.

Comment

True Detective: Portlandia
                        should be Season 3.

I would love to see a season based on a non-US location, somewhere with a seedy underbelly and a rich history like:
                        - Bangkok
                        - Tangier
                        - Amsterdam
                        - Sarajevo
                        - Johannesburg
                        - Shanghai
                        - Barcelona

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper View Post
                          You really think Pizzolatto hates men?
                          Men must go through painful, and deadly, redemption, while women's crimes are just forgiven. Double f...ng standard. Yeah, that's misandry!

Comment

Working...
                          X